Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Blacklotus: the other side

3 months ago we found ourselves, like many others,without a server as we had been with Dinix for over a year.
    Then they vanished on thousands of us and as so many of you did we scrambled to find a new dedicated host.
    We researched on the forums and chose to go with Blacklotus/Staminus. They seemed to have a very good reputation. They offered nice ddos protection and cpanel which we needed.

I began my communication with Jeff Lyon who owns blacklotus. He was very kind and helpful. He did help me to get
    a new dedicated at an affordable price. He went and set up the order for me with the help of another man named Shawn.
    He then sent me to a link to make a paypal payment. I did this and thought that this was the beginning of a lasting
    relationship with Blacklotus. We were pleased at first.

Shortly after that we had a few techinical issues come up. Some were handled quite well and others gave us a reason
    to begin to worry. In some cases the server was completly down and I put the ticket in as a 911 and waited 5+ hours for
    a reply. They did not know what was wrong and it took them until that night to get it up and working. It was a miscommunication
    between blacklotus and staminus. This was due to the fact that the bill was due on the 25th of the month and for some reason
    my verizon email account with them was not recieving any emails.I did not realize the bill was due or overdue. I did put in a ticket asking if there was a reason that I was not getting emails and was told that they had no idea but to check my email account which I did but there was nothing there. At any rate, the server was shut off on the 26th because the bill was due on the 25th. I immediatly made the throuh paypal and called Staminus who turned it back on for me. I had put in a ticket with Blacklotus as well explaining the email situation and the fact that I had made the payment. I showed them a copy ofmy paypal reciept. They assuered me that everything was fine. I addressed the
    fact that their company has no grace period and that I would have liked to have known that sooner. Things seemed fine.

However that night about 1 am the server went offline. This is where trouble began. I issued a ticket and it took them almost 24 hours to figure out that they forgot that staminus had put us in the null route. This was quite a problem but was eventually fixed.

From this point on we began to have other issues. All of a sudden our cpanel liscences were invalid. I contacted them ad it was fixed in a few minutes.

Then a week later it happed again. This time they were gone for about 21 hours total. This did upset us quite a bit. Jeff felt that this should not be a big issue as the sites on the server were still functional. We did not see it that way. Without the cpanel no one can work with mail, databases, stats, or number of functions. We as well without a whm could not create any new accounts. Restart our apache, check on the server, unsuspend or suspend accounts. WE could not unban bandwidth exceeders etc. This to us was quite important. Their tech was nice enough to get us a temp cpanel liscence and stated that this woudget our cpanel back up as if we waited for the real liscece it would be at least another day. He said that the temp would be converted to the real one a day or so later. We were annoyed but pleased with the fact that they worked to get us cpanel at the 21 hour downtime mark. I then wrote them and said that I believed
    that we were entitled to a refund for the cpanel for that month. Their employee John spoke said no originally then spoke to Jeff and said that Jeff was issuing us the full month cpanel fee on our next bill due on June 25. We were quite pleased with this.

Things seemed to be going alright for a bit. Then however, a few days ago we lost our cpanel liscence again. I wrote to them and this is what happened step by step

Ticket #14828 - our cpanels are gone again. 3 times now! Reload Ticket

Originally Submitted: 4 days ago Owner: Jeffrey ***
    Last Updated: 1 days ago Department: BLC Support
    Post a Followup

Client

Jennifer *****
    ******@****** Received on 06/26/2005 1:57:29PM

Unactivated License File

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    cpanel.net

this is the third time in a month that this has happened. I have to have this
    fixed asap. Last time it took almost a full day. I think that you would agree
    that this cannot continue. It is interfering with our business and we cannot
    afford any more setbacks. Please contact me asap about this matter!
    Reply | Reply & Quote
    Client
    Jennifer ******
    ********@***** Received on 06/26/2005 2:02:49PM
    72.20.3.134 using package 15-DAY-TEST and is licensed though: Direct Licenses
    (active on: 2005-06-09 23:25:56, group: Black Lotus Communications) and is
    expired/deactived by unknown on 2005-06-25 07:00:01.

the last time that we had this problem your tech got us a temp liscense so that
    we would not be down another 24 hours.. however YOUR company was supposed to
    reinstitute our REAL liscence. You did NOT do this. Please fix this
    immediately.
    Reply | Reply & Quote
    Staff

Jeffrey **** Sent to Jennifer ****** on 06/26/2005 3:06:42PM
    Jennifer,

We are waiting for NR Software to activate your license on their account, this
    is a maintenance issue and there will be several days of downtime. A
    deactivation of the Cpanel license does not entail a complete outage of your
    server, thus the 911 ticket status is inappropriate.

Last time I authorized a complete refund for an entire month of the license
    fee. As such, I expect that you will be courteous and understanding while we
    transfer the licenses.

Best regards,
    --
    Jeffrey *****, President
    Level III Information Systems Technician
    [email protected] | http://www.blacklotus.net
    Black Lotus Communications of The IRC Company, Inc.
    Reply | Reply & Quote
    Client

Jennifer *****
    *****@***** Received on 06/26/2005 3:20:34PM
    Mr. Lyon,

The last time that we had this problem your tech said that it would all be
    cleared up within another 24 hours of time. He said nothing about days and days
    of outage. Therefore, I fully expected that the next day as he described to me
    our real liscense would be reactivated to replace the temp one he gave us. I do
    not feel that I am being rude I feel a great deal of frustration with the
    cpanels down and my clients yelling abut not being able to check the error
    logs, stats, scripts and most importantly the databases. For most of the sites
    we run a database error can destroy a site if we are unable to get into the
    cpanel to work on it. This is an important issue. Additionally, if there was
    going to be this outage why were we not informed with an email notice. I did
    appreciate the refund from the last time but i do not feel it was a gift but
    rather a neccessity on your companys part. What is the estimated wait on
    getting the cpanels to work again? You should understand that while this
    downtime is occuring we cannot take on any new clients or adjust bandwidth or
    any of the normal functions that a host does. This is costing us money that we
    cannot afford to lose. I would like to be kept informed and have an estimate on
    when things will be working again.
    Thank you, Jennifer
    Reply | Reply & Quote
    Staff

Jeffrey **** Sent to Jennifer ***** on 06/26/2005 3:25:56PM
    Jennifer,

We are having issues with the licenses that will not be resolved for several
    days. You should have been warned of this when the temporary license was
    established, if not, I apologize. You have other options for purchasing a
    license as there are numerous external vendors who would be happy to sell to
    you. We are not your only choice.

If you choose this route, let me know and I will remove the Cpanel license from
    your account and refund any applicable fees for the license.

Best regards,
    --
    Jeffrey ****, President
    Reply | Reply & Quote
    Client

Jennifer ***
    ******@****** Received on 06/26/2005 3:37:49PM
    warning would have been appreciated. If you look back at my other tickets about
    this you will see that there was no warning whatsoever.
    Reply | Reply & Quote
    Staff

Jeffrey Lyon Sent to Jennifer ***** on 06/26/2005 3:40:19PM
    Agreed. I was personally unaware that the expiration of the temporary key was
    set for today, otherwise I would have put out a memo last week.

Best regards,
    --
    Jeffrey Lyon, President
    Reply | Reply & Quote
    Staff

John **** Sent to Jennifer **** on 06/27/2005 8:42:25PM
    Jennifer,

Can you verify that your CPANEL is still down?

NRSoftware indicates that it should be up.

Regards
    --
    John *****, Technical Support
    Reply | Reply & Quote
    Client

Jennifer
    ***@***** Received on 06/28/2005 10:36:47AM
    Yes, the cpanels are up now however our server is running incredibly slow.
    Is there any reason for this??
    >

Reply | Reply & Quote
    Staff

Jeffrey *** Sent to Jennifer ***** on 06/28/2005 2:20:19PM
    No, none that I am aware of.

Best regards,
    --
    Jeffrey ****, President
    Reply | Reply & Quote

------------------------------------------------- this is when the ticket was closed and the issue was resolved. But then John Felt the
    need to make this a personal attack upon me and he reopened the ticket

S
    taff

John *** Sent to Jennifer **** on 06/29/2005 10:00:51AM
    Jennifer,

To follow up on your CPANEL license:

1) Our license vendor has contacted CPANEL to arrange for the license
    activation.
    2) Cpanel had already been contacted and was in the process of filling the
    request when your temporary license expired.
    Cpanel knew you had a temporary license, they knew it was going to expire,
    they knew when it was going to expire and they knew that the license was being
    renewed.
    They allowed it to expire anyway.
    3) Cpanel should have your 'REAL' license activated shortly.

We did our job. Our vendor did their job. Cpanel let your temporary license
    expire. Yet you blast us for not doing our job.

Claiming that our company was 'supposed' to get a real license is accurate.
    Claiming that we did not do it implies that we just sat around and watched your
    cpanel expire without lifting a finger, which simply isnt true.

As to the 'refund' which you claim was a necessity on our part; I'm sorry but
    that is absurd.
    Your outage cannot be attributed to any neglect or misconduct on our part. We
    offer CPANEL as a courtesy and we do not make any money on it. Our web server's
    cpanel license was turned off along with yours and our temporary also expired.
    Our license has yet to be re-activated.

Jennifer, one fact of life is that "perception is reality."

You perceive that we are not doing our job, and therefore that is reality to
    you.
    You perceive that we owed you a refund for a full month's service when your
    outage, which was out of our control, only lasted a day or two, and therefore
    that is reality to you.
    Your perception is that you are patient, understanding and polite, and
    therefore that is reality to you.

Suffice to say, our perception of the situation is slightly different.

I will let you know, as soon as I have confirmation, when your perm. cpanel
    license is activated.

Regards,

--
    John ****, Technical Support
    Reply | Reply & Quote
    Client

Jennifer ***
    ******@******* Received on 06/29/2005 10:33:41AM

For the record in this ticket i NEVER indicated that I expected a refund. I only
    asked for a refund last time and was pleased with the cpanel refund. I have been
    very patient with your company and as polite as I could be. You blame the outage
    on cpanel which is fine and most likely true but, How was I supposed to know
    that ??????????????? With no communication from you. I expect that you as our
    datacenter would be on top of these things. Jeff **** himself in this ticket
    stated that if he had realized that the temp liscences would be expiring on
    that date he would have sent out an email the week before. I do not appreciate
    the tone of your email to me at all. I feel that it was very out of line, I was
    as patient as possible. In my last ticket about this you , yourself, clearly
    stated that you got us a temp liscence and that a real one would be issued a
    couple of days later. That is the information that I was going off of. Perhaps
    if you had been more clear this situation would have gone more smoothly. I
    would appreciate less accusation in any further emails from you. Mr Lyon was
    decent to me during this ticket and I feel that your email was a bit of an
    attack. The cpanel situation seems to be under control now. I did not ask for a
    full months refund or any at all. I have tried to be polite and expect the same
    in return.
    Thank you

Reply | Reply & Quote
    Staff

John *** Sent to Jennifer ***** on 06/29/2005 12:25:33PM
    Jennifer,

I'm sorry that you perceived my email as an attack. I was simply telling you
    how I feel when I read your communications.

You wrote: "I did appreciate the refund from the last time but i do not
    feel it was a gift but rather a neccessity on your companys part."

Generally, in my experience, if the appreciaiton is genuine, a "thank
    you" is not followed by "but". You used not just one, but 2 buts
    which doubly emphasized to me that we 'owed' you the refund and you appreciated
    that we did what we were supposed to do. To me that is rather paradoxical.

It takes you only moments to contact us with a problem, yet when I issued you
    the refund, it took you 5 days and another email from me to even acknowledge
    that you were getting a refund. Then you stated you thought you had responded.
    Well, perhaps I thought I had responded to you regarding your Cpanel license.
    Would you accept it if i said "Sorry jennifer, I thought I had told you
    that your license was going to expire again"? I suspect not, yet you
    clearly expected me to accept your belated 'thanks' as sincere.

Personally, I have perceived almost every one of your emails to have underlying
    hostility, anger and attitude. You very carefully add 'nice' words as if to add
    a bit of sugar to the spoonful of caster oil you are about to demand that we
    swallow.

That is my perception. It is NOT an attack. It is how I interpret your
    communications. If you believe all of your commuincations are done with love
    and warmth, then we clearly see things differently. Maybe I am seeing it
    incorrectly? Perhaps you are more caustic than you intend?

You have been late on every single payment to date. Perhaps only 1 day, perhaps
    3 days, but you have not made a single payment on or before the due date of your
    invoices. That is your responsibility, yet when I remind you that you are past
    due, you reply with indignant emails as if to say "how dare you ask me to
    pay on time!".

You always have a good reason for being late, yet you do not seem willing to
    accept our 'reasons' when you are demanding service and satisfaction.

To me, there is a huge difference between a request and a demand. A request is
    polite, a demand is closer to hostile. Am I misinterpreting your intentions
    when I perceive you are making 'demands' in your emails?

Again, these are my perceptions and I, like you, am entitled to them. If you
    want my perceptions to change, perhaps you could reflect on the events and
    communications that gave me these perceptions. You are responsible for half of
    the communications between you and me. And that half is the half which gives me
    the basis for my perception. I am responsible for the other half of the
    communication and that half gives you the basis for your perception.

Jennifer, you may send any email, with any wording you wish, but you may not
    insist that I interpret it in any way other than the way in which I choose to
    interpret it. If you wish to change my perception, then I submit to you that
    you might consider changing your wording.

In the same manner that you are free to interpret my emails in any way you
    choose.

Regards,

--
    John *****, Technical Support
    Reply | Reply & Quote
    Client

Jennifer *****
    *****@**** Received on 06/29/2005 2:03:44PM
    I believe that communication between you and I should cease. Perhaps another
    employee would be better suited to deal with me in the future. The only comment
    that I have for your very caustic last email is this. I have been late paying
    the bill by a day or two. I was not aware in the beginning that there was no
    grace period. I then immediatly made the payments. You say that I always have
    an excuse for the payment being late which is not true. I only did that the
    first time that it was an issue as I did not know that it was of urgency and my
    original email account with your company was not recieving any emails from you.
    I still am not recieving an invoice saying "your bill is due in 5 days or
    anything similar" I did however get the one that said that it was overdue
    by a day and I immediatly made the payment. I will be certain that from now on
    the bill is in on the 25th of each month not the 26th. I would greatly
    appreciate you not contacting me again. Thank you.
    Reply | Reply & Quote
    Post a Followup

Obviously at this point I was quite upset so I contacted Jeff Via email

On 6/30/05, **** <****@*****> wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Jeff,
    > > I have recieved two , in my opinion, caustic and unneccessary emails
    > > today
    > > from your employee John Blazek. I would appreciate if you would look over
    > > the ticket for me. I have written him back asking that he not contact me
    > > again. I feel that someone else on your staff would be more suited to deal
    > > with me. I would like to know why he reopened a closed issue just to
    > > attack
    > > me. The reasons should be obvios when you read the tickets. His emails are
    > > not an effective or professional way to deal with clients. I would like to
    > > stay with your company however I will not be spoken to or ridiculed this
    > > way. If you feel the same as your employee we will seek a new datacenter
    > > before the next payment is due. Please let me know.
    > > Thank you, Jennifer ******

He then replied to me with the following

Jennifer,
    >
    > He specifically asked me to review your ticket and I am aware of his
    > response. Him and I addressed the issue, specifically how I felt it
    > was unnecessary to continue to discuss the issue after you and I had
    > wrapped it up.
    >
    > I would not expect communication to continue in that same tone,
    > however, if you wish to not be contacted by John it can certainly be
    > arranged. My only concern is the impact that would have to our
    > response time in situations where John is the on-duty manager.
    >
    > Best regards, Jeff
    to which I replied

On 6/30/05, **** <***@*****> wrote:
    > I feel that in his two emails to me yesterday he completely attacked me as a
    > person. There was no reason for it other then his obvious dislike of me for
    > whatever reason. I will not be insulted like that by someone who is supposed
    > to work for a company that I pay good money to. He was out of line and the
    > only way that I could concievably deal with him again without feeling
    > attacked would be if he issued me an apology. You have to admit if you read
    > BOTH of his very caustic emails to me yesterday that we are not suited to
    > work together. I would hope that you have another tech who would treat me
    > with respect. Please let me know.
    > Thank you, Jennifer
    He then replied with

Jennifer,

Per my previous communication with you, I do agree that the tone of
    the ticket reply was a bit over the top. If you have a future
    emergency issue and John is the available manager at the time, it is
    likely that he will have to respond. Otherwise, we can put it on hold
    and have it assigned to myself or another tech when convenient.

Best regards, Jeff

I did not feel that after this it would be possible for us to work together anymore after this. It was clear that my support would be greatly impacted with cutting John out of the mix. I therefore discussed the situation with my partner and my techs and came to the conclusion that we needed to move to another datacenter.I wrote to Jeff to explain things to him with the following

On 6/30/05, **** <****@****> wrote:
    >
    > Jeff,
    >
    > I have discussed the current situation with my partner. We are both in
    > agreement that we have been offended and continue to be with no form of
    > apology for the unprofessional actions of your employee.The current support
    > issues have also greatly influenced our decision. Due to this and the few
    > issues we have had with your company since we signed up we have decided not
    > to renue at the end of the month. We will be moving our sites off of your
    > server before the next payment is due on July 25. I am sorry that things
    > have not worked out between our two companys. Please email me with any
    > questions you may have.
    > Thank you,
    > Jennifer******
    To which he replied

Jennifer,

An apologize has been issued by myself two times this morning.
    If you choose to proceed with the cancelation, we will need 60 days
    notice per the Order Form that you submitted when purchasing. The
    request will need to be faxed to us at ***-***-****.

Best regards, Jeff
    I then replied with

On 6/30/05, **** <****@****> wrote:
    > I never ordered with an order form and therefore knew nothing of your
    > policy. Under the current situation we will be moving on at the end of the
    > month. If you remember correctly you set up the entire order along with a
    > man named shawn. You then gave me a place to login and make my payment.
    > Given the fact that we will not be receiving all the benefits of your
    > support team without John we have decided to go. In your emails earlier I
    > saw nothing of an apology other then that you though his emails were "a bit
    > over the top". Please try to understand that we feel that this is best for
    > everyone. I do not have access to a fax. But this is 30 days notice.
    > Thank you, Jennifer

He then replied

Jennifer,

We cannot continue to maintain service for a server without an order
    form. Since you have announced intent to leave (and presumably won't
    be faxing us an order form to make up for this lapse in our record
    keeping) we will be terminating your service and issuing a prorata
    refund.

Best regards, Jeff

I was of course shocked by this as it seemed very spiteful and unprofessional as at that time
    we had no place to go or our data. I replied to him with this

On 6/30/05, ******* <****@*****> wrote:
    > I will also not have access to a fax machine until tomorrow. I would hope
    > that you will allow us to get all of our data. Thank you

he then said

Jennifer,

You should have roughly 24 hours. I set it to be reallocated to
    Staminus' inventory, but Staminus has not processed that request. You
    have time, but please do not take it for granted.
    Best regards, Jeff

We were shocked by this and began franticly trying to remove our data from the server.
    This was already at 10:08 pm. We were in the middle of transfering data when at 12 noon the
    following day the server was terminated. We were once again shocked! Still waiting for our refund
    as well. Considering that the server was mostly unused for the time we had it.

I then attempted to get my refund which I feel was due at the time they rudely disconnected us.
    I wrote several emails to no reply. Today I finally contacted blacklotus support to try to get
    the money that was due to me.

These were the events of today

Jefff,

I have written to you a couple of times. I need for you to get ahold of me so that I know you
    are sending my paypal refund today. I MUST have this money returned. The refund and disconnection
    were your choice not mine. I will continue to try to contact you until i get a reply. Please send my
    money to ***@******* via www.paypal.com asap. Also, as I noted before you said we would have 24 hours
    to get our data and it was disconnected on us at noon yesterday instead. I do not feel that was fair at all.
    If you will simply refund my full payment for July I will not bother you any further.
    Thank you in advance, Jennifer
    I got this reply from their tech who was very nice

Dear Jennifer,
    Unfortunately, Mr Lyon is out of town until Tuesday.
    The only other person who has any access to the PayPal system is Mr **** and you have specifically requested that he not communicate with you in any way.
    I will assign this ticket to Mr Lyon and he will respond upon his return Tuesday.
    Thanks,
    --
    **** *****, Technical Support
    I then replied

Tuesday is far too long to wait for my refund. I am sure that you could
    contact mr john ****** and ask him to issue the refund. Please let me know.Thank
    you.
    He then again nicely wrote back

jennifer,

I am very sorry.
    I understand your situation.

However, Mr **** has been forbidden to have anything to do with your account. This was
    per your request.
    We will attemt to get in contact with Mr Lyon but he is out of town for the holiday.

Thanks,
    --
    **** ***, Technical Support
    I then was frustrated and wrote this reply

I understand what you are saying however. My request was to not have to work
    with Mr **** as a client. I am no longer a client and it is irrelivent who
    issues me a refund.I MUST have my money returned to me today. I do not have
    to have much interaction with him for him to issue the refund. I was told on
    Thursday night that I was going to be disconnected and have a refund
    issued. I HAVE to have this money in my paypal tonight. I suggest that
    somene at the company simply issue the refund .Since I am no longer a real
    client I see no reason that Mr. *** cannot push the button to send my
    money back! It is bad enough that your company disconnected us 12 hours
    early and cause us to lose data but now to get the run around about the
    refund that is rightfully mine is more then enough. I simply ask once again
    that it be issued to my paypal account of ***@****** Thank
    you in advance, I will wait for your reply that my refund is coming today.
    Best Regards,Jennifer

Then John wrote back to me with this very out of line email

Jennifer,

Now you have gone entirely too far. Insulting my technicians is unacceptable and I expect an apology from you for Mr ****.

You specifically requested I not contact you.
    Mr Lyon specifically instructed me to have nothing to do with your account.

I am trying to honor that request, but I will not stand by while you insult my technicians.

As for the 24 hours, we have no control over when staminus formats a drive. You were told you 'might' have 24 hours but that
    you should hurry and use the time wisely.

I have no access to issue refunds via paypal and I have no idea what amount Mr Lyon intends to refund.

Please do not communicate with us again except to apologize to Mr ****.

Mr Lyon will be in contact with you by Tuesday.

Have a nice weekend.

Regards,
    --

I find it outrageous that he demands that I apologise to a man whom I never even insulted but
    he cannot apologise to me for openly attacking me.

I replied with

I have read over my last reply and I have written nothing insulting your
    tech. I did not even insult your company openly. As for apoplogys you owed
    me one days ago. I will not contact this company again.

John then replied with this

Jennifer,

I have read over my ticket from days ago and I do not see where I insulted you openly.

Even still, I was unable to issue an apology, you forbade my communication.

Mr Lyon will be in contact.

I trust you will honor your word and not reply.

Regards,
    --

Then I decided to file a claim with paypal to get my full refund which I feel that I am
    entitled to.

Not too long after that I recieved this email

Jennifer,

I am currently out of town. I apologize that I did not get to the refund before I left.

I just tried to issue the refund via paypal, but there is a dispute lock on the payment and I cannot issue a refund.

If you will kindly remove the dispute then I can issue the refund.

Regards,
    --
    Jeffrey Lyon, President

to my dismay he deducted 30 dollars from the amount that I had paid. I find this to be unacceptable. I believe we were entitiled to the full amount we paid for this month.

I am writing here so that other people can see both sides of Blacklotus.
      0 Not allowed!

Jennifer, it looks like customer service isn't one of their strengths. Thakns for sharing your experiences.
      0 Not allowed!

If these emails are authentic, then this company has handled the situation very poorly. What they're doing is completely unprofessional, and I even sense a hint of spite in their email.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***
      0 Not allowed!

I am waiting to see what Black Lotus has to say before making any comment.
      0 Not allowed!

All I can say is... wow. That's... crazy.

I have to agree with bqinternet... provided the emails are authentic... ...

With vendors like these... who needs enemies?

You were never given a link to their TOS/AUP in the process of signing up with them?

Though the situation on their end is somewhat understandable, it was poorly handled in this case. Their tech entered into the situation that made you feel offended, which as a result made you not want to communicate with that tech.

Reputable companies will make compromises difficult situations, and this would definitely qualify as one.

I am sorry to hear about the troubles you have been having, and hope that, in the event that this is a 100% accurate depiction of the events, maybe Blacklotus will re-think how to handle their customers in this situation.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs
    Powered By JAM - Professional Website Development - PHP, MySQL, JavaScript, AJAX - Projects Small & Large
      0 Not allowed!

Webonce asked
    You were never given a link to their TOS/AUP in the process of signing up with them?
    Unfortunately I heard good things about them. I was going to use staminus but i needed cpanel and blacklotus was willing to give me cpanel.

I signed up with blacklotus via jeff through email. He set up the entire account in conjunction with another man named shawn. He then gave me a link to login and pay with paypal. If you can imagine with the dinix/whp situation we were in we were thrillled to find somone helpful to get us online as fast as possible. I truely do wish that this situation had resolved differently. However, I felt offended by their employee and then being terminated that way enough to post here. They may be a good company but my situation also shows the other side.

there is not even a tos on their website

http://www.blacklotus.net/
      0 Not allowed!

Wow, I'm bewilded. I think Jeff will have something to say about this. But John has been real rude or no quality.
      0 Not allowed!

Talk about an email history, Jennifer. I should be so organized.

But this whole charade rings strangely familiar. As they say - if you listen to those who have stopped using a service, you can get a WHOLE different side to any story - regardless of the praises you see by the same crowd time and time again.

Better luck with your next provider.
    Adam Lawson - AQORN
    OpenStack Professional Services. Commercial Support. Open-Source Cloud Management
    Official OpenStack Foundation Member & Corporate Sponsor
    Our Clients: AT&T | Cisco | Juniper | SAP | Autodesk | SUSE | Ubuntu
      0 Not allowed!

Well thats pretty sad. Jeff has always seemed to be a decent fellow from his posts but I think he is backing up a rogue employee too much. That being said, and no offense but thus far we have only your side of the story. When Blacklotus is available we can see his response, which if this is authentic should just be.

We are sorry, we messed up and here is the balance of your money.
    André Allen | E: aallen(a)linovus.ca
    Linovus Holdings Inc
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers & Public Cloud | USA, Canada & UK - 24x7x365 Support
      0 Not allowed!

Hm, you could go to staminus directly anyway, get external cpanel license or trustix cpanel.
      0 Not allowed!

I was half way into this and siding with blacklotus. With all due respect, I do tend to agree that some of you earier emails to them were laced with a demanding and entitled attitude. I see very often people be awfully rude to their providers and expect humble apologetic replies.

Try to look at it from their point of view, if theres nothing they can do there is no reason to yell at them.

Things changed at the point where they told you they were going to terminate your server right away. That was ABSURDLY SPITEFUL I couldnt believe it. I can imagine they were very frustrated but that was sooo unprofessional! And then the OBVIOUSLY deliberate BS about "well you told us you didnt want to speak with him, so he cant give you a refund!" Comon... they were clearly trying to get revenge.

And then not giving you the 30$ - more petty vengence

I personally think they need to refund ALL of your money and leave it at that.

I do, however, believe that customers should be respectful and curtious of their hosts, and then they can expect the same treatment in return.
      0 Not allowed!

Yes, flameboy, I think at the point where this was the third time that this happend in a month with no warning I did demand that it be fixed as the second outage had lasted 21 hours and at the end of that ticket I was assured that the real liscence would be in effect from that point on. Therefore, I was under the assumption that the company had taken care of it on their end. It was greatly effecting my small business.

I do not feel that I was rude, I was very understanding when things were explained and the subject was dropped and the ticket closed. After that is where their employee allowed his person feelings to overshow the professional job he needed to do. As a paying customer I expect that things will work or be fixed quickly if possible.
    Last edited by jennifer2; 07-02-2005 at 11:27 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm not sure how to respond. In fact, I'm not even sure I should respond.

First of all, I was unprofessional and I apologize to everyone for that.

My conduct in the final few email communications between her and I was wrong. I allowed her endless stream of gripes, whines and unreasonable demands (which she forgot to post) to finally goad me into an unprofessional response. I accept full responsibility for that.

For the record, the cpanel issue was as much of a suprise to us as it was to her. We had no idea that our vendor had not properly transferred the licenses. As soon as I was aware that the licenses were disabled, I reported it to our vendor and gave them time to solve it. When I saw they were not solving it, I went directly to the cpanel website and activated a temporary license for her server. (I find it interesting, that she left out the countless hours I spent working on getting the cpanel license restored and the numerous communications I sent her keeping her up to date on the progress.)

As to her refund, Mr Lyon can address it specifically. But, she received a FULL refund for ALL of her unused service period.

I will not get into a mud slinging contest and debate each of her claims. There was (and is) clearly a personality conflict between us and I handled my side poorly.

Regards,
    John Blazek
    Auroralink Communications
    Shell & Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

I allowed her endless stream of gripes, whines and unreasonable demands (which she forgot to post) to finally goad me into an unprofessional response.

In reply to you. I did not post the other cpanel tickets (email replies) as that was before the big problem started. I did however say that you all did resolve them and that was why I became so upset about the 3rd time it went down. I could however, if needed post all the tickets we had with your company. I find that to be useless unless needed by someone to see that the other communications went well for the most part. Had I done this the post would have been 2 pages long in and of itself.
    My only tickets with you were about the following issues as the titles

1: 3 months ago server down?
    2: 3 months ago request
    3: 3 months ago apache down?
    4: 2 months ago billing issue ( discussed in my first post)
    5: 2 months ago billing question?
    6: 1 month ago server down?
    7: 1 month ago billing issue
    8: 1 month ago server issue
    9: 1 month ago server down again
    10: 1 month ago once again our server is down ?
    11: 3 weeks ago cpanel issue urgent
    12: 3 weeks ago cpanel issue urgent #2
    13: 5 days ago server payment
    14: 4 days ago our cpanels are gone again. 3 times now!!!
    15: 3 months ago backups?

as I said i can post each ticket from start to end if needed. I keep meticulous records.
      0 Not allowed!

edit took longer than 15 minutes. board would not allow saved edit.

My conduct in the final few email communications between her and I was wrong. I allowed her endless stream of gripes, whines and unreasonable demands (which she forgot to post) to finally goad me into an unprofessional response. I accept full responsibility for that.

For the record, the cpanel issue was as much of a suprise to us as it was to her. We had no idea that our vendor had not properly transferred the licenses. As soon as I was aware that the licenses were disabled, I reported it to our vendor and gave them time to solve it. When I saw they were not solving it, I went directly to the cpanel website and activated a temporary license for her server. (I find it interesting, that she left out the countless hours I spent working on getting the cpanel license restored and the numerous communications I sent her keeping her up to date on the progress.)

The point at which I finally lost my patience with her was when she demanded we compensate her for cpanel down time, claming we 'owed' her compensation. Downtime for which we were not responsible and for which we had absolutely no control. Then, in the interest of good customer relations, when I got her full cpanel fee refunded, she didnt have the courtesy to acknowledge my communication. I had gone above and beyond and bent over backwards to help get her back online. I had spent hours of my personal unpaid time to help her. I had gone to bat for her with Mr Lyon and gotten a FULL refund of her cpanel payment, even though she was offline less than 24 hours total. I waited 5 days and sent another email asking if she had received my first one. Only then did she offhandedly say 'oh i thought i had responded, thanks'.

I was offended and I let it color my future responses to her. I was wrong and I apologize.

As to her refund, Mr Lyon can address it specifically. But, she received a FULL refund for ALL of her unused service period.

I will not get into a mud slinging contest and debate each of her claims. There was (and is) clearly a personality conflict between us and I handled my side poorly.

Regards,
    John Blazek
    Auroralink Communications
    Shell & Web Hosting
      0 Not allowed!

I waited 5 days and sent another email asking if she had received my first one. Only then did she offhandedly say 'oh i thought i had responded, thanks'.
    this is ACTUALLY what I wrote to him

I am very sorry. I thought that I had responded. Thank you very much for the
    credit to our account. I truely appreciate your efforts.
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: "Jennifer ****" <***@****>
    Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2005 10:38 AM
    Subject: Re: [#12507] cpanel issue urgent # 2

> Jennifer,
    >
    > Did you receive my communications from 5 days ago?
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > John ****, Technical Support
      0 Not allowed!

Re: edit took longer than 15 minutes. board would not allow saved edit.

Originally posted by DiverGuy

I would like to aplaud you for owning up to that publicly. That takes a lot of guts.

Not to belittle this, but I think the thing we are most interested in is Mr. Lyon's immediate cancelation of her server. Expecailly as the client was not provided (as she says, feel free to prove otherwise) a TOS/AUP stating any cancelation "at will" was possible. I personally feel that even with the worst of clients, such action is reckless, and does not speak well for one's company.

I would be very interested in hearing Mr. Lyon's side of this story when he returns on Tuesday, and why he felt this individual deserved such measures taken against them.

Keep in mind, I am not badgering your business, but only asking what I believe, the sensable questions would be here, and giving ample opertunity for Blacklotus to respond to, what I feel, are the most problematic parts of this situation.
    Jacob - WebOnce Technologies - 30 Day 100% Satisfaction Guarantee - Over 5 Years Going Strong!
    Website Hosting, PHP4&5, RoR, MySQL 5.0, Reseller Hosting, Development, and Designs