XP Formatting Question

I think I need to format my computer; it's been acting funny and kind of slow lately and it's been about a year since the last time.

Anyway I have a LOT of programs installed and do not relish the idea of putting in a bunch of CDs and sifting through emails for those that I purchased online. Is there any way to back up the programs/keys I want to keep and then copy them into the programs folder after I've finished formatting? Or would I be resigned to reinstalling them from CDs/downloads anyway?
    <?php echo "Signature here"; ?>

You'll have to reinstall them all.

Ahh well one can dream

Depending on the applications, alohabob pc relocator may work. http://www.alohabob.com/
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

You can try the File and Settings Transfer Wizard see if that'll work for you
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

Are you looking for something like this:
    http://www.meritline.com/usbdrive.html

or this

http://www.buslink.com/p_cat1.asp?catID=21

or this

USB drive

I suspect you were asking for something to copy your files onto a CD so that you store files on. Or maybe you were looking for a DVD drive that can work with the USB port.

I think you can try using Ghost to replicate, but you will need another hard disk for that.

Originally posted by boonchuan
    I think you can try using Ghost to replicate, but you will need another hard disk for that.
    The only problem with that is that he will end up with the same messed up windows he started with. He's looking for a way to do a fresh install of windows yet save his installed applications.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

If you want to backup the emails and use outlook express, use Outlook express backup ( from genie soft) ...i format my main machine, every 4 months...backup and then restore the emails....it works great....

i format my main machine, every 4 months
    What do you do to need to format so often? I've had my laptop 3 years and never had to format it and it still runs fine.
    Steve

Originally posted by Vortex-Steve
    What do you do to need to format so often? I've had my laptop 3 years and never had to format it and it still runs fine.
    Some do it more often that others, You cant say your laptop runs as good as it did when you plugged it in for the first time, and some just cant live with that, Me included. i reformat about every 6 months

I format my main machine every 4 months, becouse, like The Napster said...i cant live if i dont make a format...i feel good...
    I follow a few steps, and to reinstall everything ( winxp and the others programs i have saved in other partition ), takes me 55 minutes....

I would recommend reinstalling everything instead of copying and transfering. You would go back to the same slow pc as you had before.

After all, isn't the whole point of a format is to clean your computer?
    remy

wow, i've never formatted my pc and i've had it for 2 years! Why do you guys feel the need to reformat? Oh and my guess is burn everything to a few dvds

It's a long process....unless your pc is screwed up I wouldn't bother.

I don't format my computer unless I really have to. Formatting is a chore. I'd rather live with slow speeds...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Well, it's not just the fact that it's running a little slower; it's been doing some strange things lately (like just deciding not to download my email or do something else that it should not think twice about) and quite frankly I don't have the time to sit and troubleshoot it.

I usually don't format unless it starts getting slow and buggy-ish like it is.

@talkfreelance - wish I could burn to dvd's but I don't have a dvd burner

Ah well, guess I'll just have to make the best of it.