hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : Domain cost to a Registrar?

Forum Jump

Domain cost to a Registrar?

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Junior Guru

Domain cost to a Registrar?

Hi Guys

What is the cost for a Registrar to register / transfer a doamin?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2005, 06:05 AM
Multimedia Messenger #McLuhan

The cost of per name year actually depends on the volume of registrations and respective TLD:

http://icann.org/registrars/accredit...financials.htm

For instance, it would cost US$6.25+ for registering, renewing or transferring a .com.

Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism in his #multimedia portfolio. His early works include an experimental adaptation of Chekhov’s Cherry Orchard inspired at least partly by Robert Fripp. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management.

Old 07-05-2005, 07:40 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Re: Domain cost to a Registrar?

Quote:
Originally posted by AskAR
Hi Guys

What is the cost for a Registrar to register / transfer a doamin?
As far as I know there is only $0.25 icann fee.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2005, 08:32 AM
Web Hosting Master

Minimum of $6.25

Old 07-05-2005, 10:45 AM

Re: Re: Domain cost to a Registrar?

Quote:
Originally posted by samdax
As far as I know there is only $0.25 icann fee.
I am looking forward to some 99 cents .com very soon.

Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism in his #multimedia portfolio. His early works include an experimental adaptation of Chekhov’s Cherry Orchard inspired at least partly by Robert Fripp. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management.

Old 07-05-2005, 12:51 PM

It's $6.25 per domain plus all of the thousands of dollars in yearly ICANN and other fees.

Even if you are doing abount 1,000,000 domains it would be shocking if you could get the price down to $6.50 per domain.
After time and support (unless you and your employees work for nothing, or if you only have a few hours of support a day) it is hard to really sell it below $7.00 without really taking a potential loss.

Old 07-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Web Hosting Master

I agree with Tiggee, anything below $7 / $8 is not worth selling!

Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals

Old 07-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Web Hosting Master

Certain extensions such as .biz, .name etc are like 5.50 ea but overall 6.25 is the registrar cost. With a number of companies selling for 6.99 or under 8.00 it is very hard to many any money on domain names alone

Old 07-07-2005, 01:39 AM
Web Hosting Master

I believe most of you guys are incorrect on the fees. Anyone with serious thoughts on this, please contact me. I am serious about doing this and would like to partner up 50/50.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:56 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
I believe most of you guys are incorrect on the fees.
And I KNOW you are incorrect - but hey find out the hard way like eveyone else

Old 07-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by mouseattack
I believe most of you guys are incorrect on the fees. Anyone with serious thoughts on this, please contact me. I am serious about doing this and would like to partner up 50/50.
Well I was serious too. That I is why I spent the better part of 80 hours drafting up all my documents, reading, and talking to the "right" people on the phone. After it was all said and done I realized (IMHO) the only money to be made was in the drop market and just one connection to the registry didn't seem worth it to me. But hey, prove us all wrong if you can. BTW, what you makes you believe we all are wrong?

Last edited by eSology; 07-07-2005 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but I probably won't just "partner" with anybody out there when it comes to serious business like ICANN accreditation. Or are you talking about registering or transferring a domain name?

Old 07-08-2005, 04:41 AM
Web Hosting Master

Probably the actual cost of domain's depends upon the volume of the registration, they usually get a good bulk discount on large volume.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:55 AM

Quote:

You know it takes like an hour to look through most of the fees.
After you spend another 20 hours you will notice a few more hidden here and there.
Why do you think registrars all offer hosting and other services? There is "NO" money in domain names anymore. It's not like the good old days of NetSol when they would charge $150 per year per name.

But you must be right..... Domains are only a few cents per year.
When you do start your business please let all us know. We would love to buy from you if you could manage to sell them for a $1.

Old 07-08-2005, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiggee
It's not like the good old days of NetSol when they would charge $150 per year per name.
I'm sure they (NetSol) started out asking for that much, but was only curbed down by the U.S. Department of Commerce later. Those greedy bastards!

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
This Company is Reminding You to Renew Your Domain, But It's Not Your Registrar Blog 2014-03-13 14:00:42
Registrars That Complied with UK Police Orders Violated ICANN Policy: easyDNS Web Hosting News 2013-10-11 10:33:31
Host Europe Group Launches Domain Management Service for SMEs Web Hosting News 2013-04-24 14:31:28
Domain Registrar Namecheap Launches SSL Reseller Program Web Hosting News 2013-01-31 15:30:14
Web Host Melbourne IT says it May Sell Individual Units After Nine-Month Low Web Hosting News 2012-11-26 11:53:07