Thread: Quota confusion

Quota confusion

Hello all,

After some valuable help from this forum a few weeks ago, I signed up with Layered Tech for a dedicated server hosting. So far it's worked very nicely for me whilst at the same time improving my operating practices: Not having the reset button and a place to insert the Knoppix CD certainly focuses the mind!
    My thanks to all those who offered me guidance.

My question today is around bandwidth quotas. Currently I have 1000GB per month, which sounded huge initially, but I'm eating into it with relative ease. When I look at upgrading it, Layered Tech appear to offer me an additional 250GB/Mth for $80. This exceeds the cost of an entire new server with another 1000GB/Mth quota ($65). Is there some logic behind this that I'm missing?

Regards

Its overselling. Alot of people with dedicated servers wont use nearly the 1000gigs they give each month. My server has 1500 gigs per month and I might use 50 gigs in a busy month.

Basically they give you the 1000gb quota for any server, If you need more then they know you are going to use it so they will charge you more for it. at least thats how I look at it.

Right, so in my case I'm much better off just going for a second server if I need the BW. 2 x 1000GB plus extra processing power for $130 is much better than 1250GB for $145.

Yeah get another server, it will save you alot of money in the long run

Indeed, or you could talk with the dedicated server sales and try to negotiate an upgrade for a lower monthly cost if you wouldn't mind paying a setup fee...
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH