What to do when a Designer backs out...

Let me start this out by saying what I was having done by this designer was custom work, not a template already made with some modifications done to it.

He just informed me today that I am making to many requests for things to be done and that

qoute "Of all the designs I've made for people you are the absolute first I have had to absolutely decline. And that is simply because you are not open to something that looks a little different than what you are stuck on."

I responded with:

I have worked with other designers before, your not the first, and I always have my work completed to my satisfaction and NOT that of the designer. If that was the case, then you would not get the custom work if people thought they were only going to get YOUR vision of the product and not theirs. They would just buy a template...........

The person originally agreed to do the work on 6-8-05 and then forgot about me, but then responded back to me after I posted a new request for a redesign of my site 6-27-05. At no time did I make any cfhanges to how I wanted it to look like, nor did I add extra pages for him to do.

What Do I do besides the obvious, getting a new designer, isnt there something more that could be done?

Also, I had offered to pay more than DOUBLE what his templates he made had been selling for on WHT since this was custom index and 3 sub pages.
    Michael Neubauer

AlteredSanity - Reliable Linux Hosting

Have you already paid him? Sorry if that sounds stupid but if you haven't paid him, then your lucky...and should just find another designer.

No thank god, I think I'll have to find one thats probably not a kid at home making side money.
    Michael Neubauer

Firstly, contract. If the designer is not willing to offer you such a thing, do not even consider using him/them, unless they're a family friend or something similar.

I'm sorry to hear about this, the designer should know the client gets what the client wants when it comes to their end product. Unfortunately there's nothing more that can be done, except warn people to stay away from this incompetant(sp?) designer for custom work.

Please trust me when I say, always make sure you have a binding contract and agreed price, that clearly states what work is to be done for X$. If you want extra work done then you pay more. To be honest, I would try a company over a freelancer/business amateur trying to earn a few extra bucks. It will cost you a hell of a lot more but you also will get a better end product.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

My experience is just to move on and find someone else.

I'd definitely agree, that you should have a contract. If the designer was uncomfortable with the project he should have made that clear before accepting it or at least in the early stages.

If you haven't paid, find another one. There are so many around the net.

Originally posted by Equentity - Pauly
    I would try a company over a freelancer/business amateur trying to earn a few extra bucks. It will cost you a hell of a lot more but you also will get a better end product.
    How do you make the distinction btw a company and a kid working from his $300 dollars pc/ fill with cracked programs?

unless you go straight to a building and there is a secretary, and you see a bunch of Macs and 20' monitors no one will be able to find out who you dealing with.

AlteredSanity, you are a lucky person! just forget about that guy and move on with your project...
    el Dutty-Dutty

How do you make the distinction btw a company and a kid working from his $300 dollars pc/ fill with cracked programs?
    Companies tend to have a registration number, and are willing to provide you with any/all the information you require. They also type correctly, missing out 'u', 'dis' and 'dat'. You get my train of thought I suspect.

unless you go straight to a building and there is a secretary, and you see a bunch of Macs and 20' monitors no one will be able to find out who you dealing with.
    Not all companies have such resources, however I understand what you're getting at. But like I said above, someone or an organisation that's kosher, will tend to have either a registration number, or willing to bind themself into a contract. You have to remember persons under 18 cannot be bound by contract.

You'll also find companies charging well over 1k for website development, depending on the nature obviously, not 300$. These aren't the only differences, just the most noticable from my perspective.
    Last edited by stripeyteapot; 07-07-2005 at 07:22 PM.
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

Could you afford a company like that?

I know several, I mean the majority, of the designers are people who work from home. A small percentage works out of an office. At least from what I have seen. Could you imagine paying salaries, bills, rent, and all the other high fees it costs to run a small business, when making web sites for $1K and under?

But I know what you are saying as well. If you are really hard pressed, then get a phone number from them and talk to them on the phone. That way you can probably get an idea of what they are capable of as well as determine that they are not 13 years old...

Originally posted by Marble

But I know what you are saying as well. If you are really hard pressed, then get a phone number from them and talk to them on the phone. That way you can probably get an idea of what they are capable of as well as determine that they are not 13 years old...
    Yes. I cannot imagine dealing with a designer without talking to the company personally over the phone.
    That for me is a requirement. If they aren't willing to take the time, and phone me, well then I won't be dealing with them.

You should also take into consideration that this designer has probably been doing this for a while and knows what usually works out for the client.

When you feel that they are trying to go against what you want done, in reality they are probably trying to do what they feel will work best for your company.

But, If you have a vision and the work thats being done isnt close to that vision...I do not think so.

It should always be what the client wants. If the designer decides to go a different route, then the person needing the design should do the same.
    Michael Neubauer

Could you imagine paying salaries, bills, rent, and all the other high fees it costs to run a small business, when making web sites for $1K and under?
    It's not about paying the bills, it's about delivering a quality service, from a talented team which can provide excellent client relations throughout, which you can't get anywhere else.

Let's say you charge 100$ an hour, and it takes you 20 hours to develop a website. That sets your company back 2k$, which the developing company, in most cases then justifies through an ROI campaign.

It should always be what the client wants.
    Exactly! If the developer is not giving a direction the client wishes to persue, you have a problem. Which is why companies produce their own development methods and go through research and client-relation stages etc. I won't get into to much detail.

If the designer decides to go a different route, then the person needing the design should do the same.
    Walk away, find someone else and don't look back!
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right

Originally posted by Equentity - Pauly
    It's not about paying the bills, it's about delivering a quality service, from a talented team which can provide excellent client relations throughout, which you can't get anywhere else.
    I can't agree more, but going back to a comment made regarding choosing a design firm, the difference in pricing from a business that has a trendy office to a person at home will be dramatic. Most designers do not work in nice design firms. So basing reliability from whether they have an office and a secratary is not a reliable factor. But regardless of quality, you couldn't afford a full-time design team (and a secratary) building $1K sites. Unless you were cranking them out by the hundreds. You'll see design houses that have trendy offices, building sites for large companies like Nike or Range Rover, but making $40K-$60K from it. Now some smaller companies, that have maybe 2 owners and a pool of contract employees, possibly a full-time staffer who handles a lot of business needs and sales, they might take on a simple site for $1K. But then their staff is pretty small and made up of contracts, minus the secratary =D ...There are lots of those around.

But over all I think just talking to the person, in real life, or on the phone is probably one of the easiest ways to see if they are flaky or not. Plus seeing a decent portfolio of professional work helps =D