30 Day Money Back on dedicateds?

Just doing a check and do any dedicated server companies do 30 day money back or is it industry standard not to ?

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

You can't really do that without loss of money.

When someone orders a dedicated box it is fresh and brand new and has never been used before, except for maybe installing CP's mysql etc.

As almost every single dedicated hosting provider has a clause in their TOS that once you decide you don't want that server any more they will destroy it. Very few companies wipe the server, then put it up for sale again. Especially as many promise to protect your privacy and information which this would not do.

Nobody offer 30-days moneyback for Dedicated servers - otherwise this company's going to out of business in matter of months

Originally posted by MegaGeo
    As almost every single dedicated hosting provider has a clause in their TOS that once you decide you don't want that server any more they will destroy it. Very few companies wipe the server, then put it up for sale again. Especially as many promise to protect your privacy and information which this would not do.

Correct my if I am wrong, but I do not believe that most host destroy a server after it has been used. What if I rent a high end server from TP or SM and cancel after one month? Are they going to throw away the $6,000 server after I only paid $600? I think they simply format the hard drives and they give it to the next customer.

I have owned a dedicated server before, briefly and they stated that once I stop paying for it the hard drive is completely destroyed. So, maybe I was wrong there. They don't destroy all the parts, just the hard drive and replace it with a new one.

Don't think you will find many companies that do much more than format the disks and sell it again. Certainly destroying the whole thing would be crazy if it can still make you money.
    Steve

yeah format hard disk seem to be the reasonable way. destory hard disk doesn't make any sense, money wise.

If the server didn't work out for the customer there should be some sort of refund. Less the cost of services like bandwidth used etc.

Curious when you say destroy do you mean like with a hammer or a low level format?
    onering to rule them all
    shared and dedicated hosting
    www.goliathhosting.com
    www.goliathdomians.com

I'm sure the company that said they "destroy" meant that they destroy the data on the drive, not the drive itself.

Originally posted by onering
    If the server didn't work out for the customer there should be some sort of refund. Less the cost of services like bandwidth used etc.

Curious when you say destroy do you mean like with a hammer or a low level format?
    Well yes for customers that it didn't work out for, but sometimes you have people that just can't afford the very next month of their bill so they try to get out of it but claiming "it's not what they want", "linux is too hard to learn", "technical support is not good" Then if at setup the customers wants more RAM, hard drive space, or even security features done on the server, the company is out that admin time and the upgrades.

The only way I can see a 30 day money back working is if the company charges a setup fee, which is non-refundable. That way, if anything goes wrong, ie the customer tries to steal a month from them, they still have only a small loss.
    hostVentura
    adam.ferree@gmail.com
    AIM: windsofnihility

Its really not a huge loss to offer a 30 day money back guarantee. You are assuming that most people are going to collect on it. To the contrary, most people are honest and a 30 day money back guarantee gives them an extra level of confidence to place the order.

That's my experience, yours may vary.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

quite simply put, if you buy a product from a store and then return it using 30 day money back garantuee the store can still resell that product. If you rent a server use 600gig traffic then ask for your money back that bandwidth remains used, the server itself has been not making money for that month.

Originally posted by Chrysalis
    If you rent a server use 600gig traffic then ask for your money back that bandwidth remains used, the server itself has been not making money for that month.
    Yes, but you offset that loss with the added customers you will get when you sell more servers than you would have without a 30 day guarantee.

We held off offering this on our servers for a long time, because of the same fears you mention. Those fears were silly. Its basically the same principle of offering a 30 day MBG on small hosting packages...just on a larger scale. It works. I promise you.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I have not seen any companys that do this. If anyone has what are the special agreements on it?