Red face News :: “The only thing they’ve ever done for European agriculture is mad cow.” Who??

Article extract >> SOURCE : IRELAND ON-LINE

Chirac 'joked about British food'
    04/07/2005 - 15:57:51

French President Jacques Chirac took a moment during a weekend meeting with the leaders of Russia and Germany to make jokes about British food and mad cow disease, according to a French newspaper today.

Calling it the latest sign of strain between France and Britain, the daily Liberation recounted a conversation it said was overheard by one of its reporters on the sidelines of yesterday’s summit in Kaliningrad, Russia.

Chirac reportedly started with a comment about Britain: “The only thing they’ve ever done for European agriculture is mad cow.”

The French president’s spokesman, Jerome Bonnafont, said today he had not personally heard the exchange and did not want to comment. Government spokesman Jean-Francois Cope, said he also had “no particular comment".

France and Britain both blame each other for the collapse of an EU summit last month on the European Union’s budget.

“We can’t trust people who have such bad food,” Chirac reportedly told his German and Russian counterparts. ”After Finland, its the country with the worst food.”

Blair and Chirac will be thrust together at the Group of Eight summit in Gleneagles, Scotland, this week.

End extract <<

Full article, no link.

What a pratt...

At least he got caught, what a clanger eh.

They say it might even affect the 2012 Olympics decision process in Singapore.

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Re: News :: “The only thing they’ve ever done for European agriculture is mad cow.” W

Originally posted by Critic

“We can’t trust people who have such bad food,” Chirac reportedly told his German and Russian counterparts. ”After Finland, its the country with the worst food.”

He might be French... Bhat that hasn't prevented him from being wrong... This time!

this coming from a man where his country has never won a war except for the French Revolution.

The only thing they’ve ever done for Europe is show how inferior they are to the rest of the world.

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_mar2003/Occupation.jpg

Last edited by Kerry Jones; 07-04-2005 at 03:20 PM.
    Kerry Jones

Well .. i hope it doesn't effect anything and Blair hit's back .. somehow!
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

Re: Re: News :: “The only thing they’ve ever done for European agriculture is mad cow.” W

Originally posted by tokenyank
    He might be French... Bhat that hasn't prevented him from being wrong... This time!
    Do you wanna elaborate on that?

Critic,

I was gonna post about this earlier but couldn't think of a way to put down my feelings about the French without getting banned!

This is just another thing to put down on the list for the long running "fight" between the English and French.

The French and German leaders have both screwed up their countries, I'm sure they won't be running things much longer.
    Steve

Its funny how the French are always critics of the countries that saved there *** during WWII
    Targeted Traffic – Premium Targeted Traffic For your site from ProTraffic.net

It's funny how a war from 60 years ago can still be brought up in the most irrelevant of topics.

He's right though, actual English food is bland. It's dire. I'm English. I'm from England. No personality, no originality.

The mad cow comment was a bit OTT though.

I wonder if Chirac is aware that 4 of the top 10 restaurants in the world are currently English restaurants. One one of the top 10 is French.

Here's an....

Update -

Article extract >>

Despite Chirac's best efforts to focus on the closely fought Olympics contest, the journalists greeting him fired questions on a report that he had cracked jokes to Russian and German leaders about bad British food and mad cow disease.

"Did you make disparaging remarks about Britain?" asked one.

"Do you like 'rosbif'? Mr. President," demanded another in French, using a French slang word for Britons which arose from their love of roast beef.

End extract <<

For full article :: http://www.reuters.co.in/locales/c_n...toryID=8975210

The vulchers were circling before the pilot had told him could now take off his seatbelt, i'm sure President Chirac found it all very annoying and probably regrets what he said, even though it is what he believes.

Today's Sun newspaper in Britain had the following headline on its front apge:

"DON'T TALK CREPE"

As to British cuisiine, well see here for a general overview and get abck to us Brits with what you think :: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_cuisine

Do you think we can claim Chicken Tikka Masala as our own?

[color=dark-blue]And despite the rivalry that goes back at least 1,000 years and possibly much longer than that, between the two countires [England/Britain and France], we still like to visit. Financially we're worth a fair bit to them, all those Pound coins being exchanged for Euros.

Source : statistics.gov.uk

>>>

In 2002 Spain became the most popular country visited by UK residents, beating France for the first time. This lead was consolidated in 2003 with UK residents making 13.8 million visits to Spain, 15 per cent more than the 12.0 million visits to France. The Irish Republic was the third most popular country visited by UK residents during 2003, with USA fourth. Whereas the majority of visits to Spain (89 per cent), France (62 per cent) and USA (62 per cent) were for holidays, only 39 per cent of the visits to the Irish Republic were for this purpose. A much larger proportion of visits to the Irish Republic, compared with anywhere else, were to visit friends or relatives (35 per cent).

<<<[/color]

With all due respect to those who raise it, WW2 is just a very small and subejctive part of it IMO, at least when it comes to us [goes deeper than that] However in some ways, there is an envy beween the two people's on opposite sides of the Channel, but at the same time a grudging respect.

PeterGH,

"It's funny how a war from 60 years ago can still be brought up in the most irrelevant of topics."

irrelevant of topics?

This ahs gone global in the last 24 hours, front page news here in Britain this morning. It's palyed quite highly in Singapore at the IOC meeting. Granted theyr'e builing it up and it's got a funny aide ot it when we start taking the mic hback but still. I've heard 3 or 4 deabtes/phone-ins on it since early last night.

thanks

Critic
    Last edited by Critic; 07-05-2005 at 09:24 AM.

In regard to Chicken Tikka Masala, I am suprised it originated from UK and widely considered Britain's national dish. LOL.

Totally contradictory to the usual bland British cuisine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Tikka_Masala

'A man full of bile is not fit to pronounce on food' Egon Ronay on Chirac
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.