SQL Server 2005 Express for shared hosting purposes

I have some questions about the upcoming SQL Server 2005 Express edition which I am hoping someone could answer.

I have been reading about this version and it's limitations. If I understand things correctly, the workload governor is now history.

I am curious to know whether or not we can host MS-SQL databases for our website clients on this version or not. What I need to know is if it's allowed to host multiple SQL databases for multiply clients on this version. We are running those databases on SQL Server 2000 Standard today, but the SPLA licensing costs for that version are a bit high.

I have read all I can find about the SQL Server 2005 Express edition but the only thing I found was something saying that developers could ship this version with their products. That of course is not the case with those websites I have in mind - the webs and databases are designed by the developers, ready to install on the web- and SQL servers.

I heard somewhere that in order to be able to use SQL2K5 Express I would need to install a separate instance per customer. Is that true, and if so, how many instances could I install on a single machine without slowing it to much down?

Best regards,

Here's the link to compare Microsoft SQL Server 2005 versions

The express edition would be missing these features that would make it pretty useless for a web site.
    1) Full Text Search
    2) SQL Agent Job
    3) Enterprise Management Tools

The workgroup version looks beter but I'm pretty sure it is meant for developers only.

I suggest you stick with standard edition for web hosting. Most people will ask for SQL standard edition when needing MS SQL web hosting.

Do not use multiple instances of SQL Server unless you have alot of time for tweaking each instance.
    Chicago Job Resource
    YOUR career connection for Chicago jobs, careers and employment

Hi & thanks for the reply!

The databases concerned would not be needing the full text search or the SQL agent.

We would be running SQL Server Express & SQL Server Standard instances on the same server so we can use the Management tools provided with the latter for both instances.

Best regards,