mysql password woes

okay, i'm having major issues with mysql passwords.

when i create a new account using phpmyadmin or the mysql command line client, the password i set never works. if i set a password "apple" when i try to log in, it doesn't work. however, when i look at the mysql database, i can see that the user i created is there....

does anybody know why this happens and what i can do to fix it?

i did some more research and something funny turned up.

in the mysql database, the root account which has a working password, has a password that is only 16 letters, the passwords that don't work are 41 letter long...

its really wierd, if anybody can explain this, let me know.

Try setting a smaller password and see if it works. I tried looking briefly and did not see anything about a mysql password limit but 41 characters is very long.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service

the 41 letters isn't the password itself, but the password hash in the mysql database. the password itself is only 7 characters.

in the databases, i found 2 types of hashes, 16 letter and 41 letter hashes. the 41 letter hash passwords don't work while the 16 letter ones do.

i went to the mysql site and did some search. apparently, the 41 letter hash passwords were introduced with version 4.1. i currently run version 4.1.12, the latest version, so there should be no problems with the 41 letter password hashes.

when i went into the mysql command line and used
    mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'some_user'@'some_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('mypass');

with OLD_PASSWORD telling mysql to generate using the old 16 letter hashes, the password worked perfectly.

apparently, something is keeping me from using the newer, safer 41 letter hashes.

if anybody know what is causing this and how i can fix it, please let me know.