Lightbulb CPanel & Utilizing FTP Services...

Hello;

We're in the process of settling on a VPS provider. Based on the feedback from these forums and many others, we're choosing CPanel over PLESK for our control panel.

Now it looks like for the most part, the various VPS providers integrate FTP services within CPanel and they use either Pure-FTP or Pro-FTP.

Is one better than the other?

Also, other questions;

I know we'll get unlimited FTP accounts.

However this is what I want:

* If my storage is let's say 25GB on the VPS, I want to manage it wisely.

* There for what I want is to have let's say one Primary Directory, with various sub-directories that contain files with in the Primary Directory.

* I want to be able to create, let's say 500 FTP Logins (Username & Password)...and based on their username/password, I can set permissions for the user to see only the specific folders I want them to see.

* I also want them to have read only access for all folders, except r/w for the folders that I specify only.

This way, I don't have to give each username/password login user their own folder and thereby having to copy/replicate the same files/folders in their directory...which means my storage will fill up pretty darn quick.

Any suggestions?

J.

Re: CPanel & Utilizing FTP Services...

Originally posted by espinozj
    Is one better than the other?
    No they're the same

* There for what I want is to have let's say one Primary Directory, with various sub-directories that contain files with in the Primary Directory.
    That isn't possible in cPanel.

* I want to be able to create, let's say 500 FTP Logins (Username & Password)...and based on their username/password, I can set permissions for the user to see only the specific folders I want them to see.
    You can't assign permissions. You can only assign *a* directory which has all permissions enabled.

* I also want them to have read only access for all folders, except r/w for the folders that I specify only.
    Sorry, isn't possible in cPanel.

Mini

Hello;

Thanks for the input! A few more questions:

* Is it possible to do what I want OUTSIDE of CPanel? Like through some other means?

* Can I possibly do the same thing with .htaccess protected directories and just have them read/download only, no uploading?

* Meaning, give login users different permission to see/access different directories?

* But instead of replicating those directories in their own folder, there can be just one location...and in the .htaccess passwd file I enter the username/password of the users I want to give read access to?

Thanks,

J.

Hello;

Also, I know that PLESK and CPanel allow the easy "point and click" to password protect directories, but I wonder if one control panel has more features than the other as far as .htaccess and stuff are concerned.