Question Beachcomber sales?

Well,this is the strangest approach with a salesman that i ever had.
    Here it goes
    I was looking to get a new server,and due to the profile of my customer i was thinking to a managed/semi-managed server.
    Reading a bit on wht offers/reviews i decided to give a try to beachcomber.net.
    So,after an email without response(i realised later that is the 4'th july and maybe is day off in US) i contacted a sales rep via beachcomber.net LIVECHAT.
    Now:
    Or i am a complete idiot,with the handicap of not having english as his main language( im from Europe) and im giving my full appologies
    Or this sales rep smoked something funny and every potential client is a source for a good laugh.
    Here is the convo with the sales rep:

" Please wait for a sales consultant to respond. Please be sure to type your name (and domain name if you are a current customer) first so we can be ready to give you the best service possible.
    You are now chatting with 'Sales'
    Sales: Hello, this Gary from Sales Support at Beachcomber. Welcome. If you can start by giving me your name (and your Domain Name if you are a Beachcomber Customer), I'll do the best I can to help you out.. |:-}
    Georges Vasiliu: Hello Gary
    Georges Vasiliu: my name is Georges Vasiliu
    Sales: Hello George, How can I help you ?
    Georges Vasiliu: I have a few questions regarding your dedicated servers
    Georges Vasiliu: ATM im looking to change my provider and your offer sounds interesting
    Sales: OK
    Sales: good...LOL
    Sales: What questions do you have about us that I may help answer ?
    Georges Vasiliu: I would like to know if you can provide help in importing the domains from a Plesk server to one of your Cpanel servers(that i intend to buy)
    Georges Vasiliu: Sales: good...LOL ...?
    Georges Vasiliu: wth? "

Now i know that the Plesk-Cpanel question can be funny to a certain point,but to be LOL'ed 2 times in a row at the beggining of a conversation s a bit too much.Funny thing is that i have servers with a few different providers(EV1,LT and EZZI) but i was never LOL'ed by a sales rep when i was trying to get some more info .

No way that i buy a server with full LOL services included.But hey,that's just me

I would also like to bring to Gary's attention that sometimes a sales rep must use a non IRC language when aproaching a potential customer. Just IMHO
    Last edited by Webfactor; 07-04-2005 at 10:20 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

I have had similar experiences with them like this with online slang words and annoying ';-)' icons.

Annoying huh?

It's Scott!
      0 Not allowed!

Wait so he just said lol? Did you leave after the conversation ...

while it is no excuse and still inappropriate, i've said lol in a nervous situation or said lol when it wasn't funny at all - more like a thing of habit than anything else
      0 Not allowed!

Heh.
    Well,im expecting from a sales rep a certain code of conduct.
    I can grab a lot of:"dude,lol,lolz,rofmao" from people over an forum/irc chatroom or from people that are not cashing a paycheck for greeting/responding to customers.
    Last edited by Webfactor; 07-04-2005 at 10:46 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

I have looked over the chat and while being cheerful, which is all the tech was trying to do, may have been mis-interperated...I do love how George leaves out the rest:

[09:30:18] Georges Vasiliu: do i sound funny or what?
    [09:30:40] Sales: I am sorry...I meant no insult
    [09:30:59] Sales: may have been a better usage
    [09:31:49] Georges Vasiliu: yeah right.....well,even if my english is not my main language...i still dont like to be lol'ed by someone.

So to George I again offer the apologies of my company that you felt insulted or slighted...But I do have to say, if that is all it takes to have you react like this.....I do not think Beachcomber is the home for you.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Beachcomber
    .........But I do have to say, if that is all it takes to have you react like this.....I do not think Beachcomber is the home for you.
    If you do love how i leave out the rest:

After the 2 LOL's i thought that the rest is not pretty important to me.
    I do not care about excuses from a salesman who lol's his customer after the first line.Maybe is a form of beeing cheerful around there,but from my short experience whith sales reps from different hosting companies,i assume that is the way of beeing cheerful just there.
    If that is your ideea on beeing cheereful i can assume that the tech support starts with :"wtf dude,wasup"

And yes,you are right,Beachcomber is not a home for me at all,I'm comming from a place where sales reps need to have a certain education degree,and do not treat everyone like room mates.
    And i didnt overreacted,at the end of the convo i was polite enough to wish Gary a happy 4'th of July and all the best.
    End of story.
    I wish you all the best and a have a nice day
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Beachcomber sales?

Originally posted by Webfactor
    Now:
    Or i am a complete idiot,with the handicap of not having english as his main language( im from Europe) and im giving my full appologies
    Or this sales rep smoked something funny and every potential client is a source for a good laugh.
    I just hope you didnt missed these 2 lines.First option could be pretty true too.
      0 Not allowed!

I have looked over the chat and while being cheerful, which is all the tech was trying to do, may have been mis-interperated...I do love how George leaves out the rest:

[09:30:18] Georges Vasiliu: do i sound funny or what?
    [09:30:40] Sales: I am sorry...I meant no insult
    [09:30:59] Sales: may have been a better usage
    [09:31:49] Georges Vasiliu: yeah right.....well,even if my english is not my main language...i still dont like to be lol'ed by someone.

So to George I again offer the apologies of my company that you felt insulted or slighted...But I do have to say, if that is all it takes to have you react like this.....I do not think Beachcomber is the home for you.
    Interesting post.

From a business perspective, do you really think it is wise to bash a potentional customer because one of your employee's unprofessional conduct.

It looks like this man felt insulted by your staff because his English is not his primary language and you compound the error by bashing him in public?

Business 101 - apologize for the trouble and move on.

Perhaps, that would have settled the misunderstanding and gained you a new customer.

Now, you have a resentful non-customer and you exposed your business practices to other potentional customers viewing this board.
      0 Not allowed!

I wish I could judge a company by how many times they "lol'ed" at me. I think I will try that next time when I am in the market for another dedicated server.

If I was beachcomber I would not want you as a customer, because I would be afraid you would ostracize me if I even looked at you wrong... oh wait, you did. Nevermind.

Forget the apologies, LOL'ing is just way too much for us in this day in age we must be absolutely critical of a company because the use of the word "LOL" is just way to personal. Why can't beachcomber just have detached, non-personal, non-friendly support like everyone else? I am sure that would be better business practice.
    Last edited by CoryH; 07-05-2005 at 03:12 PM.
    DigitalIntensity
    www.digital-intensity.com
    Where your web dreams come true.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by CoryH

If I was beachcomber I would not want you as a customer, because I would be afraid you would ostracize me if I even looked at you wrong... oh wait, you did. Nevermind.

LMAO.
    If you can be afraid that a customer can look you wrong then this is another story.
    And you pointed it right.Keyword is "CUSTOMER" not "POTENTIAL CUSTOMER".
    I got some customers that i treat like friends,who get invited at different company party (like your 4'th of JULY,christmas eve....) but i never treat potential customers like my friends . And btw ,on an online chat,you never know who is on the other side of the keyboard,a constipated ceo or director or a relaxed guy in jeans and tshirt.The Beachcomber guy just got unlucky,his bet was for the relaxed one.
    And you are right,always keep in mind that in a saturated market like this one,your good business is in the hand of the one who eventually can"ostracize you"(sp) if you you look at him in a wrong way.In fact there is no need to look wrong at any of your clients.
    Just IMHO
      0 Not allowed!

For now i think that this thread must just fade away,slowly.Just imho.
    Beachcomber is a good company who dont need to get slammed cause of a goofy.
    They run a pretty good thing and it was my option to get pissed by the behaviour of a sales rep.
    My money went elswhere and besides a small annoying moment,there was no harm
    Last edited by Webfactor; 07-05-2005 at 05:08 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I've met and personally dealt with reps from a large majority of datacenters. There are those who approach sales as a business transaction, which puts some people off, and is refreshing to others. Then there are those reps who are much more relaxed, and would rather add some humor and a lighter side to conversations. To each his own, really, every salesperson I know has a very different approach to sales based on their own comfort levels.

Those who know me, vs. those who know me personally, know I have a few sides to my IM's and e-mails. Sure I'll put a in there once in a while. It helps to set a different tone, and help to present certain sentences with a lighter feeling. I can often tell clients something via e-mail that can be severely misconstrued, but adding in little smileys and what not, helps them to understand that perhaps there's another meaning to what I'm saying.

Beachcomber has a stellar reputation on these boards and others. I personally don't recognize the name, so perhaps it's a new employee, as such I'm sure Mark spoke with him about etiquette if he feels it's necessary. But when you're looking for a host, who will give you stability, compassion, and a helpful approach to things, you can't go wrong with Beachcomber.

Remember, it's IM, and e-mails, and rarely face to face meetings in this business. I would be hard pressed to find most people who don't try to add some humor or abbreviations to live sales chats, and IM's. Re-reading the OP's own conversation, it began with an "ATM I'm looking to" so is not what's good for the goose? Is it fair for you to use such lingo, but the rep that you're speaking with not be able to use the same?

I think it was an honest mistake using that language to talk with you, and I'm sure he's been spoken to. The rep apologized for speaking to you in a way that appeared offensive, and it honestly could have been left at that.
      0 Not allowed!

LOL
      0 Not allowed!

Mod: delete my post and lock the thread... the above sums it all up.
    if($php !== $javascript){
    echo "Good it's not supposed to be";
    }
      0 Not allowed!

i think you also have to remember that to have more skilled labor costs more money....

if you want someone who is fully qualified and holding a degree in every sales role, thats is obviously going to increase a companies overheads.

personally, i dont mind if sales "LOLs" me, as long as the service is fantastic, support is top notch and pricing is great - which is exactly what beachcomber is.
      0 Not allowed!

roflcopter !!
      0 Not allowed!

I've had several business type meetings over the years and can't remember a single one where someone didn't laugh at one point, if not more than once.

Stop crying about it, if their offer is such a 'good deal' why not close your lips and grab it.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Frontpage1
    Business 101 - apologize for the trouble and move on.

Perhaps, that would have settled the misunderstanding and gained you a new customer.

Now, you have a resentful non-customer and you exposed your business practices to other potentional customers viewing this board.
    *yawn*

Bland traditionalist banter. If Mark doesn't feel that this guy is the client for him, he clearly has his reasons and should be able to speak his mind freely.

As for the whole "lol" issue, obviously both parties do not speak English as a first language. Communication breakdown, oh well. Such is the bane of outsourced support dealing directly with clients/potentials.

Originally posted by CoryH
    Why can't beachcomber just have detached, non-personal, non-friendly support like everyone else? I am sure that would be better business practice.
    hahahah Amen to that.
    Last edited by mmaaaaattt; 07-08-2005 at 10:12 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Having just purchased a beachcomber server I can honestly say the live sales was both proficient and friendly. I would much rather deal with a friendly if over zealous salesman than some grumpy old git worried about his commission.

I this type of company worries you simply move on but why the hell come on here and slate a salesman for being a bit over friendly

If only all my worries were only "lol's" ........................
    Nil illegitimi carborundum
    I'm getting old and don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Goldwing
    Having just purchased a beachcomber server I can honestly say the live sales was both proficient and friendly. I would much rather deal with a friendly if over zealous salesman than some grumpy old git worried about his commission.

I this type of company worries you simply move on but why the hell come on here and slate a salesman for being a bit over friendly

If only all my worries were only "lol's" ........................
    1.I really know that Beachcomber is doing a damn good job.That's why i was a bit pissed about the first(and last) approach with them.I didnt called Beachcomber to ask about weather report I called to buy a product that i was aware that is a damn good one.Beachcomber was my first choice after reading rewievs,comparing services ...etc

2.I dont need a "friendly if over zealous salesman " nor a "grumpy old git worried about his commission".I just need a salesman.Pure and simple.If you dont know what im talking about then im sorry.

3.For the:"I this type of company worries you .........."
    Im not scared about over friendly approach,just that i dont like it.IMHO,friendly and over friendly are 2 different things.End of Story

4.You really need to learn how to read a post.I know that this sound rude but.............
    Just FYI,there is a line in my first post who states:
    "Or i am a complete idiot,with the handicap of not having english as his main language( im from Europe) and im giving my full appologies"
    Do i need to refrase it in a a more inteligible english?

Just my 2 cents
      0 Not allowed!

OK, I have a great idea...

We have apologized to webfactor .. he has had his say and we have listen seriously to his and others concerns (and enjoyed some of the other posts to... ..) ... I do not see how this is really adding to the more serious issues and discussions of the day.

webfactor has asked for the thread to fade away...the best way to do that is for the mods to be asked to close it..I can't...But the thread starter I believe can.

1.I really know that Beachcomber is doing a damn good job.That's why i was a bit pissed about the first(and last) approach with them.I didnt called Beachcomber to ask about weather report I called to buy a product that i was aware that is a damn good one.Beachcomber was my first choice after reading rewievs,comparing services ...etc

2.I dont need a "friendly if over zealous salesman " nor a "grumpy old git worried about his commission".I just need a salesman.Pure and simple.If you dont know what im talking about then im sorry.

Im not scared about over friendly approach,just that i dont like it.IMHO,friendly and over friendly are 2 different things.End of Story

4.You really need to learn how to read a post.I know that this sound rude but.............
    "Or i am a complete idiot,with the handicap of not having english as his main language( im from Europe) and im giving my full appologies"

Just my 2 cents
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mjzz
    *yawn*

Bland traditionalist banter. If Mark doesn't feel that this guy is the client for him, he clearly has his reasons and should be able to speak his mind freely.

As for the whole "lol" issue, obviously both parties do not speak English as a first language. Communication breakdown, oh well. Such is the bane of outsourced support dealing directly with clients/potentials.

hahahah Amen to that.
    Oh, and before this is closed, yes we have "outsourced" Technical Support...we have never been shy about that and we spend a TON of money for TWO dedicated desks from two companies that also includes live support...not shared desks, dedicated techs that only work on our queues and we maintain the quality of... and for that reason they are very very good and we maintain that.

The Sales Support, of which Gary is one, is in house in the US...also a superb group.

IMHO

Regards.....
      0 Not allowed!

The Sales Support, of which Gary is one, is in house in the US...also a superb group.

IMHO

Regards.....

IMHO ,stick to the outsourced soulution.
    Dont get me wrong,but i still think that the first approach sucked big time.That's why my money went elswhere.Not that it counts for you.
    I wish you all the best Beachcomber

All this before this get closed
      0 Not allowed!

Just my 2 cents
    Point 2, I said if you cared to read that I WOULD rather deal with... not that I DID, your last sentence though shows a lot about your character. Please though define a salesman that is not, zealous, friendly, grumpy or any other adjective you want as each will have some characteristics that do not suit.

Point 3 Your opinion "pure and simple" and not for public consumption

Point 4 And you really need to learn something about human nature, I at least am capable of reading a post, you conveniently left out the bit on your original post about accusing the salesman of smoking something ( no smiley)

You don't need to rephrase anything at all I am reading your type loud and clear and that is arrogant, rude and impossible to please.
    Nil illegitimi carborundum
    I'm getting old and don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Goldwing
    Please though define a salesman that is not, zealous, friendly, grumpy or any other adjective you want as each will have some characteristics that do not suit.

This is getting odd,but im gonna try for you:
    -Professional-

If your opinion is that every salesman have some characteristics that do not suit then i dont have anything to add.
    Im not here to argue with you .Last time i checked we are entitled to have our opinions and common sense is to adress your disagrement in a polite manner.
    And im here to express my opinions and my opinions only.
    Maybe you are more experienced and everything you say is for public consumption.Just maybe.
    Now im gonna leave this thread,cause i think that Beachcomber and I agreed to the fact that there is nothing constructive to add.
    And im gonna try to stand up really fast,just to check your theory,wich is for public consumption i suppose.
    I wish you a good day
      0 Not allowed!

Closed by request of the thread starter.
    If you donít like the road youíre walking on, start paving a new one.
      0 Not allowed!