Connection to Public IP error....

Hi Geeks,
    I have a strange problem...
    Sometimes when my clients complain me that they are getting connection failure to my relay server ..(They see in maillog)

Typical error is:
    Couldn't make an SMTP connection...

Few days I ignored I thought it could be Coz of n/w problem at client's end..
    But incidently one client complained I tried to connect to public IP of server...for whom SMTP error was appreaing in log...
    And it failed via putty....

I tried from different machines ., failed...

Then I logged to one other server (in the same subnet)...and from there I did ssh to Public IP...again it failed..

Then I tried to do ssh to local IP from that second server and it worked..

But at the same time I was trying to connect to Public IP it was giving n/w error in Putty...

Then I did tcpdump on eth0 which is a public ip 5 in it received 1 packet ...
    I restarted the n/w service....
    And then I was able to login to Putty from Public IP...
    But is it a n/w card issue or n/w issue or something else...

My lspci o/p is of eth0/1 is

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (re v 02)
    01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82801BD PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Contr oller (rev 81)

OS is redhat 8.0

What could be problem...?
    Thinking Different !!

Sunny So. Calif.
    If all the failures are on eth0 (public IP) then I would first try replacing that NIC (assuming it's not the on-board Pro/100VE). If it is the on-board NIC, then to verify, you'd have to either replace the MB or insert another PCI NIC and reconfigure things so the new one is eth0 and disable the on-board in CMOS.

IMHO, this is usually the quickest way to verify if it's the NIC at fault. Others may disagree, but for me it only takes about 5 min to do this.