How to get/use a server?

Hi,

My website is always using up it's bandwith allowance due to people downloading video's from my site.

I'm thinking about buying my own server and have a couple of questions I hoped you guys and gals could help me out with.

Apart from the actual server what else would I need?

Do i need a special type of connection to connect the server to the internet? My current DSL connection is 6mb but am sure will need some sort of 'super sized' connection. What is this?

Is there anything else I would need apart from the server software?

Would I be able to host other peoples site's from the server at the same time?

I know these are stupid newbie questions but I do apprieciate your help

Many thanks!!
    Sig free forever.

Hi,

Your best option is to rent a server from a datacenter. managed.com fdcservers.com ev1servers.net servermatrix.com and layeredtech.com are all popular choices.

The datacenters already have the high speed connections, most if not all have raised flooring, security, cooling, and generators in case of a power failure.

There are many configurations and price ranges to choose from so you are sure to find something within your budget.

If you have no experience running a server, you may want to employ a server management company such as acunett.com, rack911, or touchsupport. These companies will assist you in setting up and securing your server, and helping you when you run into problems.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Re: How to get/use a server?

Originally posted by Swerve1000

First off, if you rent a server.. Choose one with cPanel. This will help you do common task such as setting up new domains. Also will need a firewall, brute force detection, mod_security.. and other security related software.. This is something a server management company could install for you.

Yes!! You will be able to host as many sites as the server can handle. Again, if you choose cPanel on a rented server, it will make this extremely easy. Then you can give each one of your customers there own control panel.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Re: How to get/use a server?

Hi,
    Do i need a special type of connection to connect the server to the internet? My current DSL connection is 6mb but am sure will need some sort of 'super sized' connection. What is this?

Many thanks!!
    Your connection is probably not 6mb it is more likely 768 kbps unless you have sdsl which is super expensive. In web hosting the upload speed is really the only thing that matters. Renting a dedicated server is a much better option because you will have a multihoned connection with more of a burstable capacity.

Software is only a small part of owning a server. You need security, technical expertise and some luck on your side.

Absolutely, the whole point of a server is to host multiple sites.

Recommendation: Purchase a reseller account or A VPS (Virtual Private Server) I don't think you're ready to handle a big dedicated server on your own just yet. If you go that route you might want to invest in a reliable system administrator or a fully managed service.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Some fantastic information everyone. This is helping a lot. I'm currently using CPanel at the moment and yes, I find it great to use.

The re-seller accounts look good except for the bandwith ssue. A lot of the companies I've seen offering unlimted bandwith appear to be rather 'unstable'. Is this wrong?

Also does anyone know if I could use these re-seller accounts to host an online radio station with ShoutCast, my current host does'nt support the streams.

Thanks a lot everyone!
    Sig free forever.

You are right. Those who offer unlimited bandwidth are unstable and you should take daily backup of your account if you host with someone who offers unlimited bandwidth and diskspace.

Probablly you wont find any host who will allow to run Shoutcast Streaming on reseller account. You should think of getting a dedicated server from some good datacenter.

The re-seller accounts look good except for the bandwith ssue.
    Yes, you will find that with a VPS (VDS some places) you'll get more bandwidth, plus a little more control. In addition, most VPS offerings are fully managed, meaning you can let your provider handle the tough stuff while you learn to manage the server.

Originally posted by Swerve1000 A lot of the companies I've seen offering unlimted bandwith appear to be rather 'unstable'. Is this wrong?
    No, that's exactly right. Kudos for realizing it early! The unlimited bandwidth debate has become a hotseat of controversy, but the bottom line is there is no such thing as unlimited. True for everyday life, true for servers.

Originally posted by Swerve1000 Also does anyone know if I could use these re-seller accounts to host an online radio station with ShoutCast, my current host does'nt support the streams.
    You'll probably find most shared hosts will frown upon Shoutcast on their shared hosting servers because of the resource drain and bandwidth involved. Best bet for a SC server is a bottom line server with an AMD XP or Intel Celeron processor and no control panel. You can find these for a fairly low cost these days.

Thanks everyone. Looks like you've sent me on the right path.
    Sig free forever.

Do you have a bandwidth #, count or estimate of what you're using? Curious...