Thread: Ragging!

Ragging!

Do you support raggging in college life, IE the newcomers exp a sort of torture from the seniors.

We call it hazing here.

I'm all for it as long as it doesn't cross the line into being dangerous.

We don't really call it anything...it just happens.

As blue said, as long as its non-violent its pretty harmless. Plus, when you become a senior it almost feels like a duty to carry it out.
    Scott - My Spiel

hazing is ok as long it does not cause any harm to people. Like that stupid fraternity that got two of its members killed in California. Or it was one died and the other almost died or something like that.

I heard of one who died from drinking too much water. (Which was a topic a week or two ago.)

Originally posted by DanX
    I heard of one who died from drinking too much water. (Which was a topic a week or two ago.)
    I think that is the same one I am talking about was it in California? The same group of people also almost had another member die or did die before that one.

I have no idea; could be though. That's where it draws the line, imho.

Originally posted by blue27
    We call it hazing here.

Its all fun and games until someone loses an eye!

Isn't it bullying?

Who does like to get bullied?

Originally posted by blue27
    We call it hazing here.

Just curious, why are you for it? I can't see a reason to be involved with it. Who benefits?

Originally posted by ichris
    Just curious, why are you for it? I can't see a reason to be involved with it. Who benefits?
    No one benefits from it. We had a chapter of our fraternity close down at UM a few years back for hazing. Served them right, especially after one of the pledges got shot in the testicles by a BB gun the brother swore wasn't loaded. It's not just a fraternity/sorority issue. it extend to practically all college organizations (many are far worse than members of the Greek system, but somehow don't get nearly as much negative press). I was hazed a bit when I was a pledge, but they soon figured out it wasn't all that fun to haze me - I don't get flustered in the face of others' stupidity and pettiness. When I was president, we did our share of practical joking, but we absolutely drew the line at any sign of physical/emotional abuse/trauma, and a few times had to severely punish brothers who were out of line.

There was no hazing outside of college organizations, no freshman v. senior thing going on. It was only within the 300+ organizations where these things took place - I'd say in probably half of them (30 were Greek).

I think someone who needs to haze others clearly defines themselves on social food chain a primitive. I think someone who defies hazing effectively is at the top in terms of his or her character. In my experience, the ones who were aggressive hazers were feared. The ones who put themselves above it were admired. I made my choice - which would you rather be?
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design