what does the uptime guarantee mean?

I notice that most hosting companies provide "uptime guarantees."

However I don't see what they'll do if the uptime is not met. And what exactly uptime means.

For example ************ - a site I'm thinking about using - lists a guaranteed uptime of 99.9%. That equates to less than 9 hours of downtime per year.

Nine hours doesn't sound half bad after my clients' sites at Reseller-Center lost email for 2 days when they botched an upgrade. They basically went silent as well leaving 100s if not 1000s of their customers twisting in the wind. I'm still pissed-off about it.

Do these uptime guarantees include email?

What does a company do when they don't meet uptime guarantees? My impression right now is "guaranteed uptime" is more of an advertising gimmick.

At most Reseller Center is talking about giving one month's free service as compensation.

-David

An uptime guarantee will often refer to network uptime, not server uptime.

Usually their terms will specify what compensation is due, if any.

Re: what does the uptime guarantee mean?

Originally posted by wireless1
    I notice that most hosting companies provide "uptime guarantees."

However I don't see what they'll do if the uptime is not met. And what exactly uptime means.

For example ************ - a site I'm thinking about using - lists a guaranteed uptime of 99.9%. That equates to less than 9 hours of downtime per year.

Nine hours doesn't sound half bad after my clients' sites at Reseller-Center lost email for 2 days when they botched an upgrade. They basically went silent as well leaving 100s if not 1000s of their customers twisting in the wind. I'm still pissed-off about it.

What does a company do when they don't meet uptime guarantees? My impression right now is "guaranteed uptime" is more of an advertising gimmick.

At most Reseller Center is talking about giving one month's free service as compensation.

-David
    Uptime guarantees are usually a policy in which if a hosting company goes below their particular %, they'll often compensate you somehow/someway.

The policies vary from company to company.
    Small Business Web Hosting with DOT45
    24/7/365 Technical Support; Windows Shared Environment; ColdFusion MX, ASP.NET, PHP, MS SQL, MySQL, Online Store Software, SiteBuilder, Secure Webmail via IlohaMail

what does the uptime guarantee mean?
    I real terms, more often than not, the uptime guarantee is worthless, as you've just discovered.

Most likely you'll now be entitled to 1 month of no charge hosting which surely means nothing compared to the loss caused by all that downtime. If someone wants real protection, he/she should get an insurance.

Edit: spelling.
    Last edited by ldcdc; 07-02-2005 at 09:00 PM.

An uptime guarantee will often refer to network uptime, not server uptime.

Usually their terms will specify what compensation is due, if any.
    Not always. There are some providers that guarantee hardware uptime in addition to network uptime. Some also guarantee uptime of certain servies such as MySQL.

That all depends and it is best to ask the host about this.

One thing to note, you're not going to get more than say a free month if uptime is less than 99.9%. A free month isn't all that attractive after you've had a decent chunk of downtime.

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

As said, uptime guarantees that are not backed by specifications about compensation, are rather worthless, as "guarantees".
    Then there's the question whether they refer to _network_ uptime or _site_ uptime!
    Finally, even if they have a real guarantee, and you experience significant downtime, they may dispute your claim. It really boils down to the general honesty and integrity of the company.
    Web Hosting Reviews based on real customer feedback
    77 Ways To More Traffic

As everybody has said, the uptime guarantee doesn't mean much unless it is tied to specific services and time frames. Many only guarantee the network uptime, and then you still need to read the fine print. I have seen some promise 99.9% when taken over the year. So if you only get 99.6% for a month, you are not entitled to anything. You only get a refund after they missed it for the year. That means you can't move after a bad month.

Most hosts/data centers will only honor their own monitoring. Just because SiteUptime says your server only had 98% uptime doesn't mean they will honor it. How do they know if the problem was their network, the internet, or Siteuptimes servers.

Most hosts that I have seen that actually offer an uptime guarantee, only offer if the server is down - not a single service like email.

It means nothing as long as the service provider specificly declares what they do in case of their server runs with less uptime than they promised.

The compensation could be an apologise, even an unanswered e-mail if you are working with an unreliable hosting provider
    About-Webhosting
    Everything you need to know about web hosting business..
    Realible and low-cost web hosting..
    30 Day Money Back Guarantee & Paypal Accepted

Check their SLA.
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

Originally posted by BaselineAce
    Check their SLA.
    Yes, I've been doing that. My conclusion is SLA is meaningless in any real sense. The SLAs I've read either offer a pittance in renumeration, e.g., the percentage of a time period, usually a month, that the site was down will be refunded as a percentage of the monthly site hosting fee. Or else there's so many out clauses that you couldn't hold them to it really.

So basically you just find someone with a good reputation and a solid setup and hope for the best.

I'm probably going to switch my clients to ************. They have a decent reputation as well as the services I need, that is, secure email, special email considerations, reasonably priced, all the asp.net stuff I need and a few other things. Downside is they have unlimited/unmetered bandwidth, and their tech support, while responsive is not very adept. They apparently skim the ticket and provide a quick answer. I've asked three times why their uptime link doesn't work before receiving an answer. They answered a question wrong ("we don't have secure email") then, "yes we have secure email. It has an outsourced feeling if you know what I mean. Maybe it's a little better if you have an account with them.

I like fluidhosting. Their site is lightning fast and their tech support very knowledgeable. You feel like they understood your question completely when they answer. However they are a bit on the expensive side. Not much so but ************ has the special corporate email feature and sharepoint which one of my clients may use. These features and the price basically tilt it in their favor. I don't need the superfast site fluidhosting offers but it is impressive and crisp. Also their website design has a solid quality feel about it. I still may use them.

Also considered discountasp. I see why they are the developers choice. They have all kinds of .net widgets, programming forums, and stuff. I'd pick them if I had heavier development needs. But their site looks like a train wreck. It's like driving down the the most overdeveloped billboarded, fast fooded restuarant, street in town. You know what I mean. Just a big tacky looking mess. Nevertheless, the have a lot of good stuff if you take the time to wade through it.

Jodohost and hostnexus look pretty good. They're right up there. Dot45 doesn't really have a good way to get in touch with them at least on a pre-sales basis.

Originally posted by ldcdc
    I real terms, more often than not, the uptime guarantee is worthless, as you've just discovered.

Sadly Dan this is all too true.
    The uptime guarantee is too often used as just another scam to entice people to sign up.

I have never understood the value of a network uptime guarantee. What good is it to the client if the network is up but their server is not?

Originally posted by blue27
    Sadly Dan this is all too true.
    The uptime guarantee is too often used as just another scam to entice people to sign up.

I have never understood the value of a network uptime guarantee. What good is it to the client if the network is up but their server is not?
    Network uptime would apply to dedicated servers and co-location, assuring that the network would always be available.
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ

assuring that the network would always be available.
    A network uptime guarantee doesn't assure anything either. Even large datacenters had downtime.

Originally posted by gavingreen
    An uptime guarantee will often refer to network uptime, not server uptime
    Network uptime is the easiest to achieve, especially if you get provider like Internap, etc which offers 100% network and power uptime. Server uptime is much harder to achieve. But I know some hosts who offer server/services uptime. At least with us, we offer uptime for all services: PgSQL, MySQL, MSSQL, POP, IMAP, SMTP, HTTP, FTP, DNS, and etc. During any given month, if any of these services are down for some period of time, we do give refund.

One may wonder, why bother doing so? Well, because offering just network uptime is easy. Everybody can do that
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - HSphere Shared and Reseller hosting - Now with HIGH AVAILABILITY
    Fluid VPS - Linux and Windows Virtuozzo VPS - Enterprise VPS with up to 2 GB guaranteed memory!
    Get your N+1 High Availability Enterprise Cloud
    Equinix Secaucus NY2 (NYC Metro)

16. My host sometimes offers refunds for extra downtime which is nice.