* Enom-I think I'm in over my head

First of all, let me apologize if these appear to be stupid questions, however, I have spent the last 2 weeks doing internet searches, reading every post on this forum related to Enom (some more than once), and have spent hours and hours on Enom's site trying to get my head around how reselling domain names thru them works, but I'm still having a few problems. I'm hoping that asking them here won't make me feel like a total idiot (some forums make you feel like a real dummy when you ask new user questions).

Background:

I am primarily a web designer for a number of very small personal, non-profit, or very small home business sites. These sites are mostly static using basic html, CSS, and a small amount of JAVA or Flash. I have almost no expericence with php, perl, or any of the other more advanced coding languages. In the past, my clients either registered there own domain name themselves and I, for the most part, have hosted them as add-on domains under my design domain for a small yearly fee. If I registered the domain for them, I usually used goDaddy for this purpose.

Recenty, I decided that it was time to move to reseller hosting and move my customer base. I purchased a domain name to use as my hosting company, as I hope that this may create some revenue not related to my design business. I plan to host my design business as a add-on domain and hopefully, the two separate entities will "play" off each other and increase my bottom line.

Based on information in the forum here, I have selected a hosting company that comes highly recommended by many of the members here. As part of their hosting package I received ClientExec for billing and a Enom reseller account. I have the billing software set up with minimal problems (I still need to figure out how to customize it, but it works in it's current form). I have a Paypal account which is what I use usually for payment from my clients, either that or they pay direct by check or money order. The Enom reseller account is giving me a huge headache though.

I have visited the Enom site, logged into my account. I know where to pre-fill it with my $100.00. I have figured out how to manually register a domain, and add privacy protection to it. This is the point in which I get lost.

Since ClientExec does not integrate with Enom, I believe that I can have clients request domain registration with the hosting package. The domain name registration request will then appear as pending in CE. Then, if I understand the process correctly, I will have to go to Enom and manually set up the account. Correct?

I have no problem doing this, as I can verify payment first and prevent getting stuck with a domain I don't want if the client doesn't pay. It is at this point that I get lost.

First, how does my client access and control his/her domain name (change contact info, DNS, transfer(if they desire), etc?

I have looked at the Registry Rocket, this sets up a whole new site and they can automatically register the domain themselves, which I'm not sure I want them to do at this point.

I downloaded the API files, and frankly, when I looked them they scared me to death. I have no idea how to integrate them into my hosting site and have not been able to find instructions that I can understand that explain it to me. (either that, or I am making it harder than it is).

I also read the information regarding the PDQ solution. It also allows automatic signup and besides, it's another $100/year. I don't need the merchant services, as I can do that with my Paypal account.

I believe if I can figure out how to allow my clients some ability to control their domain name registrations, that I would be fine, for now with doing manual entry of new domains into my Enom account. I also understand that CE is supposed to be coming out with a module that will automate the process, which would be fine for me.

If someone can please provide me some information/direction as to whether or not I'm on the right track or not it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I would call your ETP (hosting company in this case) because that is what they are there for. Get you up and running.

Are you using any current hosting script beside Clientexec?

At this time I would recommend to take a look at AWBS which is built on Enom API and have the most extensive use of it. If your primary concern is hosting and you provide domain registration services as addon take a look at Modernbill more expensive then AWBS.
    Name123.com [ We are online Since 2004! ]
    Cheapest Domain Registration & Reseller Services!
    ENOM Domain Reseller Account with Lowest Industry Prices! (Details)
    Plus Excellent Technical Support Along The Way!

I contacted my hosting company first, they sent me back an email that said to contact Enom or read the API documentation. No real help there.

I have emailed Enom, but haven't heard back from them.

Clientexec is the only billing solution I am currently using. Before now, I have must been using Quickbooks to manage my billing for my design company. Either of those solutions listed I would have to purchase at this point. If I were going to do that, I would want one that would handle all my billing needs, including my design services. Can you suggest one that will take care of design, hosting, and domain registration billing?

Thanks,
    D

Sorry to hear that. If the people who you are getting an eNom reseller account from can't help you or won't take the time I suggest you move at least your domain portion under another ETP. Truly sad!

As far as encompassing it all into one. I think with a little modification you could use www.whoiscart.net for a one-stop-shop.

AWBS allows you to offer other services such as webdesign. In their demo, they are offering Logo design service. See the applicable demo page here: http://www.awbsdemo.com/packages.php
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

Via the enom site or a PDQ site you can assign individual domains their own password. A customer can then use that password to login to Registry Rocket or Access (access.enom.com) to manage their own domain names.

Registry Rocket has full merchant support for renewals, registrations, etc. It allows for almost complete management of individual domains and has some minimal branding possible.

Access has no merchant support, but supports other domain management functions. Access doesn't have any sort of branding possible.

I contacted my hosting company first, they sent me back an email that said to contact Enom or read the API documentation. No real help there.
    Then you need to move to a different ETP (Enom Tech Partner) for your sub-account.

It's their "job" to support you - every domain you register earns them a commission.

enom *may* not support you beyond pointing you @ their faq, as you've no direct contract with them - the general way it's supposed to work, is they support the etp's teh ETp supports their resellers etc etc ad-infinitum down each level.

In answer to your actual question - how does the client manage their domain - you allocate the domain a password when you regsiter it and then the end-user can sign in to enom and manage it themselves
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

I have terrible experience with Enom service

I have just selected Enom service to use with WHMCS to integrate the the whole web hosting operation into be an automated operation.

They have asked me to invest 100$ as deposit and i have done the same ,this will be the most hazardous decision made by me in my life ever.

I will tell you why?

Domain prices offered by Enom service is too high than other service providers ,( i can not offer lower even equal price than my competitors)

While other competitors are offering
    Seasonal Discounts on specific TLD
    Bulk Domain pricing
    Coupons

I have found nothing with Enom ( This make sick with Enom , As a reseller what i will get with Enom to promote their service)

No Client access is possible - I came to know from the support department that my reseller account wouldn't allow to update the DNS settings by my client ( may be this case will differs you)

I have subscribed for Rich Content Trail and after trail they auto debited the money from my account ( may be its my fault to make unsubscribe from the service) when i suspended my subscription so that it will not leads to the next payment debit ( it still saying that it will be in pending " Pending Cancellation" the cancellation status still continues after a week of time when i applied for the cancellation as of Today (Feb 2nd 2010)

Poor Support ( I don't think that the support is promising) you may know from my case how the support is working

Expecting replies from fellow members

Actually ENOM is great!! I have used them for a long time as well as having used NameCheap, and other expensive registrar like go-daddy and moniker.

I have to say that ENOM has had the easiest integration into our website and WHMCS. Support from ENOM has been a little slow but always there eventually (patience is a virtue... so they say), I think the longest I have ever waited for a response was about a day or so... Reliable, never failed me, Domains were ordered promptly, generally within a minute of ordering the domain was already working and setup to communicate to our servers as opposed to namecheap who sometimes had to wait about a day for a .com to be registered and working with our servers.

Have nothing but praise for them!! Maybe you should consider moving from a single shared plan to a reseller plan? Then you can actually host your clients and charge them money with full access to their space and emails... Then install WHMCS to keep track of the billing and the customers you have as well as giving them access (via WHMCS) to their domain information and setup (it automatically sets it up with ENOM). It also allows you greater control over the accounts, and billing looks professional!

ENOM charges me $8.45 per domain name which isn't bad is it? Meaning if you are using paypal that you need to add about $0.50 so $8.95 for a domain is still well within the competition pricing for .com domains. Don't you think?

Maybe your ENOM account (sub-account) is not part of a good deal? Maybe you should change provider to one who gives you a reseller account with ENOM and a good price for domains with them? I know their prices can be high if you aren't a sub-account holder but it definitely is worth it. What kind of support would you require if everything was managed by WHMCS? I only ever had to ask support for domain transfers where the transfer failed or took longer than anticipated (due to other registrar not ENOM).

Hope this helps a little.

Best.
    alex
    XelionOne
    Simple | Professional | Reliable
    Shared, Reseller, ShoutCast & Dedicated Hosting
    http://xelionone.com

Thanks XelionOne

But being a reseller of Domain services 8.45 for a normal TLD is not a good deal

before using Enom services ,i am used ( also i am currently using )name.com for my registration services,who they are offering good deal for individual services ( they offer discounts,no extra price for Privacy protection ( enom asks extra money for this),lot of coupon codes are also available with this provider ).I wounder name.com why they are not offering reseller services ,if they offered the reseller services i definitely choose any wrong direction like enom.

I am not affiliated with name.com to promote here and i am not against Enom for their services .

Its all what i experienced with this service providers nothing else

I just want to share my experiences with other members and make think before they make investment on this providers

Decision is yours

I completely understand your point of view hence why I would not want to convert you in any way! I never heard of name.com until you mentioned it! It looks nice - but the price for a .com domain is still $8.99 which is pricey isn't it? It means you can't charge less than $9.55 including paypal / other payment getaway costs then if you want to profit from the domain it leaves you very little to play with to remain competitive?

I see what you mean about the domain privacy - but technically you could just replace the information available on the WHOIS to your company's information or another address or a blocked out address yourself. (not sure about the legality of it - but I don't see why you wouldnt be able to do that? considering that is all that WHOIS privacy does anyway...!)

Maybe they are just another re-seller of domain names? And have not thought about registering domain names with an API of their own? It does cost a lot of create an API and it also takes a lot of security and other setups which they may not be prepared to create? But I cannot tell you!

I don't know... I cannot say there is one RIGHT / CORRECT way of doing it... Just many different options - and no matter what you choose... To use an API they will ask you to put in a minimum deposit (namecheap i think is $200 or 2years working with them). This is a deposit which gets used up to purchase the domains - not just a random sum of money given away!

But all up to you! (as you said!)
    XelionOne
    Simple | Professional | Reliable
    Shared, Reseller, ShoutCast & Dedicated Hosting
    http://xelionone.com

Quote Originally Posted by sakthig View Post
    They have asked me to invest 100$ as deposit and i have done the same ,this will be the most hazardous decision made by me in my life ever.
    Hazardous would be jumping off a crane without attaching the bungee first ...

Domain prices offered by Enom service is too high than other service providers ,( i can not offer lower even equal price than my competitors)
    The pricing offered by enom is competitive, even at the "pricing tier" you will be on based on your deposit of $100. If you want to get better pricing you'll need to invest several thousand $ more.

What price you *sell* the domains at is your business - lots of people give them away free (with their other services) ...

Anything less than $10 is a "good deal" IMHO for a domain name, and remember they will be going up in price every year.

No Client access is possible
    Client access is possible, however you will *likely* want people going through your system and the API than going directly - thats part of the "benefit" of being a reseller

I have subscribed for Rich Content Trail and after trail they auto debited the money from my account ( may be its my fault to make unsubscribe from the service
    I've never used the RC so cant say, but it would be normal at the end of a Trial service with anyone for you to get billed if you havent already cancelled.
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

No Client access is possible
    I think you'll find it is: http://access.name-services.com/

Recently my client asked me to book the .in domain on behalf of him

So i tried to register with enom and i became shocked about their pricing

yes .in domains priced $24.95

In most of all the regions .in domain priced for only 3 dollars compare the this price with enom offered price

What a huge difference?

Actually my client better aware that the domain priced with 3$ with other domain service providers but he don't have any online process account so that he asked me to book the domain for me

Now tell me In what price i can sell with my client?

Most places charge $20+ for .IN domain names, there may be a few doing special promotions for what you're suggesting.
    Frank Laszlo - Developer
    Franksworld Solutions, LLC

I agree ,there will be different price from every vendor

but the difference should not be huge like these

3$ - 25 $ = -22$

pricing for more than 22$ dollars is not acceptable

Read what I said again.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLaszlo View Post
    Most places charge $20+ for .IN domain names, there may be a few doing special promotions for what you're suggesting.
    Frank Laszlo - Developer
    Franksworld Solutions, LLC