DNS cluster (non cpanel)

Hello all,

I was wondering how can I cluster DNS on servers with no cpanel installed but have the ability to update cpanel servers (zones) as well.

For example:

server1 - dns only (Linux, no control panel at all) - US based
    server2 - dns only (Linux, no control panel at all) - UK based

hostingServer1 - cPanel
    hostingServer2 - cPanel
    hostingServer3 - No control panel

Let's say that a reseller who has an account at hostingServer1 add a new domain. How the record in server1 & server2 can be done?

Hope that the above is clear enough!

Any help is much appretiate.

setup cpanel to sync records on server 1 + 2.

Setup server 3 to rsync /var/named and reload named every 30 - 60 mins. You now have a dns cluster...

ns1 - cpanel1
    ns2 - cpanel2
    ns3 - dns

SpiritAu thanks for your answer.
    Any ideas if it will be a problem transfering the dns zones from CentOS bind to a Debian bind installation?

Obviously it's just the paths that I need to setup but I am asking just in case

Also what about the load? If I need to reload very often the dns then is it going to be any serious extra load (dns will be in 2 small vps packages)

Thanks

You shouldn't have any problems - just keep the paths the same when moving to Debian.

DNS dosn't really cause too much load on a few thousand zones so you should be safe on 2 VPS packages.

You could also install the cPanel DNS ONLY edition on them and use cpanel's clustering so it does it how it likes. IIRC, the DNS ONLY edition is free.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs