Finding out the webhost of a particular domain

Certain times when I do a whois on a particular domain, it does not show its webhosting company

The domain/name server points to the same address

for instance :

(domain)
    www dot abc dot com

(Name servers)
    ns1 dot abc dot com
    ns2 dot abc dot com

Does this mean that this particular domain does not rely on any webhost?
    Last edited by mchong4; 07-04-2005 at 01:38 PM.

Re: Finding out the webhost of a particular domain

Originally posted by mchong4
    Certain times when I do a whois on a particular domain, it does not show its webhosting company

Does this mean that this particular domain does not rely on any webhost?
    I"m not sure I understand you. The website could have its own nameservers. Would you care to share the domain name?

great! wasnt expecting such a quick reply

perhaps you would like to have a look at

mobilehulk dot com

everything in the whois information points to mobilehulk dot com

Domain servers in listed order:
    ns1 dot hulksolutions dot com
    ns2 dot hulksolutions dot com

Hulksolutions would be who the domains are pointed to, so whoever hosts Hulksolutions would be the webhost. Every website has a webhost, that is how it comes "online".

i get what you mean

what i wanna know here is the company who's hosting that domain

for instance

Domain name: infinitysuccess dot com

Domain servers in listed order:
    ns1 dot msianbiz dot com
    ns2 dot msianbiz dot com

get what i mean?

mchong4,

any domain registrar that allows child nameservers, you are then able to have what you say.

you just set the nameservers to the IP's of the servers.

then when thats done you set the nameservers of the domain to the ones you created like an example below

example.com

nameservers
    ns.example.co.uk
    ns2.example.co.uk

they are custom made though the domain registrar.

you would be able to do so with your own

-- edit--

you want to do a whois on the IP address assigned to that nameservers, that will telkl you who owns the IP/webhosting ips for that server they are on.
    /---edit--
    E:magineHosts (Department Of E:magine Limited)
    emagine the possibilities
    Aaron - CTO, founder & Director Of Technical Support/Customer Support/Technology of E:magine Limited
    Windows,Linux, VPS Hosting environments

alrighty! thanks for the info

but ermmm that doesnt really answer my question here

what i would really wanna know is actually the company who's hosting the particular domain

can i do that?

pardon my ignorance

Okay, Hulksolutions.com has its nameservers pointed at twisted4life.com. Twisted4life provides secondary nameservers. So yes, Hulksolutions is most likely a standalone webhost.

You need to be a lot clearer when asking questions.

That's not always possible.

Sometimes the nameservers will be generic so you can not tell who the host is. Other times, the nameservers will be the same domain as the website, like custom nameservers.

To take it a step further, sometimes the nameservers will be a resellers custom nameservers. The reseller (in the web site owner's opinion) would be the Web Host...But really they are not the true Web Host.

Sometimes it is just not possible to find out who hosts a domain. The best you can do is find out who owns the IP (which would be the datacenter that the server resides in).

One trick I have used in the past is going to http://whois.sc/DOMAIN.COM Of course you replace DOMAIN.COM with the domain in question. Then you can see how many other web sites are hosted on the IP. Sometimes if you check the whois of several of the domains hosted on a particular IP, you will find the Real Hosts nameservers in one of the whois records.

Honestly though, sometimes it is just not possible. If you give me the domain name you are trying to find the Web Host for, I will help find out who the host is, if it's possible.
    Need a new Web Host?
    Become a Host Refugee and receive TRUE 24/7 Support

cPanel + Fantastico, PHP4 or PHP5
    HostRefugee.com - See our current promotions

Originally posted by ichris
    Okay, Hulksolutions.com has its nameservers pointed at twisted4life.com. Twisted4life provides secondary nameservers. So yes, Hulksolutions is most likely a standalone webhost.

You need to be a lot clearer when asking questions.
    Yes!!! finally an answer to my question.sorry for not being able to ask questions properly =(

how did u managed to find out that hulksolutions.com is pointed at twisted4life?

this is what i m trying to find out

Go to http://www.whois.sc/hulksolutions.com and look under "Name Servers"

Hulksolutions.com IS pointed at twisted4life, but twisted4life is only a secondary DNS provider (they are not the actual host).

Secondary DNS (the service twisted4life provides) allows websites too have there DNS spread over several different DNS servers so there is some fail-over protection.

It appears that hulksolutions.com is the actual Web Host provider. With that being said, it is still possible that hulksolutions.com is just a reseller, and not the actual provider. When it comes down to it, there is really no way to tell.

Twisted4Life really has nothing to do with the Web Hosting though, they simply provide secondary DNS.

Hope this clarifies things a bit!
    Need a new Web Host?

The IP address for hulksolutions.com belongs to Jaring in Malaysia, whom they may buy dedicated or reseller hosting through. Not sure beyond that. Maybe you could email them and ask them who their providers is?

The above solutions are good but all have some correct info and then lead back to the same problem and that is who you consider to be the host?

Example:
    Host A = 100 dedicated servers and "owns" a block of 1,000 IP addresses.
    They lease dedicated servers with 10 IPs included.
    Host B = 1 leased server from A with 10 IPs but the IPs show to belong to host A although they have their own server name and records and name servers
    They sell reseller accounts.
    Host C is a reseller of Host B, they have their own "branded" name servers (NS1.hostC) but the IP will still resolve to Host B and is actually "owned by host A (are you completely confused yet?)
    Then you can do a lookup for sites hosted on an IP but if Host A has 1 sever dedicated for DNS it may not show the actual site count, or if you run the IP for Host C it may show all of theirs plus all the others on Host B (depending on how they have things configured)

And depending on how good the "original" host is at "branding" their resellers it becomes almost but not completely impossible to tell a reseller from a Host B level host...Now throw VPS into the picture and it really gets complicated depending on how IP addresses are being assigned and how things are being "branded" and whether reseller IPs are shared or dedicated regardless of the fact Host A shows to "own" the address since a VPS is sharing a server with other VPS accounts but they may have their own resellers on the VPS. (Now if Host B is selling VPS accounts and they are selling reseller accounts you almost have a reseller of a reseller type deal...all of whom can be "branded" and IPs assigned a variety of ways).

I don't really know why you want to know. That reason could make all the difference in whether or not it matters that who "appears" to be the host is a reseller, a host with their own server or servers or a big host with that 100 severs or maybe their own datacenter with a thousand servers or more.
    Even then we have all seen pictures of the "hosts" who's "datacenter" was 1 or 2 servers in a bedroom.

This is an oversimplified example but I was just trying to illustrate how complex it can all be. If it matters do a simple whois to get the name servers then contact the host with those name servers and ask "do you host whateversite.com?" And if they are honest they will tell you if they do. If not, you can see how complicated it can get.

PS: I didn't even get into the fact Host A may lease their IPs from the datacenter where they have their 100 servers...
    Last edited by DDT; 07-05-2005 at 01:33 AM.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

I forgot to add a Reverse DNS Lookup to the list of tools you can use to find out the actual host.

In the case of hulksolutions.com you can use http://whois.sc/hulksolutions.com to find out the IP address of the server. Then head over to dnsstuff.com and do a Reverse DNS Lookup on the IP. This will give you the hostname of the server (if they properly setup reverse DNS).

I found the IP of hulksolutions.com to be 202.190.197.152 and the answer from dnsstuff was:
    202.190.197.152 PTR record: rhumba.hulksolutions.com.
    Need a new Web Host?

If you wanna find out what network they are hosted on...

http://dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?i...c.net&email=on
    Ashworth Consulting
    Dedicated Servers / Reseller Web Hosting / Web Hosting
    Network: The Planet, TX