Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Warning about Canaca

Hello all,

I recently ran across a case regarding Canaca...

Some background info - I run a website based on the video game Halo - every morning I post news about what has recently been found/noticed/happened. Friday morning, I ran into this case.

A popular moviemaking site, HaloGrid (Also known as Hollywood Halo), made an extremely popular hit. A hit they didn't expect to be released to more than just their site - and quickly became far too popular. When the owner left for work just after he released that video, he had only used about 12-15% of their 400 GB monthly bandwidth (usage: 48-60 GB). When the owner came back from work - they had used 400 GB MORE than their alotted bandwidth (usage: 800 GB).

(The first problem lies there - the host neither notified him, nor shut his site off... they just let the ticker keep running.)

By the end of the month, they had used 530 GB more than their alotted bandwidth (usage: ~930 GB)... Overage fees awaited. At the time of signing up, the overage fee was $0.50/GB - that's what they expected to pay. Still a hefty bill, it was doable.

The host sent them a bill - and it wasn't what they were expecting. The bill came out to $3438.00.

(Keep in mind this is the first time the host has contacted them since they went over by such a large amount)

Turns out - that month, the host just happened to raise their overage prices - by 1100% (making it $6.00/GB)...

(Is it just me - or is this starting to smell fishy)

Numerous phone calls went out to renegotiate this insane bill. The host wouldn't budge. Finally somebody sent (from what I heard) a quite insulting piece of hatemail, in which the employee agreed to have them only pay $2265. The group (who has to pay the bill) has already received about $400 in donations at the time of writing - many people are being kind enough to donate - (that is not the purpose of this message - I'm just stating it all).

So basically - my warning is this - if you plan to use an insane amount of traffic - don't use this host. You'll shoot yourself in the foot the very second you sign up. I wish this group would have known about Web Hosting Talk before they signed up and known about how bad this host was - but they obviously didn't.

A disturbed witness,

- D-Man
    HaloChat Owner/Admin
    HALOChat
    www.halochat.net

Smells rotten fish to me.

halochat,

I feel bad for the owner of halogrid.

When the web host noticed such an over usage they should have put a stop to it right away. I was unable to find $6/per gb bandwidth over usage charges anywhere on their website.

Changes in pricing, I think the customer should have the right to be notified.

funny,

that is why be caution to these people who oversell they surely will have some trick and sue you into problems.

Your site should have simply been suspended when you reached your alloted bandwidth amount of 400GB.

You host should never increase their bandwidth price without any prior notification though; unless they have stated clearly else where in their TOS they can do so and you have agreed on this when you sign up your hosting account with them...
    ******** - ASP, ASP.NET. Windows 2008 Hosting - Windows Reseller Plans

1 Exabyte = two to the sixtieth power byte, 1,152,921,504,606,846,976 bytes

It's very scandalous. But I don't understand why they don't simply renounce to pay... Because there are very important materials (unique) or becuase of an iminent lawsuit. Any court in this world will condemn canaca's action.

$6/GB overage!! Holy Moly!!!!
    Jeffrey Nikoletich
    Xfernet - http://www.xfernet.com

The overage prices are in their (poorly written ToS):
    http://canaca.com/contract.html (under Traffic Usage)

Their statement claiming they can make changes is at the very bottom (under Furthermore)

They figure that a lawsuit would cost about as much as these overages if the court didn't go on their side - so they just sent out a plea for help.

I completely agree with those saying it should have just been suspended. They do that with other sites, but I believe they are doing this to make money back from their extreme overselling... they saw them go over - and decided to use them to rake in the dough.
    HALOChat
    www.halochat.net

But why you don't renounce to pay? Please be more clear.

I don't know why they're not renouncing to pay - I'll suggest it and see what they (the people in this situation) have to say.

Their discussion thread is here
    HALOChat
    www.halochat.net

Your site should have simply been suspended when you reached your alloted bandwidth amount of 400GB.
    And then he would have said that his site was suspended, that the hosts didn't try to work something out.

The reason for the suspension is to work something out without automatically charging him without him knowing it.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    And then he would have said that his site was suspended, that the hosts didn't try to work something out.
    Exactly - had the site been suspended, they would have figured something out (go to a different host, etc.) - put the files somewhere else (which I agree should have been done in the first place - but that's not what I'm focusing on here - I'm focusing on the insane bill, and honestly, who expects to use ~750 GB of bandwidth during your typical 9 to 5?) - the fact of the matter is, the host didn't say a word until they handed over the bill...
    Last edited by halochat; 07-03-2005 at 11:33 AM.
    HALOChat
    www.halochat.net

Canaca is not a certified host, a quick google brings up many ill reports relating to them overselling. This is their TOS, it's the worst contract I've ever seen.

The TOS contains their half-assed AUP, which merely states "don't abuse our servers".

"-Furthermore: Canaca.com retains the right to change any or all of the above Policies, Guidelines, and Disclaimers without notification."

^ Is that right?

halogrid.com was offered help by a reputable, I suggest they stop fund raising and start looking into taking legal action.

While this may seem like a very sleazy and underhanded bait and switch technique, I think it would be best to hear the other side of the story before passing judgment.

Does Canaca post here?

Originally posted by MMMedia
    Does Canaca post here?
    Often.

Wow, pretty insane story. Hope their negotiation works out.
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Originally posted by blue27
    I think it would be best to hear the other side of the story before passing judgment.
    I'd like to hear it as well - wonder how we can get them in here?

What's their username(s)?
    HALOChat
    www.halochat.net

Originally posted by halochat
    I'd like to hear it as well - wonder how we can get them in here?

What's their username(s)?

I'd say canaca, if they didn't make only 1 post...

mississa is the username of their representative here. (AFAIK)

Thanks, ldcdc and detrate... I'll see if we can get their side of the story...
    HALOChat
    www.halochat.net

Originally posted by detrate
    Canaca is not a certified host, a quick google brings up many ill reports relating to them overselling.
    Yea, thats not hard to guess. $7.95 for 20 gigs of space and 400 gigs of bandwidth. Even on a server with a 200 gig drive, thats only 10 accounts max. Even then you are barely paying for the cost of the hardware, let alone the $40 to $200 worth of bandwidth depending on your provider.
    Mark

I hardly believe anyone signed up with them with that kind of insane offer. However, they can fool some people some times, not all the people all the time (the quote goes something like that)

Good luck with the law, Its better simply switch host and let Canaca sue you. I donn't think they expect you to pay such amount(!) Do they?
    Dualnic.com | Connectivity. Stability. Reliability.
    Web Hosting & Reselling Since 2003
    "Our pricing may not beat the industry giants, but our service will"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast