* Ready to leave JaguarPC for Vortech Hosting but...

Ok, after being with JaguarPC since they took over Aletia, I'm ready to leave. I'm done with the horrible email troubles, frequent DoS attacks and trouble tickets that go back and forth at least 10 posts each. (I will give them credit for not going down during the last DoS.) I also emailed Jag himself to voice my complaints and he never did respond. I'll never know if Masood is indeed a bot.

Anyway, I'm actually going to expand into reselling anyways since I'm constantly setting up sites. I did a little research here and elsewhere. I saw threadid=419855 this thread on webhostingtalkdotcom, which I can't link to because I am too new apparently, but most of those hosts are actually resellers and are not hosting themselves.

I've narrowed it down to Vortech Hosting (with Zipa.com coming in a close second and ready as a back-up ) but one thing makes me hesitate.

When I look up info on Vortech, I get the nameservers listed as ANONYMOUS-SERVERS.COM. And when I look up info for that, it takes me to Domainsbyproxy.com which is used by GoDaddy as private name registrar. So I can't tell if Vortech is really a reseller itself.

Can anyone tell me a. what this means and b. if this is a good jump?

Any other advice would be welcomed.

Re: Ready to leave JaguarPC for Vortech Hosting but...

Originally posted by hobbes747
    . . . When I look up info on Vortech, I get the nameservers listed as ANONYMOUS-SERVERS.COM. And when I look up info for that, it takes me to Domainsbyproxy.com which is used by GoDaddy as private name registrar. So I can't tell if Vortech is really a reseller itself.
    No, they're not classed as Resellers, although in some way, we all onsell/resell services we have purchased upstream. Vortech run their own servers in a cage in a datacenter. They have an offsite office, and have 24x7 physical access to the servers, if they need physical access to them.

Vortech have those nameservers registered like that so as to protect their resellers, who also probably have personalised nameservers. The Domainsbyproxy adds a layer of protection for resellers too, so that's a good thing.

Good luck with the reselling.

That's exactly what I wanted to know thank you.

Ok, I just found a post on Google Groups that says that Vortech Hosting shut down yellowtimes.org. Is this correct?

Not that my sites are anywhere that radical, but

Well, I went to sign up and it directed me to cp.hsphere.cc Why would one pay the hsphere people instead of the host themselves?

It seems fishy.

I have never used Vortech, but I can tell you that there is nothing fishy about being redirected to cp.hsphere.cc. That is probably just the ControlPanel server for Vortechs Hsphere Cluster. All Hsphere providers have an address that will be similar to that. If you still think its fishy, check some ohter Hsphere hosts and I am sure you will find the same cp.theirservicedomain.com at all of them. Hope this helps.

Ah I'm sorry, it wasn't the subdomain; it was the .cc part that was odd. The domain/ip eventually brought up the host's name at samspade. So no problem.

Anyway, I'm all signed up and have 30 days to check it all out. Thanks!
    Last edited by hobbes747; 07-05-2005 at 08:16 AM.

That's exactly what I wanted to know thank you.

Ok, I just found a post on Google Groups that says that Vortech Hosting shut down yellowtimes.org. Is this correct?

Not that my sites are anywhere that radical, but
    Yes we did this about 2+ years ago and is about the only site we have ever had to shut down for any thing like that. They had many images of dead US and overseas Soldiers. We were getting calls from customers, US gov and others about this site.

We just did not feel it was something we would wanted to allow on our systems. We did give them time to find a new host and since they moved they also removed most of the images.

That was an extreme case.

God Bless our Soldiers.

I don't think Vortech is a reseller
    Dixiy.com - Professional Web Hosting Provider since 2002
    AutoCreation.net - Automation Solution for cPanel Hosting! + Illegal File Scanner
    WHDir.net - Your complete Web Hosting Directory with Hosting/Server Tutorials

Raptors

You are right we own all of our servers, routers and any other hardware. We also do not by bandwidth from our colo we have all of our own lines coming in from Progress Telcom AKA epik, Internap, Cogent and Peering in NAP of Americas in Miami. We take up about 75% of the DC we are in right now. Just less headaches for us to worry about renting cage space and power. This lets us focus on what we do best.

hobbes747, feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions.

Hi Hobbes,
    I got your email and replied the same day but your road runner email address was bounced back. Your account here also is not able to receive pm's. Im sorry your looking at leaving us but even if you do I would like to ask a moment of your time to go over some of your concerns. I was unable to locate any recent tickets based from the information in your email. Please let me know another contact other than that road runner one if you would, thank you.
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com

God Bless our Soldiers. [/B]
    Well, hm. If I want freedom of speech, I guess I should go with Zipa.com, since they host somethingawful.com and don't appear to censor much at all.

Originally posted by Jag
    Hi Hobbes,
    I got your email and replied the same day but your road runner email address was bounced back. Your account here also is not able to receive pm's. Im sorry your looking at leaving us but even if you do I would like to ask a moment of your time to go over some of your concerns. I was unable to locate any recent tickets based from the information in your email. Please let me know another contact other than that road runner one if you would, thank you.
    Ok, there we go. Half of the problem is because I'm an idiot. I had been there so long, I had not updated my email address on Jaguar's forums from when I lived in a whole other state. So you couldn't respond to my board email.

I have emailed you back Jag.
    Last edited by hobbes747; 07-05-2005 at 03:33 PM.

Well, hm. If I want freedom of speech, I guess I should go with Zipa.com, since they host somethingawful.com and don't appear to censor much at all.
    It's not that we were trying to censor their freedom of speech, it was the images and some of them would have been on the adult side. Since we do not allow adult on our shared system to keep them from getting block, we thought it was best for our overall customer base and system security.

I understand your issue fully, but in 5 years we have only had an issue like this that touched on adult, freedom of speech, and showing dead US Soldiers.

yellowtimes.org is not even around any longer or I would show you that even after they moved there new host also had issues with there images. They cleaned there act up a bit and removed a lot of stuff, but it seems yellowtimes.org is no longer up and running.

I wish you luck with who ever you choose and hope you don't let something like this make a difference in your choice.

Thanks

Okay, I've had a reseller account for a while at Vortech and just realized, after FTP kept disconnecting every other try, that I'm on a server with 1000 other sites. Jeebus. One of my resold sites is on a server with 700 other sites.

I think Jaguar had a limit to the number of sites on a VPS and I'm pretty sure their shared hosting limit was nowhere near that high.

I wish Zipa wasn't so expensive.

Dreamhost is out because of the rolling blackouts.

Is there no decent mid-range host?

At this point, I'm ready to go back to Jaguar. Even though they still have frequent attacks on their pipes. And Masood still doesn't know wtf. No idea what's up with their SMTP though.
    Last edited by hobbes747; 11-21-2005 at 01:58 AM.

Okay, I've had a reseller account for a while at Vortech and just realized, after FTP kept disconnecting every other try, that I'm on a server with 1000 other sites.
    Vortech uses H-Sphere and makes use of clustering. Web servers are separated from database servers and email servers. Thus, 1000 websites per web server translates in reality a significantly lower number of websites per physical server once the email and database servers are taken into account.

That doesn't mean there weren't any FTP problems though.

Really doesn't matter how they have it set up if the site is terribly slow and FTP keeps timing out.

Not only that, but the automatic timeout set at 5 minutes or whatever per FTP session is pretty annoying. I've never seen that anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes747
    Not only that, but the automatic timeout set at 5 minutes or whatever per FTP session is pretty annoying. I've never seen that anywhere else.
    If you can't decide what file you want to upload within 5 minutes, you're going to have a problem with a large number of hosts.

ML

Quote Originally Posted by MeatLoaf
    If you can't decide what file you want to upload within 5 minutes, you're going to have a problem with a large number of hosts.

ML
    You're not a developer, huh? Edit, upload, edit, upload, take a few minutes to write a bunch of code, go to upload it and FTP has been reset. It's annoying, especially if you've been coding the same way for 5 years.

I got Aletia in 2001 and between that and all of the other hosts I've used, I've never had a host timeout their FTP sessions like this.

You guys like that sort of thing, go ahead and use them for a host. For me? It sucks. Too many users on a server, clustered or not, it's showing on the performance. FTP is a joke. Forget it.
    Last edited by hobbes747; 11-21-2005 at 11:34 PM.

hobbes, most every host has FTP timeouts, I promise you that.

Maybe I wasn't clear that my point was that the timing out is really really really frequent.

This is separate from the issue where the FTP was failing every other try. This is the server timing out the connection on purpose.

I use FileZilla. When FTP times out, it tries to reconnect. No problem. It happened on Jaguar, say every 15 minutes, and I usually didn't have to physically make it reconnect.

On Vortech, it happens so frequently, it freaks out FileZilla and I have to restart the program to get it to connect again.

Anyone remember the FTP program that, if you used the free version, it wouldn't reconnect when it timed out, but if you used the pay version, it would Keep Alive for you? The difference is much like that.

Maybe this will help.

Vortech:
    Response:
    Response: * This system may not be used for purposes not directly related to your web site's operation.
    Response: * Any account found with IRC clients, bots, bouncers, or daemons will be immediately suspended.
    Response: * Attempts to compromise system integrity or security will probably be noticed.
    Response: * Ignorance of the Acceptable Use Policy/Terms of Service is not a valid excuse.
    Response:
    Response: Thank you for your attention
    Response:

Status: Connected with unixblah.blah.com. Waiting for welcome message...
    Response: 220-UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS FORBIDDEN

Response: 421 No Transfer Timeout (300 seconds): closing control connection.
    Error: Disconnected from server

Error: Timeout detected!

Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
    This is the point where I physically have to reconnect and if it doesn't work, restart Filezilla, losing all of the file paths that were in the temp drop down.

Meh, I was waiting for Jaguar's to disconnect, but it says this in the header

Jaguar:
    Response: 220-You are user number 2 of 50 allowed.
    Response: 220-Local time is now 22:16. Server port: 21.
    Response: 220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
    Response: 220-IPv6 connections are also welcome on this server.
    Response: 220 You will be disconnected after 15 minutes of inactivity.
    Ok, 19 minutes later, I'm still waiting for Jaguar's to disconnect me.

Maybe I wasn't clear that my point was that the timing out is really really really frequent.
    Nope, your point about "the automatic timeout set at 5 minutes" was perfectly clear. Most providers leave it set to that (the default is 300 seconds).

As a developer, one could assume you would have a local testing environment to use prior to sending up files to a live server.

If you have got lucky, and found some providers that have increased the limits (most will, upon request, as it is just the default setting that is being applied), then well done. But you're on a shared server, and along with every other user on it you have limits to the number of FTP sessions available to you and limits to how long you can leave one of them hanging open. Your host might make some changes for you, but that's not something you can get done by complaining on WHT.

As a developer, one could assume you would have a local testing environment to use prior to sending up files to a live server.
    Not everything can be done on a local environment.

If you have got lucky, and found some providers that have increased the limits (most will, upon request, as it is just the default setting that is being applied), then well done. But you're on a shared server, and along with every other user on it you have limits to the number of FTP sessions available to you and limits to how long you can leave one of them hanging open. Your host might make some changes for you, but that's not something you can get done by complaining on WHT.
    You're right. With a 1000 sites on a box, I'm sure they have to limit the FTP sessions.

Firstly, I'm letting people know my experience, which is really important here. I left JaguarPC for Vortech, and guess what! The grass isn't greener! I have bigger problems. Secondly, I've been more able to talk directly to Jag and the guy who runs Vortech here rather than through their sites. Thirdly, when did you decide how things should run at WHT in your month here?

FYI, I started this thread and I think purpose of the thread is clear in the title.

You're right. With a 1000 sites on a box, I'm sure they have to limit the FTP sessions.
    Your lack of understanding about clustered servers is your problem.

Thirdly, when did you decide how things should run at WHT in your month here?
    My apologies. I thought I was helping to improve your level of knowledge about something you're clearly struggling with. I didn't realise you were still such a child. By all means, carry on complaining and give the adults something to smile about.

ML

It was a joke. Since you started in with this...

I doubt your claim.

Ah, I should have read your posting history before taking your troll bait. My mistake.

Then you're easily amused. Given that he is posting as "Amir", and has Micfo in his forum profile, I'd say that anybody who wasn't extremely bored with life would be able to ascertain that he was speaking generally about the whole situation.

ML
    So you obviousy have no problems with making a fool of yourself on public forums.

no need to answer - I was just stating the obvious
    What works for you is whatever lets you big note yourself more at any given time on WHT. It was alright for you to tell your client to calm down here http://httpme.com/showthread.php?threadid=8023 but today it doesn't "work for you".

I was speaking in general, but you turned it in to some personal attack by being a hypocrite about the matter. You need to get off forums for a breather.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...9&postcount=23

Your tone suggests you didn't read the thread at all.

Now back on topic, where real people can tell me I'm a dumbass, thanks.
    Last edited by hobbes747; 11-22-2005 at 07:07 AM.

Now back on topic, where real people can tell me I'm a dumbass, thanks.
    Get used to it, dumbass. *yawn*

Back to Jaguar. Seems that things have improved and I've seen new names signing the help tickets. As well as Masood. In fact, now they have Ruby on Rails and I can offer it as a feature.

I've kept my account at Vortech for the transition, which is finalizing now.

Things are getting worse with Vortech. My email broke completely over the weekend on one account, maybe more. FTP has been going up and down. Can't get to it at all right now. And their site has even been unreachable occasionally.

Maybe this is a feature of clustered servers.

Yeah RoR could be an added vantage for the moment but don't you think this is quite an old thread

Quote Originally Posted by cunning
    Yeah RoR could be an added vantage for the moment but don't you think this is quite an old thread
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding here but I would say that since hobbes747 started the thread, he wanted to update us as to his situation. Thanks hobbes747
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Quote Originally Posted by catfished
    Thanks hobbes747
    Indeed, well done hobbes747! Giving updates is a very good thing!