Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Rage on me

Road Rage on me

People are sure getting testy out on the roads! This morning I was off to the gym and there was an SUV at the light. I was behind him. The light turned green and he didn't move. He was on the cell phone looking down so I figured no big deal he didn't see the light turn green so I gave him a quick tap of the horn not a blaring on the horn...one tap. This was after at least 10 seconds of him sitting there with the light green. Man you think I just run over his dog. He was flipping me off and yelling at me. Cursing and all that. It was kind of scary because you never know now days people get shot be these type of road ragers. I just gave him a sorry nod and then ignored him as he went off on me until my turn onto the freeway. It was hard not to loose my cool but I'm not about to get into a fist fight over something so trivial and like I said you never know who is armed now days (not just with guns, knives, baseball bat, etc.). I thought I was being nice letting him know the light was green.

Now imagine if you were the one talking on your cellphone and the light was green....and he was the one sitting in the car behind you. I would hate to see what would happen...

I can imagine him reacting the same way he did...but with more cursing such as "the light is green...move it." I can imagine him beeping his horn every second until you move your car.

You were being nice to him...but if he was the driver in the car behind you, his purpose for beeping the horn wouldn't be to 'be nice to you.' It would be just to curse you off for wasting his time.
    It seems he doesn't mind it if he waste your time...but he mind it if you waste his time.

We had that happen to us actually one day. And to top it off, this guy actually had one of those for sale signs on his truck. So after he got far away and we turned the corner, I blocked my cell number and called him. I told him what a jerk he was and then told him that he should watch it, you never know these days (especially in Los Angeles). He started yelling and I just told him that was the end of the conversation, that I had my say and hung up

Anyone seen the minicooper ad for the "hello horn" or whatever its called?

Unfortunately there will always be people like that on the road, you did well by not "playing" his game.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

Pretty tough on the road these days. Lots of misdirected anger. You did well to not get sucked in. Fluff it off and move on. Simply not worth the hassle.

This thread reminds me of a something I have often wondered about. If the guy in front of you was a cop, would you have tapped the horn? (Many wouldn't, for fear of irritating a cop. I would have...)

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Originally posted by vito

This thread reminds me of a something I have often wondered about. If the guy in front of you was a cop, would you have tapped the horn? (Many wouldn't, for fear of irritating a cop. I would have...)
    I wouldn't have honked. I just can never know what the situation is. I'm in no hurry to go anywhere anyways.

Originally posted by Rob83
    I wouldn't have honked. I just can never know what the situation is. I'm in no hurry to go anywhere anyways.
    If I was in the states I wouldn't honk, in Canada it's a different story.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

I have also noticed when travelling, in California, they will honk. Heck, I have see some of them honk when the light is red and getting ready to change.

In Arizona though, when we were there, I do not think we ever heard one person honk their horn

Here in the boonies people tend to be a LOT more laid back than in the city (Chicago). In the city (or heck even in the suburbs, where I used to live) if your car wasn't moving the SECOND the light turned to green you'd hear incessant honking and see a few people give you the one-finger salute

Where we live now you normally get about 10 seconds before someone starts tentatively honking.

Have to say I much prefer driving here than in the city
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

I always keep pennies at my car.....

whenever someone screams at me, or even just a finger.. they recieve a penny...

Now they wont be able to catch me anyways..

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

12. I did that once about a year ago.
    When he eyed me in the rearview mirror my heart skipped a beat.
    Its interesting coz I had no reason to get scared. I had my license, registration and insurance.

If the guy in front of you was a cop, would you have tapped the horn? (Many wouldn't, for fear of irritating a cop. I would have...)

Vito
    Anyway it's been proven that SUVs give people false sense of authority & power. Either that or these people are just mad at the world because they have to spend more on gas and that the gas prices look like they are never gonna go back to the $1.50 level.
    Hey no offence to SUV drivers reading this post though.
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

I ain't got no patience with these raging idiots on the road, I just give the universal "you me pull over" sign (point at me point him point at the side of the road and nod).

I scream and holler a lot when I'm driving but I don't flip off someone unless they really asked for the finger, though I am quick to toot the horn if people are holding up a light or picking boogers at a 4 way stop, or similar levels of stupid.

Of course, unfriendly looking rednecks in mean sounding trucks typically don't get screwed with too much. Not like some wimpy lookin fella in a Honda will get screwed with anyway hahaha They know they can't outrun us if they push the wrong button...
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

10 seconds? I usually give them one or two seconds to go at a green light before I tap my horn. If you can't pay attention you shouldn't be driving.

The worst is when someone's on a cell phone. Here in NY it's illegal but everyone still does it anyway.

well the next time somebody flips you off remind yourself to signal back.
    Kerry Jones

I live in the boonies in California and we have a lot of those idiots here as well. It doesn't matter how you react or what you say, you're 100% wrong and they are 100% right. If you don't believe it, ask them.
    Everyone is entitled to MY opinion.
    CatfishEd.com

Originally posted by DriverDan
    10 seconds? I usually give them one or two seconds to go at a green light before I tap my horn. If you can't pay attention you shouldn't be driving.

The worst is when someone's on a cell phone. Here in NY it's illegal but everyone still does it anyway.
    Ya I hate seeing some chatty Sally on their cell phone while that precious green burns away and not moving... My wife gets so annoyed because I will reach over and honk the horn for her since she will NEVER honk the damn horn "sometimes people DESERVE to be honked at, so HONK DAMNIT" but nope, she won't do it.

One thing I like about my Sidekick is you can put it on speaker phone and I set it on my dash in in front of the speedometer and talk that way hands free, if I'm in my newer truck but if I'm in my old truck you can hang that idea up the motor rumbles too loudly to speak over it on a speakerphone, especially with no AC and no carpet on the floor, too much noise. Once I get the inside painted and the dynamat and carpet put down and the AC fixed I "might" could talk on the phone then even in it, hard to say until then.

I don't like talking on the phone even hands free though, I just feel like it takes too much of my attention off the road, it's odd how talking to someone with you in the car requires like 1/10th of your attention than talking on the phone requires.
    resident grumpy redneck

Vito
    Who? me? I certainly wouldn't even pass the cop. Cop think the own the place. You either kiss their shoes or you can the metal bar inside the jail.
    arpmn, I think people just like to argue with people. If they have no direct person to show their anger at...they might as well be trying to beat a dead horse. You did good by keeping your cool. He was definity beating a dead horse in this case for not moving out of the way. In other word, it was like you just walked away...without sitting up for yourself. You refused to let his anger set you off.

Vito
    Oh absolutely I'll honk at a cop if he's acting stupid (not going on green, etc).

I'll pass one too if he ain't doing the speed limit, though I'll make darn sure my needle doesn't even caress the 1 mph over the limit point either though!

Most cops that see me out in my old truck wanna see under the hood anyway.
    resident grumpy redneck

It generally doesn't really bother me to honk the horn when ppl are slow at a light. I usually have my windows down, and say something loudly to myself (hopefully they'll have their windows down as well). HEEEELLLLLOOOO But I don't stick my head out the window like some ppl do.

Plus, its actually against the law here to honk your horn at someone, unless its to avoid an accident. I'm not taking any chances (we have an active police department -- lots of officers patrolling everywhere - keeps the crime down, so I don't mind).

I don't talk on my cell phone while in the car -- unless I'm parked somewhere (parking lot, etc).

I'm patient one on the road... I'm not generally in a hurry to get anywhere, anyways... so it doesn't really bother me (unless ppl are insanely long at lights).

I'm just too [email protected] nice

Originally posted by rockergrrl
    I usually have my windows down, and say something loudly to myself ...
    My favorite is the classic "Is there a particular shade of green you're waiting for??"

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I have no room to talk. I have bad road rage. The other day while driving with my friend, we had a situation like this. My friend honked, the other driver did that whole yell out the window thing. I stuck my whole upper half of my body out the passenger side window and gave him the double "thumbs up", with a few "motivational words." He was one of those kids in a ricer that couldn't do anything anyways.

23. I DARE you to honk at this car:
    http://www.molestedcars.com/wtf/017.jpg
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Many years ago, I was driving along the off ramp of a highway in my 7 ton truck hauling a load of bottled water when some hotshot cut me off with his Mustang. When I got to the red light, I rolled down the window and yelled at his car which was a few lanes away from me.

Suddenly, I see this massive guy emerge from the car. He whipped off his jacket and started charging for my truck. This guy was like nothing I'd ever seen before. He made Lou Ferrigno look like the 98 pound weakling at the beach. I'm a pretty big guy myself and don't usually back down from anyone, but this lump of steroids charging towards me scared the living crap outa me. I popped that clutch so fast, I swear I burnt rubber, which is hard to do when you're hauling a load of water.

I think my knees were shaking for a good half hour afterwards.

Vito

About a month and a half ago, I had a school bus drive try to start something with me... Luckily no kids in the bus (even though the elementary school was only a block away).

I was at a light (left turn lane - right after school ended), and I saw the bus come up behind me (at a decent speed), so I inched up closer to the link (You get rear ended one time, and you get iffy about everyone behind you)... I looked in my rear view window (with my eyes, not my head looking up), and I could see her motioning to me with her hands (the F-You signal - w/o the finger). I ignored her...

When the light turned green, I didn't go, because there were kids crossing the street (with crossing guards). So I waited until they crossed... apparently she didn't like me doing this, because she was revving the engine (grrr).

I turned left when I was told it was clear by the guards, and got in the right turn lane. I was behind a car, waiting for the light, and she pulls up and syops (with a good 3 car lengths behind the car in front of her), and opens up the bus' door, and starts ranting and raving at me....

For what? Not plowing over 2 seven year old kids?

I wish I would've got her bus number, I would've reported her (she doesn't deserve to be a bus driver).

Re: Road Rage on me

Originally posted by arpmn
    I just gave him a sorry nod and then ignored him as he went off on me until my turn onto the freeway.
    Oh, that was you? Sorry.

-B

I know you where scared, but I could not help but laugh at this. If anyone seen Vito picture you would understand .

Many years ago, I was driving along the off ramp of a highway in my 7 ton truck hauling a load of bottled water when some hotshot cut me off with his Mustang. When I got to the red light, I rolled down the window and yelled at his car which was a few lanes away from me.

Suddenly, I see this massive guy emerge from the car. He whipped off his jacket and started charging for my truck. This guy was like nothing I'd ever seen before. He made Lou Ferrigno look like the 98 pound weakling at the beach. I'm a pretty big guy myself and don't usually back down from anyone, but this lump of steroids charging towards me scared the living crap outa me. I popped that clutch so fast, I swear I burnt rubber, which is hard to do when you're hauling a load of water.

Vito

OK, one more road rage story.

In the early 90s, I was driving that same truck full of bottled water. I was going about 30 mph in the right lane, and some turkey cut right in front of me and slammed on his brakes to turn into a driveway. I had to brake really hard, and I could feel all the bottles topple over and break back in my cargo area. I laid on the horn and yelled at him.

Suddenly, he jumped out of his car, stormed over to my truck, ripped the door open, grabbed my foot and yanked me down from the truck. When I landed, I was off balance from the drop. Before I knew it, he had me in a headlock and was puching at my head. It friggin hurt!! Still stunned by what was happening, I lunged back and smashed him up against my truck, and he let go. I came up with one puch in the ribs and he went down. I got in my truck and left him on the ground as I drove away.

That night, I got a call from a cop. Uh oh. I thought I was in trouble. He informed me that I broke the guy's rib. Now my mind is racing about being charged. But luckily, someone witnessed the whole thing and told the cops about it. And the lunatic who attacked me was apparently strung out on drugs. The cop was merely calling me to ask if I wanted to press charges.

*phew*

Vito

Did you press charges? I know I would if I was you .

As for road rage for me I have not really had any major issues with people around here. Though I did get one guy that try to run me off with his truck. I was driving on the right hand side and he was driving on the left hand side he was going about 40 miles per hour and I was going little over 45.

So I passed in front of him (about a car length if not more) then I noticed he started to speed up and almost ran into the backside of the car . So I slammed on my breaks a little bit to basically say get the hell off my car end side!

Then I went to pull in the gas the honked his horn and he gave me the bird. So I gave it back to him.

In retrospect, I regret not having pressed charges. At the time, I just wanted it all to just go away. Oh well. Too late now.

Vito

I rarely use my horn. I figure these people are so used to hearing horns behind them that it sounds normal to them. I use my clutch a lot to rev my engine. Someday that will probably destroy my car. My coworker asks me when I plan to replace my 1999 Saturn, but I figure I should just wait until revving my engine at the idiot in front of me enough times makes that decision for me.

some good stories. I like vito's stories mostly though.

I havent experienced any road rage really all though my dad likes to yell and scream at other veichels when they do stupid stuff.

Thanks
    - James

33. Yeah I like Vito's story the most. Cracked me up big time. But one wonders what the heck he was doing with the water.

Originally posted by PHPGeek2k3
    some good stories. I like vito's stories mostly though.

I havent experienced any road rage really all though my dad likes to yell and scream at other veichels when they do stupid stuff.

Thanks
    - James

I owned a spring water bottling business for 18 years.

Vito

Vito,

I think we need to setup a stool under a oak tree and have us all sit on the ground and have you tell us your life experiences!
    Kerry Jones

Dang, now you're makin' me feel old!

If I can find my cane, I'm gonna wobble over there and hit you with it!!

Vito

I wouldn't worry until you start craving prune juice and yelling at the young'ins for making a ruckus.
    Kerry Jones

Originally posted by Kerry Jones
    I wouldn't worry until you start craving prune juice and yelling at the young'ins for making a ruckus.
    I would watch out Kerry.... Vito has backup I believe his name is Gino.

I would watch out Kerry.... Vito has backup I believe his name is Gino.
    I think Gino "disappeared" a few weeks ago.

yeah, uh, it wasn't me.

Kerry Jones

You know, I followed you for a bit after that, but couldnt figure out how to stop your truck so I gave up

Yeah, Lou is a wuss compared to me

Vito

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast