Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* 24+ MEG BROADBAND - available in UK

I haven't made any significant contributions as of late and so I thought I would make one: (I recently got bored of WHT)

Its the kind of thing i'd only expect in a place like China.
    24 MEGABYTE BROADBAND - but one not-so-leading ISP has decided to take the plunge and is offering just that.

Net users in London are to be offered broadband at speeds up to 24 meg as part of ambitious plans by a new UK ISP.
    Not os sure about the website though -
    http://www.bethere.co.uk/

Standardband. Same-as-my-Dadband. The 'information superhighway' is now everyone's M25. Increasing one lane at a time. Another small step for Internet-kind. Well isn't this the 21st century? Give me back the leaps
    It remains to be seen just how popular this speed will be and whether it could have any potential side effects, but one thing is for sure - it won't be as expensive as you might think.

It would also seem that this is part of a wider operation to increase broadband speeds across the entirety of the UK.

Forty five exchanges in London have been earmarked by Be initially, although it has agressive plans to unbundle many more exchanges around the UK.
    The launch-man has already been successful in one place but will he be successful here?

In April 2001, Ivanovic bought fledgling Swedish ISP Bostream and launched 26 meg broadband. In three years the number of Bostream punters shot up from 2,000 to 100,000 with revenues rocketing from $1m to $55m.

Ivanovic hopes he can repeat that success in the UK.
    The new flagship speed is going to be named ADSL2+ and will be available soon.

Why are they doing this?

"There is no reason to drag out the increase in speed and launch in steps of 1 meg or 2 meg when the capability is there to offer the maximum speeds available - which is what Be is all about." ®
    I'm personally inclined to agree that major leaps are needed if the internet is to be seen as a advancing technology.

What do you think?

Regards,

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

I really can't complain right now I have a 6.0/768 (but get 6.8/880) connection soon to be 16/2 and then ADSL+2 and VDSL+2 is being delployed in the area.

But I think cable/dsl companies need to start speading out and bringing service to the rural areas.

Bah, London only.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

Very...colourful...website

I can't see me needing speeds like anytime soon. No doubt there will be companies which will make great use of speeds like this, but is it really any benefit to a home user?

No price mentioned on the site (that I could find), but I can't see this being cheap. I'm happy with my 1 mbps connection, and I'll probably stay happy until something this fast becomes affordable.
    Scott - My Spiel

24 MEGABYTE BROADBAND
    Surely that's 24Mbit
    Steve

Originally posted by Vulture
    Very...colourful...website

I can't see me needing speeds like anytime soon. No doubt there will be companies which will make great use of speeds like this, but is it really any benefit to a home user?

Well, there is no way your truly going to get 24 mbit down from a webserver, but using a P2P client like Bittorrent you will be able to download files at around 3 megabytes a second! Think of it, a whole Linux .iso in under two minutes.... :drools:

24mbit has been available in Australia for over a month.
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

I agree its a nice thought but I doubt the cost would be worth it - at least at the moment (can't be sure because they don't quote a price, just a suspicion).
    Scott - My Spiel

the ADSL2+ standard hasn't even been ratified yet, hurdle one. you need a super low signal to noise ratio on your phone line, <12dB hurdle two. only available in london at first, hurdle three.

throw them into the melting pot though by all means just don't expect miracles anytime soon.

i read the majority of lines in the UK will be fortunate to get 6Mbit even on ADSL2+.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

i wonder what upload speed you will get as i doubt it will be mroe than 1-2mb ?

i want t3 but i dont know where to get it any help? by the way its in uk

Wanadool.fr offer 18mb Broadband for 35euros a month. Which is cool. I cant understand much french but I wonder if there is a bandwidth limit?

* so many questions..

so i'll answer them all here:
    i wonder what upload speed you will get as i doubt it will be mroe than 1-2mb ?
    i doubt the upload speed will be more than 1Mbit/s.
    i want t3 but i dont know where to get it any help? by the way its in uk
    you can't seriously want a 45Mbit connection and have no idea where to start? is it for work? please provide more details.
    Wanadool.fr offer 18mb Broadband for 35euros a month. Which is cool. I cant understand much french but I wonder if there is a bandwidth limit?
    from what i can see there doesn't seem to be.
    <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Originally posted by coight
    24mbit has been available in Australia for over a month.
    Through who?

Anyone who has used this, do they discourage hosting servers off of it? j/w

Also whats the upload rate?
    Last edited by VolkNet; 07-03-2005 at 07:27 PM.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Re: 24+ MEG BROADBAND - available in UK

Why China?

Originally posted by effusionx1
    Its the kind of thing i'd only[/B] expect in a place like China.
    24 MEGABYTE BROADBAND - but one not-so-leading ISP has decided to take the plunge and is offering just that.
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

I have a feeling we're going to bashed around by the upload speeds.

But, all sounds good. Too bad im in Scotland! I want that to be launched in the Uk all over. Our exchange just covers 1mbit. How bad do I want 2Mbit even!
    It's Scott!

Re: Re: 24+ MEG BROADBAND - available in UK

Originally posted by Roy@ENHOST
    Why China?
    Cos' I heard that in some places in China they enjoy 100mbit download speeds and over 10mbit upload speeds.
    (Mainly governmental and military groups)

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

Lucky brits and aussies! I think the most I've seen from cable here in the states is 5-6mbit download. Highest upload that I have seen myself was 1mbit I think, I'm not sure if that is the highest or not though.

We've just been upgrade to 8MBit downstream at the office by Bulldog Then again the 4MBit we had before was plenty fast enough
    Adam Harris
    Technical Director, XOMY Limited
    XOMY LCD and Plasma Televisions :: XOMAC Apple Macs

Re: Re: Re: 24+ MEG BROADBAND - available in UK

So its true.
    I went with my dad to China 2 yrs ago to check out the properties.
    The real estate agent was like telling me the house that we bought has a 100 mbit downstream jack. He doesnt look like the techie type so I brushed it aside as hogwash.
    Too bad I didn't have the chance to try it out before I left.

Congrats to UK for being far more advanced than USA in terms of consumer broadband services.

Originally posted by effusionx1
    Cos' I heard that in some places in China they enjoy 100mbit download speeds and over 10mbit upload speeds.
    (Mainly governmental and military groups)

Jord
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

Wow, and I thought we were doing good in NY with our 6Mbps residential RoadRunner (cable).
    H4Y Technologies LLC .. Since 2001!!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us** **http://iwfhosting.net**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** askus at host4yourself d0t com

Originally posted by -T{H}R-
    Through who?
    Internode, iinet offers 12mbit adsl2
    Clustered Hosting With Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
    http://www.solidinternet.com
    8 Years of hosting excellence!

I live in the us, and i wish i could get 24mbps cable cheap, i have 6mbps but i would like more The more the better!

But what some of you don't reliase is the price difference compared to the U.K and the U.S.A , Here i can get a 1mbps connection for £20 - £30.

Where as i believe (Don't count me on this) That you can get at least 5 x that for the same price in the U.S.A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast