Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the Contest

the Contest

We'd like to have a contest for the Community.

Whether it be monthly, quarterly, yearly, or some otherly . . .

This thread is to gain member's suggestions on what you'd like to see and participate in.

We can talk about prizes; et. al. after we figure out a contest.

Got your coffee ready?

Let's talk . . .
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Do you mean an online contest, like guessing something?
    • AussieHost.com • Aussie Bob, host since 2001 •
    • Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!! •

We're open to anything.

But yes; it would be on line. Here; at WHT. Hopefully something involving WebHostingTalk.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Contest for best article or tutorial would be good and it would add something to the community.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    We're open to anything.
    How about a spelling contest?

Originally posted by Aussie Bob

I kind of like the idea of best tutorial... I think that would provide some significant value to the community.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Originally posted by sirius
    . . . I kind of like the idea of best tutorial... I think that would provide some significant value to the community.
    I dunno. That sounds a bit unfun, if that is a word.

Maybe a limerick writing contest, where you have to incorporate aspects of WHT into your limerick. Folks could submit their limericks, and a handful could be chosen, and then a winner could be voted on. That could be quite interesting, and provide some humor too.

What about a writing contest on how much an impact WHT had on your hosting business? For the worse, or the better, then there would be community voting to decide who would win.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

I dunno. That sounds a bit unfun, if that is a word.

Maybe a limerick writing contest, where you have to incorporate aspects of WHT into your limerick. Folks could submit their limericks, and a handful could be chosen, and then a winner could be voted on. That could be quite interesting, and provide some humor too.
    How about writing a tutorial via a limerick?

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Bring back MOTM, and give the winner a premium membership, or community guide status.

Originally posted by mikeylove
    Bring back MOTM, and give the winner a premium membership, or community guide status.

I think you are well aware of why MOTM won't be brought back.

Maybe a limerick writing contest...
    There once was a member called Dennis
    whose job was to chase off the menace
    His hours are long
    but his message is strong
    Don't mess with Mousey, you loser!!!

(Hey, I couldn't find another word to rhyme with Dennis... )

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

I think you are well aware of why MOTM won't be brought back.
    I'm not.

I'm not.
    Invariably, it ends up being a popularity contest. Kinda loses the effect.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Invariably, it ends up being a popularity contest. Kinda loses the effect.
    That really applies to any kind of contest.

More so with MOTM. It got really silly after a while. Personally, I suggest Post Of The Month as an alternate. I think that would work.

Vito

Post of the Month and Member of the Year sound good to me.

Post of the month does sound OK.

It might be just me, but I think it is possible that the same kind of contest run repeatedly might lose its fun and novelty factors along the way. It's flaws might become more easily apparent as well.

Maybe we simply need a contest. Today it can be "Post of the month", next time "Member of the year", next time "WHT mascot", "Sexiest spouse", "Ugliest pet", "Most attractive hosting company office", "Jokes contest", "Most embarasing moment in your life" etc.

In fact, the first contest could be "The best set of future contests ideas".

Maybe we should set like a random post anywhere on the forum, and the winner would win something cool. Well, it would be neat competitive anyway.

One of the prizes could be a premie membership or a t-shirt/mouse pad combo.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

More so with MOTM. It got really silly after a while. Personally, I suggest Post Of The Month as an alternate. I think that would work.
    If a position of authority were up for grabs, people would take it more seriously.

Getting back to the popularity contest comment, I think the most popular people on these forums are those who provide the best posts. And, they really should be elidgable.

Post of the Month, or Member of the month sounds just fine. Provide premium memberships, advertising bucks, wht merch, and junk like that for winners.

Perhaps winners could be given an "award winning" pip or avatar, Or even a custom user title style.

If a position of authority were up for grabs, people would take it more seriously.
    You can't win a "position of authority", and anyone seeking such, really needs to ask themself why is it they seek such.

If you really want to get people's attention, then a cash prize is always well received. I'm sure INET could spare a few hundred bucks/mth for some kind of prize, for their forum.

I would think a scavenger hunt would be kind of fun. Take and put 20 posts (each with different fake replies and whatnot) hidden throughout the forum. Hide them by date as well so that they don't all show up at the very top of the list because that would ruin the fun. Then give a list of clues to each post and have everybody try and figure out which posts they were.

To make it a bit easier you could just use exisitng threads if you really wanted to. It would be a lot of fun. As a kicker you could give the total of all the post ids added up so people would know if they found the right set of posts or not (at least the odds would be small that they found another set with the wrong number).
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

How about a "wittiest signature" contest. It would also help to keep advertising out of signatures for a while.

Jord
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Confucius

I like the ugliest pet contest I would put up a picture of one of my colleagues

On a serious note, WHT needs some "dynamism". As odd as it might seem, WHT has become much more than just a forum. It's a fully matured community. A community must be entertained, kept interested. It's "client support 1-0-1". After all, we're all the clients of WHT.

Contests are just the tip of the iceberg, but it's a good start.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Whatever the contest ends up being, IMO, it should be something accessible to all members and not just the WHT elite.

ex: no member of the ______

How about a contest on a solution that would eliminate the desire of 12-year olds with no spelling skills to venture in web hosting. In the past 6-8 months I have seen a flood of youngsters at WHT, all wanting to start their own companies without the slightest idea what it actually takes to manage one.

Whatever contest you decide on, please make sure it contributes to increasing the industry standards.

How about a whole series of serious business-minded contests that would not only be beneficial (educational) to everyone, but would promote business done intelligently. Ex.: business plan contest.

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Originally posted by Artashes
    How about a contest on a solution that would eliminate the desire of 12-year olds with no spelling skills to venture in web hosting. In the past 6-8 months I have seen a flood of youngsters at WHT, all wanting to start their own companies without the slightest idea what it actually takes to manage one.

Whatever contest you decide on, please make sure it contributes to increasing the industry standards.

How about a whole series of serious business-minded contests that would not only be beneficial (educational) to everyone, but would promote business done intelligently. Ex.: business plan contest.

Best,
    ......that gets my vote
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by elix
    ......that gets my vote
    That gets my vote as well.

Oh wait... that was me.

*quickly calls his family doctor*
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

I am with blue on best article or tutorial. Good and adds value to the community. I would not run it more often then every 3 months, however.

How about a 10 question quiz based on hosting general knowledge. The person that answers it right in the shortest time wins.

A nice little visual trophey for the winner
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Originally posted by effusionx1
    How about a "wittiest signature" contest. It would also help to keep advertising out of signatures for a while.
    I like this one.

I also like Artashes' idea of "a whole series of serious business-minded contests," and the best tutorial idea.

Putting all the ideas together, I like Dan's suggestion of having a different contest every month.

There is no best contest, only the contest that's best for you.

Lois
    Do you have a WHT question or concern? Please open a helpdesk ticket.

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have." – Theodore Roosevelt

Contests for best tutorials, articles and members of the month or serious business minded ideas are out of fashion and not related with Web Hosting "Talk".

What I propose is a contest like, one that would give us the top five or ten web hosts (in no particular order.. as I believe that there is no "best" web host). Or,

A contest that lists out the five main contributors (companies or individuals or forums??) to the Web Hosting Industry as of 2004. Or,

A contest that would ask contestants the top five innovative ideas (business or tech or strategic??) that could benefit the web hosting industry.

Or any other contest that would give equal opportunity to all WHT members.. What I mean to say here is that, we should have a contest wherein everybody is eligible.. Trust me nowadays you can't say if a 13 year old has better business ideas or a 63 year old executive.

We at web hosting Talk are talking about the web hosting industry so the contest should be one that would chalk out something beneficial for the web hosting industry and would be open for all, equally. In tutorial and article contests writers would definitely get the edge and in "a whole series of serious business-minded contests" WHT members in the management field would get an edge as thats a part of their daily routine job.

my two cents..
    Vishnu
    Last edited by experiencedwriter; 07-13-2005 at 03:26 AM.
    Articles, Blog Posts, Content Development and Copy Writing
    Skype me or Please send a PM for Contact Information

In the great words of Ralph on the Simpons.

"Me fail english, thats unpossible!"

Hurkde en fonix wurkde for mi gud.

Just my funny tid bit

--------

I vote for the Tutorial idea. It'd be really nice in here to see people post more than 2 sentences.

How about most constructive member...

Rather than just the best pot etc see which member has continiously posted helpful and knowladgeable replies to people asking questions.

The mods could stay on the look out, and then they see a constructive post they make a note of who wrote it.

At the end of each month the person who has posted the most constructive posts wins.

When i say constructive i mean if someone asks how do i choose a new car, another person would explain how to look at the budget, their needs, good resources, what to check when buying a car etc etc. The whole 9 yards, rather than just someone that says seearch google.

Does that make sense?

It would do a few things.

It would increace the quality of replies on WHT
    It would encourage people with knowladge to share it
    It would help out the newbies more (we where all one once)
    It would be hard for people to put each other down with it, as the mods would be the ones looking.
    Note to self: Add something funny!
    Search is your friend!

Originally posted by ldcdc
    "Sexiest spouse"
    How about sexiest girlfriend? haha jk.

I totally agree a repeated contest would lose it's importance. Some contest that changes constantly.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

How about sexiest girlfriend?
    Hahaha! Like we don't know you have a candidate ready for that contest.

i really like the best tutorial contest idea. And absolutely anybody can judge that has some time to play with the tutorials submitted and a poll.

(When i think *tutorial*, i think graphics. So i'm basing my opinion on that. It may be difficult to find a tutorial idea that the majority of the general public can participate.)
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

I couldn't agree better Gina. You got to find a tutorial that almost anyone can participate in that wants to. There are a few very talented designers on WHT, but I don't believe the majority of us are, which would limit the contest very much. TAZ (TheAdminZone) recently had a very good article contest, and it went very smoothly, there wasn't many regulations, you could write about almost anything, naturally the subject of TAZ, majority was about administrating a community. I think WHT could do tutorials on different aspects of hosting. Those who are designers, can write about a tutorial on the designing aspect of web hosting, and programmers, programming aspect and so on and so forth. Just a good idea IMHO
    Last edited by Tyler; 07-24-2005 at 03:21 PM.
    Tyler Cole
    Eeek, a Blog

I know Tyler. Ya cant please 'em all. But the contest can change every few months, so eventually, you can please almost everyone!

my vote is for the tutorial contest idea.
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast