Domain name from another company

Hi all,

We have a server with servermatrix, and a domain with them as well. We want to move our forums to a hosting provider (keeping the server/domain at servermatrix), and make domain entry to point forums.ourdomain.com to whatever the ip is for the hosting provider. Is this possible? It's been a while since I've done any domain stuff, but I believe that we'd need a dedicated IP to point to, as dns resolved the name to an ip, and we would be directed to whatever the default website is for that ip which probably wouldn't be ours.

If that is possible? Do any web hosts offer this? Or would we need to go the VPS route? Or am I way off base?

Thanks!
    Nate
    Last edited by ntjones; 07-05-2005 at 05:14 PM.

This is very possible, will just need to edit the A record on the server for forums.yourdomain.com

Then setup a shared account with someone with the named domain of forums.yourdomain.com and this will work fine.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

Just note that with this setup if they servermatrix box is down, your forums will have the same fate. (unless the DNS is cached on the person's PC and/or ISP)

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Correct, getting a VPS and running a DNS cluster on both might be a good option.

Running a VPS for around $30 or so a month would work fine, also that might be the better way togo if you have a large forum.

Heh, thanks for the quick replies, though you confused me a bit.

Rodney, are you saying that this is possible with any host? Or just vps? Is a dedicated IP needed?

The reason I ask is that we currently host our forums at greatboard.com. I made an A entry to point www.ourdomain.com to forums.greatboard.com. However, what happens when you go to www.ourdomain.com is that you go to www.greatboard.com, instead of forums.greatboard.com. Someone told me that this is because both of those sites have the same ip, and thats all the dns entry resolves to. Thus the necessity of having a dedicated ip.

Elix, why would our box at server matrix effect the domain? We use servermatrix's dns server, if that helps.

It is possible with anyhost that used a name based host, which any cPanel or Plesk accounts forsure would do this.

If you are using servmatrix's DNS then it will not matter.

Thanks Rodney.

I take that back, we are using a cname entry for the forums currently. I can't use A because it errors off when I submit saying that it "it must be a valid ip". And of course, I can't use the IP because it will take me to www.greatboard.com instead of our forums.

Sir,

You will be able to add a A entry for like forums.yourdomain.com once you get the hosting account, just need to find out the virtual address and namedbase in apache will take care of the rest as long as your register the hosting account for like forums.yourdomain.com

Let me know if that confuses you more, as it was not suppose to, but could have...

Originally posted by Rodney-E2
    ... as long as your register the hosting account for like forums.yourdomain.com
    I think that is the part that I am missing. Is this something the hosting company does?

Just setup a new hosting account with whom you are going to use with the domain of forums.yourdomain.com

Then you DNS at SM will point to that IP when you specify it.

Right but see thats what I'm saying. If I try that with greatboard, I can't use the ip because forums.greatboard.com (forums=our forum name) is the same as www.greatboard.com. So we get the default web site for that ip, which is not ours of course.

Is this different at other hosting places? Btw, greatboard's suggestion was to use frame forwarding, we dont' want to do.

Sorry you won't be able to do it like that because greatboard isn't setting it up with your domain. They're setting it up with something.greatboard.com. Find someone who can set it up with forums.yourdomain.com

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

is this a seperate domain or are you talking about the same domainthat you currently have with your hosting company? If it is a diferent domain then yes that can be done via advanced dns settings with most registrar.

Talking about the domain that I have registered at servermatrix. I want to keep that domain there, and point it over to the new host I will be getting (or even to greatboard for that matter).

Originally posted by elix
    Sorry you won't be able to do it like that because greatboard isn't setting it up with your domain. They're setting it up with something.greatboard.com. Find someone who can set it up with forums.yourdomain.com

-GSV
    I think I understand. I'll give it a shot with the new host.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Nate

Let us know if you need anything else!