Thumbs up Micfo - 1 year later

It's now been just over a year since I switched to Micfo for my hosting needs. Over all I can rate them a solid A, in terms of service and value.
    I started off with their MG-Super plan, which was upgraded to the Special plan when the server I was on suffered some down time due to a motherboard failure. (see http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=327559)
    In the time since that incident I have had great uptime, great performance of the server I'm on, and remarkable support when needed. I've been monitoring my primary site since August of 2004 using SiteUpTime http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics...6&UserId=12323
    I have a couple of sites running under my main account,
    http://hipower-rocketry.com
    http://rocketrylist.com
    http://nerrf.com
    http://nerrf.com/gallery
    along with some development sites.
    They range from simple static sites to dynamic, and all have run well.

So at the end of one year I am still very happy with Micfo, I plan on upgrading my account to take advantage of a promo they are running for existing customers and staying with them for the foreseeable future.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Tom, that's great to hear people are still able to find hosting providers that make them happy over long-term periods. Let's hope the positive experience continues for you.

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Cool do you have a link to there site? I am currently looking for a new host.

Thanks,

Jack

Great review, nice to see a good one year review with all the bad reviews I read here daily.
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

Originally posted by jack3
    Cool do you have a link to there site? I am currently looking for a new host.

Thanks,

Jack

Sure, its http://micfo.com.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Well thought trau to come here give us an update on your experience with Micfo. Thank you.

Let's hope the positive experience continues for you.
    For you too Art.

There is a month since I moved to the Micfo hosting.
    There is one good thing I must to say about Micfo. They have fast support. Usually u getting replay in 20-30 min. ButÖ
    I have forum with 20-40 users online, 1000 hosts per day. I use vBulletin forum, just like this, but version 3. It is good script optimized for large forums, so it not do heavy load to server for small board like my.
    So, after I moved to Micfo, first, the server was not configured well, and MySQL runs out of connections all the time. After MySQL was configured, my forum was hacked, cause of server software was not updated, and hacker used one of vulnerabilities.
    After this, the board was very slow, and database run out of connections from time to time. I asked to move my account to other server.
    After migration, most of time the forum works well, but there is periods of slowness. At least, database doesnít deny connections until now.
    So, if somebody say Micfo is very good hosting, maybe for small sites with little database usage.
    I moved to Micfo from icdsoft.com cause of low traffic limit. During the year my forum was on Icdsoft, there were no problems at all, and forum was fast all the time, with no any database problems. So, if your site not produce many traffic, Icdsoft is perfect.

And after all the problems, today dns was changed to old server, and old acount was not deleted, so all visitors started to write in wrong forum. I happy that i am not canceled my old acount, an i moved forum back to my previous hosting.
    Micfo good only for homepage, and not for serious site.

Originally posted by Geser
    And after all the problems, today dns was changed to old server, and old acount was not deleted, so all visitors started to write in wrong forum. I happy that i am not canceled my old acount, an i moved forum back to my previous hosting.
    I dont think you have very good creditability to say that Micfo is only good for a homepage.. After someone has hosted with them for OVER a year.. and Says they are good (And that they have been on these forums and active posting here with 350+ posts...) Then I would rather believe Tom over someone who JUST JOINED to post that and the there TOTAL post count is only in this thread (Total posts- 2 [And they are in the same thread])

Your incidents may have or may havent happened.. But one can only find it hard(er) to believe someone that is new and has a low post count as yourself..

I moved to Micfo from icdsoft.com cause of low traffic limit. During the year my forum was on Icdsoft, there were no problems at all, and forum was fast all the time, with no any database problems. So, if your site not produce many traffic, Icdsoft is perfect.
    [/B]
    Not sure, But I dont think you can advertise like that

Geser,

I'm sorry to hear you had issues. But your statement is inaccurate. Granted my sites are not the busiest in the world (they wouldn't be on shared hosting if they were) since hobby/amateur rocketry is a small community, but just prior to the event the NERRF site was receiving respectable traffic. And after the event when the photo gallery went up there was another good sized spike from users viewing and uploading pictures. June's statistics for that site showed over 4500 visits, with almost 900,000 hits, and 3.64GB in traffic. Granted a small site in the scheme of things, but hardly a homepage. That site is a dynamic site using Mambo and has always run well (except for the times when operator error (me) caused issues).

Not sure, but I dont think you can advertise like that
    He may recommend a service that he has used or is currently using. whois.sc/virusinfo.info shows idcsoft as the registrant of the domain, so you might want to get complete control over that domain Geser. It would also lend more credibility to your review.

Originally posted by trau
    Geser,

I'm sorry to hear you had issues. But your statement is inaccurate. Granted my sites are not the busiest in the world (they wouldn't be on shared hosting if they were) since hobby/amateur rocketry is a small community, but just prior to the event the NERRF site was receiving respectable traffic. And after the event when the photo gallery went up there was another good sized spike from users viewing and uploading pictures. June's statistics for that site showed over 4500 visits, with almost 900,000 hits, and 3.64GB in traffic. Granted a small site in the scheme of things, but hardly a homepage. That site is a dynamic site using Mambo and has always run well (except for the times when operator error (me) caused issues).
    Almost each hosting (also, may be, free hosting) good for sites with less then 300-500 visitors/day. The real difference is for sites with more then 500 visitors/day. I have up to 1000 visitors/day and 10G of monthly traffic.

Your incidents may have or may havent happened.. But one can only find it hard(er) to believe someone that is new and has a low post count as yourself..
    Hm.., you can donít believe me.

Order Information:
    virusinfo.info (Primary) Domain:
    Transfer Registrars @ $7.95
    Main Package MG Super:
    12-Months @ $83.40 + Setup: FREE
    1 GB Extra Disk Space:
    (One Time Fee) + Setup: $20.00
    Domain(s) Total $7.95
    Package(s) Total $83.40
    Package(s) Setup $20.00
    Sub Total $111.35
    Total Due $111.35*
    * $83.40 will be due on the next renewal date: 05/28/2006
    (Domain renewals billed separately.)

Payment Method:
    PayPal
    My order information, as proof of the fact I have account on this hosting. And I hope I will get my money back.

I know that Amir frequents this forum, so perhaps he'll join in and better explain what I'm about to say.
    I know that Micfo places users of different plans on different servers as well as placing fewer accounts on servers hosting the bigger accounts. Servers hosting the MG-Super accounts are more heavily loaded with users than say the MG-Special or MG-Deluxe servers are. This makes sense since people with the bigger accounts will more than likely stress the server more than those with smaller.
    Perhaps a busy forum with a 1000 visitors a day and 20-40 users at a time would have been better off with the special or deluxe package (thus placed on a server with fewer accounts).

Originally posted by platinumn23
    After someone has hosted with them for OVER a year.. and Says they are good (And that they have been on these forums and active posting here with 350+ posts...) Then I would rather believe Tom over someone who JUST JOINED to post that and the there TOTAL post count is only in this thread (Total posts- 2 [And they are in the same thread])
    So those who make most noise are most trust worthy??? And the quiet one must be lying???

What about G's paypal receipt notification?
    Last edited by sgizero; 07-06-2005 at 04:28 PM.

If they know that servers with MG-Super heavy loaded and not good for forum with 1000 visitors/day they must tell this, and not answer that server works good to all my complains.
    It is not a problem for me to add 5$/month to get my forum works properly.

I was administrator of other forum more then 2 years (more then 500 visitors/day), and I have my own forum almost year, and additional much smaller site. Each site on different hosting. I know what is good hosting, and what is average hosting. Micfo have good support, but average hosting quality. Definitely not for dynamic sites that have 1000+ visitors/day.
    Micfo offers a lot of traffic, and a lot of disk space. It makes peoples to think they can host on Micfo popular site with many visitors, but itís wrong. Itís just advertisement. U canít host on Micfo site that relay use all that they offers (may be only some pictures/file archive that donít do server load).
    And vBulletin is fast forum. Peoples using phpBB will have problems with 500 visitors per day or less.
    Generally I am not saying Micfo is bed hosting, it is average hosting for small sites. Thatís all.

Seems like if you give a bad review or raise a complaint you just end up getting attacked or second-guessed. I guess the customer's never right unless they suck up.

Geser,

What you are trying to say is that their shared plans cannot handle huge amounts of visitors?

That is not an issue; this is just how every web host functions. If your website has 200/visitors online at once, your website is not suited for a shared environment.

It is best if you pick a VPS or dedicated server.

trau,

Glad to hear that you had a pleasant experience with Micfo, hope the pleasant experience continues.

Originally posted by WN-Ali
    Geser,

What you are trying to say is that their shared plans cannot handle huge amounts of visitors?

That is not an issue; this is just how every web host functions. If your website has 200/visitors online at once, your website is not suited for a shared environment.
    No, I have only 20-50 visitors online. It is not too much for shared hosting, I think. In fact, it was no problems with server load on other hosting. The problem was low traffic limit, and no possibility to upgrade. They simple have no planes with more traffic.

Originally posted by Jalberts
    Seems like if you give a bad review or raise a complaint you just end up getting attacked or second-guessed. I guess the customer's never right unless they suck up.
    Good point. I've read quite a few threads like that when I did a search. Smells fishy, I'd say.

My personal experience with Micfo is very positive. However, I know some people do not like them.
    According to my customer satisfaction research on Micfo, (which I did before signing up with them) about 80% or so of all customers like this host. This is a better rating than most companies have. (I search all over the web, not just on this forum!)
    Web Hosting Reviews ó based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

If they know that servers with MG-Super heavy loaded and not good for forum with 1000 visitors/day they must tell this, and not answer that server works good to all my complains.
    It is not a problem for me to add 5$/month to get my forum works properly.
    I agree, looks like someone dropped the ball on this.

Nope, guess again. I simply questioned a comment made that seemed completely out of place based on my experience (server only good for a homepage). A little discussion between Geser and me seems to have explained why we have differing experience.

As to the second part of your statement, I think most reputable companies learn a lot from valid complaints. Also since most of what I see on this forum is complaints about various hosts, I don't quite get the suck up part of your comment.

nice to read a good review for once! let us know if their service continues to be good.

It's now been just over a year since I switched to Micfo for my hosting needs. Over all I can rate them a solid A, in terms of service and value.
    Thats great to hear that micfo are keeping up there untarnished reputation.

Well done.

Originally posted by trau
    Nope, guess again. I simply questioned a comment made that seemed completely out of place based on my experience (server only good for a homepage). A little discussion between Geser and me seems to have explained why we have differing experience.

As to the second part of your statement, I think most reputable companies learn a lot from valid complaints. Also since most of what I see on this forum is complaints about various hosts, I don't quite get the suck up part of your comment.
    Just ran into this forum searching on Micfo Problems..

I'd have to second the 'look further'.

webhostingunleashed dot com

Looking here, by number of recommends, and checking that vs total reviews give a good indicator for many sites. Doesn't have everyone though.

Closing all the problem threads in their forum is a huge sign of weakness. If they would simply be HONEST, and use the complaints to fix the problems they'd be great. It's silly that they put the cart before the horse, and fix all the little details but don't bother fixing the overall problem that created the problems with the details.

They hide the real problem from themselves by not letting the people dealing with them discuss the complaints and say what really needs fixing. The billing/tech support seperation is very poor, right now my account is waiting on billing verification to be put to the 4GB/160GBM limits it's supposed to be, so I can set up my accounts in WHM. That'd be FINE, IF this hadn't already been done a week or two ago. Billing 'fixed it' then, but they obviously didn't fix it in the right place for WHM. And why is my paid account not upped and checked with billing on their time not mine?

They COULD be a 98 or 99% host! And what's more, they could do it and have LESS work for themselves by taking action on good suggestions and not having so many little unnecessary problems to deal with. Instead, by hiding complaints in their forums and not fixing the overall problems, they make themselves an 80% host instead of a 98% or better one.

While he seems like a nice enough guy, Amir's philosophy on how to handle complaints is off a bit, causing both the customers and the company quite a bit of harm. And where I've seen correct criticism, he tends to get defensive and take it personally instead of realizing that people are trying to help him and themselves out . While 80% is better than most, it's silly to have only 80% when 95% or better could be done, and with the same or less total work.

I generally like the place, and my needs for now are actually pretty light. The problems I've had are relatively minor too, but that it has occurred again is a sign of an organizational fault that isn't being corrected, and when people suggest to fix it it gets deleted. Tech support isn't making the slightest effort to correct my account until they check with billing. Completely *** backwards, do they think I'm going to steal 160GB of traffic before tomorrow when they could check with billing on their own time not mine?

Wouldn't want to have any real problems with them, with logic this poor. While I'm 2 months in, I did the free month so the bill wasn't until about a month ago. While they may send answers fast, their lack of good response and consideration for the customer is enough to seriously consider cancelling them.

Tech support answers fast, but billing comes first, and the customer is last in the race every time. No doubt their response would be 'the customer is always first, but you're just last because we had to check with billing..'. It's a shame too, with most of the other aspects of Micfo being very good.

Alan

I have been using Micfo for 2 year. I have good experience with theri tech support. Customer sevice is excellent

Originally posted by crazymonter
    I have been using Micfo for 2 year. I have good experience with theri tech support. Customer sevice is excellent
    Hi, could you share what your domain is with them?
    Like passive recurring revenue you can retire on?
    You focus on building your brand, we handle all support, billing, and more.
    Pressed.net - Start your own Managed WordPress Hosting Company

I am glad to hear that some servers at Micfo are still OK. Mine has not been recently.

Micfo recently have had server problems and they acknowledge this (see thread at forums.micfo.com/showthread.php?t=2079 on their forums - you'll have to copy and past the URL as I am not allowed to post URLs here yet ).

I would add that they have also had serious DNS server problems, and support communication problems. I am not concerned by small delays in support staff response, but by the ineffectiveness and lack of information of their support tickets (usually: "it's now working", but then it's not, or when it is fixed, the problem reappears the next day. No information given about the cause or the cure).

Amir, the owner, promises in that thread to announce within 7 days a radical change at Micfo that will clear all these problems up. I personally am ready to give them that time, even though the last 3 months with them have been very bad on my server.

Of course I am new on this board, so you may query the validity of my claims. Here is the siteuptime summary of my server at Micfo which you can check at mg-dolce.micfo.com (you'll have to copy the address to your browser). There are 302 domains lodged on that server, although probably a lot fewer accounts, since each account can have up to 6 domains.

Year Month Outages / Checks Uptime Downtime
    2005 August 2 / 5409 94.768% 5.232%
    2005 July 12 / 8857 95.111% 4.889%
    2005 June 20 / 8525 98.933% 1.067%

Originally posted by pipou
    Micfo recently have had server problems and they acknowledge this (see thread at forums.micfo.com/showthread.php?t=2079 on their forums - you'll have to copy and past the URL as I am not allowed to post URLs here yet ).

I would add that they have also had serious DNS server problems, and support communication problems. I am not concerned by small delays in support staff response, but by the ineffectiveness and lack of information of their support tickets (usually: "it's now working", but then it's not, or when it is fixed, the problem reappears the next day. No information given about the cause or the cure).

Exactly. I have no doubt that some people, with sites long up and running, still have them running fine. But with my relatively new account, I can't even get what should be a minor item fixed correctly.

First, it wasn't doubled correctly. Then I put in a ticket and got it fixed. LOST the fixes, because billing department doesn't know what they're doing adjusting accounts. Just got it fixed AGAIN, and guess what? They did the same damn wrong fix again!

Account Resource Limits
    Resource Max Allowed Remaining
    Disk Space 1000 Megabytes 4500 (Allocated) -3500
    Bandwidth 40000 Megabytes 180000 (Allocated) -140000

They have manually upped only my main domain limit, the second anything is reallocated in WHM it will disappear again. Why? Because billing people aren't tech people, and they shouldn't have anything to do with modifying my account, only report to the tech people. My tech support ticket should never have even put me in touch with the billing department at all, THEY should have done any checking and made the correct changes.

Not to mention this service is prepaid. Them holding me in limbo instead of making the changes and finding their own records they can't seem to keep track of on their own time is guaranteed to be a violation of the merchant account agreement. After CHECKING it last time, you'd think they'd PUT something where tech support could see it and fix it if needed agian, WITHOUT having to do the same damn check again.

They simply have a severe organizational flaw in billing being superior to technical support. Worse than that, from other threads Amir says it isn't even a problem, even though he can see quite clearly that it causes silly unneeded problems from the threads in the first place. Just how many people do they think would try to steal resources for a day or two, by having an account upped through tech support but knowing billing would check it the next day? Rediculous to worry about having billing have to check first, and more rediculous to apparently have billing people who don't know how to make the changes correctly being responsible for it.

The problem I've encountered is itself relatively small as long as you don't have some huge site being screwed up by the limits being dropped. But that they don't recognize and fix the organizational flaws that cause all these little problems to keep happening is a significant problem in itself. Heck it's just basic common sense to fix stuff like this permanently when you see it, just to give yourself less work in the future. But so far, they don't seem to be able to make sense of it at all.

Alan

PS They did just fix it apparently correctly, on the 4th try. The tech support is very fast and relatively competent, it's a shame they are hogtied by having to wait for billing on so many items, and billing not even putting something permanent in for the techs so the same problems don't have to be waited on multiple times if something else goes wrong. Large sections of their service are stellar, but if you encounter bumps, just figure it will take a while and multiple attempts to get them fixed. This was very simple and still took 3 or 4 passes through the support system.
    Last edited by Alan69; 09-22-2005 at 05:25 PM.

Originally posted by sgizero
    Good point. I've read quite a few threads like that when I did a search. Smells fishy, I'd say.
    Finally, someone in WHT feel the same thing.
    By the way, are you guys also the ex-customers of them who left them because they used you and your company names to make false testimonals in their webpage?
    What We Do in Life, Echoes in Eternity

about 80% or so of all customers like this host.This is a better rating than most companies have.
    That is a horrible number, the only fields I can think of with worse averages would be politicians and defense lawyers.

D
    Technical Advisor for new A&E Series The Killing Season
    There are no random acts of violence
    Starts November 5th!

Originally posted by Dave B, refering to the 80% approval rating of Micfo:
    That is a horrible number, the only fields I can think of with worse averages would be politicians and defense lawyers.

D
    The rating of Micfo on HostingAssured is 77%. It was much higher when I hosted my domains there 4 months ago, although I cannot find the number off the top of my head.
    Looking at the dates of the customer evaluations, you will also see that most positive reviews predate the "turn for the worse" of the company services, 3 to 4 months ago, and the negative reviews tend to be current ones. When I read the current reviews, they reflect my own experience with Micfo.

I would really like to know, out of curiosity, what policy shift or restructuring caused that "turn for the worse".
    Micfo, on their forums, have promised to announce a radical change next week that will right all the wrongs. We'll see.