Hybrid View

Exclamation News ::Teenager jailed after raping school teacher. Could be out in 3yrs 8mths? WHAT!

Article extract >> SOURCE : DAILY TELEGRAPH

Teenager given life for raping teacher
    (Filed: 04/07/2005)

A 16-year-old schoolboy who raped a teacher has been given a life sentence at the Old Bailey.

The judge told the youth that he had violated the teacher's classroom - her place of safety - and had left her "physically and mentally scarred".

He said he agreed with a doctor who said his behaviour suggested that he had planned or rehearsed the rape in a fantasy.

The youth, who had pleaded guilty to rape at an earlier hearing, will be eligible for parole after serving four-and-a-half years.

But he will not be released until doctors consider he is no longer a danger.

The teenager, from south London, was 15 when he attacked the 28-year-old teacher on her second day at a central London school in September last year.

Brendan Kelly, prosecuting, said the teacher was in her classroom when she was grabbed round her neck and pulled to the back of the room.

The court was told that the 5ft 11in, powerfully-built teenager head-butted and threatened to kill the woman as she fought him off.

But she was overpowered by the pupil and sexually assaulted. After the attack, the teacher ran naked to the headteacher's office.

Describing the impact of the assault on the victim, Mr Kelly said: "The effect of this attack upon her has been devastating.

"Since the incident she has been unable to teach. She anticipates that once 'all this' has been put to bed she proposes to go back on a trial period - not to the school in question, she will go to another school.

"Her confidence has been devastated, her social life equally has been devastated.She lives in fear of returning to her vocation."

Judge Moss lifted a court order protecting the youth's identity but stayed this until Friday afternoon after the defence said it wanted the decision reviewed by the High Court.

He ordered that Westminster City Boys School, central London, where the teacher was attacked after working only two days in September last year, could be identified.

After the case, the teacher said: "I was very glad to be alive because I did not think I would be.

"I honestly thought that I was going to be murdered, on top of everything else."

She said she is now trying to rebuild her life.

End extract <<

Also see :: http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...381276,00.html

Is that supposed to be JUSTICE?? If somebody can come in this thread and tell me that that jail sentence is either adequate or too harsh, i will be surprised and shocked beyond words.

Why do we persist in calling such sentences "life" when they obsioosly are nothing of the sort.

If i was the judge or on the jury, with the constraints of the British judicial system in mind, i would be asking for a minimum sentecne ranging between, oh i dunno...15-30+ years.

Maybe start it off with 10 months solitary confinement too. No TV's and computer games and all that rubbish either, put him to work while he's inside as well, with education and rehab bringing up the rear or definetely not in front of any of that.

Some might think i am going easy on him, regardless i'd like to hear your views, i might change my mind as a result.

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Some lucky teen who get away with anything...crap! I wouldn't want to be the teacher to boys that like. I wouldn't want to get myself raped. I would want to find myself in the same situation as that teacher.
    She ran to the headmaster...naked. She was so scared. She was not ashamed to the point where she would on her clothes before running to the headmaster...in a boys' school. That says something to me. Give this boy 20 years in jail...the punishment is not harsh enough.
    Boys like these ought to be taught to respect women...

I think he knew exactly what he was doing .. most boys do and when they do something such as that they only have one thing in mind. Back on topic though i don't think it's harsh enough. He needs to be punished so he can realise you can't just get away with something like that.
    http://www.viperhosting.net
    ViperHosting 2005. The new generation "Excellence doesn't have to be expensive"

The youth, who had pleaded guilty to rape at an earlier hearing, will be eligible for parole after serving four-and-a-half years.
    I agree that four and a half years (don't know where the " 3yrs 8mths" in the thread title comes from, but maybe I'm missing something since I just read the extract) isn't long enough... but "will be eligible for parole" doesn't mean he'll be out that soon.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

I really hate reading stories like this. Makes me very angry to know that scumbags like this are pretty much getting a slap on the wrist for such horrible crimes. That poor woman will live with this her entire life. It will likely affect her general demeanor, her self confidence, her relationships with men, and on and on.

Lock the bastard up for life, I say.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Originally posted by JayC
    I agree that four and a half years (don't know where the " 3yrs 8mths" in the thread title comes from, but maybe I'm missing something since I just read the extract) isn't long enough... but "will be eligible for parole" doesn't mean he'll be out that soon.
    Sorry, i'll clarify a things which i should'vd done in the initial post.

As to the sentence, he had already been held in remand for 10 months before today, once this has been factored in, it comes to around 3 years and 8 months from what i gather.

In Britain these days with the current government, once you are eligible for parole, it is a rising trend to "tag" the person and then release them under certain conditions. Granted it's not set in stone but from what's occurred in recent years, he won't serve the 9 years and will either be out in under four years, or closer to that thean the full term IMO. Both are just not good enough.

There are rumours circualting that he was investigated for attempted rape prior to this incident also. I'm definetely leaning nearer to the 30+ year mark than the 15 one.

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 07-04-2005 at 03:59 PM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info