Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Owner of my webhost is below 18, what to do?

I have been a client of aeserver.com since june 2005.

I visited this forums recently & performed a search on aeserver as many of the people do to find the reputation of a webhsot.

In on of the post under running a WH business I found out that the owner of aeserver is 15 years old.

Now iam scared what can happen? Should i remain with him? Actually I never had problems with them, I used the support ticket as i remember only once, that is during my sign up because there was a problem with their ssl, but he got it fixed the next day.

Iam not sure if iam going to leave aeserver (him), if many of you will complain & tell me that they offer bad service iam afraid i will have to leave & find a better post.

The site is aeserver.com the owner as I understood is Munir B.

I need urgent advices.
      0 Not allowed!

Hi, rockersrock

All I can tell you if you like his service and you have no problems at all why move. You know I know couple of young kids that started ther own online business young and now they turned out to be a big company. If they treat you right. I say why not..

By the way how long have you been with them?
      0 Not allowed!

I don't think the age should matter. Most young people are very talent and are capable of running a webhosting company.
    He will treat you right to keep his customer.

Word of advice: Never prepaid for a year of webhosting with any web hosting compaayn
      0 Not allowed!

Sorry I said that i was with them since june, actually its from middle of may 2005.

Thank you people you encouraged me to stay with him. i really trust him & want to host more sites with him.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with the above posters, but just keep in mind: In the US, minors can not enter into binding contracts by themselves. This would probably be an important consideration if you run a business.
    SolidState - Open Source Billing Solution for Web Hosts
      0 Not allowed!

As long as you're happy with the service, who cares how old the owner is? There are plenty of 15 year-olds that know a lot more than 30 year-olds...
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ
      0 Not allowed!

If you're worried leave. If they provide a decent service and your site isn't so important you need legal protection ie a contract then I see no reason why staying would harm you.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Owner of my webhost is below 18, what to do?

Originally posted by rockersrock
    I have been a client of aeserver.com since june 2005.

I visited this forums recently & performed a search on aeserver as many of the people do to find the reputation of a webhsot.

In on of the post under running a WH business I found out that the owner of aeserver is 15 years old.

Now iam scared what can happen? Should i remain with him? Actually I never had problems with them, I used the support ticket as i remember only once, that is during my sign up because there was a problem with their ssl, but he got it fixed the next day.

Iam not sure if iam going to leave aeserver (him), if many of you will complain & tell me that they offer bad service iam afraid i will have to leave & find a better post.

The site is aeserver.com the owner as I understood is Munir B.

I need urgent advices.
    It depends on what sort of operation you are running. Are you running a website for your business? Ask questions to him and see who manages his servers. If it is him who is managing and securing his servers, does he have the knowledge, credibility, training and qualification to do so? Is he doing so at the expense of your business operation? If it would calm your nerves to move to another host, then do so. If you are just running a personal web site or what not, it might not be so much of a problem. Being with a web host since May of 2005 isn't all that long. How long has he been in business and is the possibility of him being there for another year or two seemingly possible?
    Small Business Web Hosting with DOT45
    24/7/365 Technical Support; Windows Shared Environment; ColdFusion MX, ASP.NET, PHP, MS SQL, MySQL, Online Store Software, SiteBuilder, Secure Webmail via IlohaMail
      0 Not allowed!

If you aren't having any problems with the service, then I don't see any reason for you to switch hosts. As some of the posts above mentioned, there maybe some legal issues due to his age, but that would vary from country to country. Just make sure you do regular backups just incase this is any idea he came up with in the school holidays and he forgets about it when schools starts again.
    TJR Networks - Quality web hosting for everyday people...
      0 Not allowed!

I also agree with most opinions given. Age shouldn't matter, your judgement should be based on the performance of the company, and management abilities. As aixagent said, it also depends on what type of operation it is (servers, colocation, web hosting etc). Hensing that server is in the name, I am assuming he sales servers, which I would think he is reselling, which is 'ok' as he really wouldn't be administering your server if you do in fact have a server with him.

Overall, your judgement should be based off how you feel the company's performance is.
    ColoInSeattle - From 1U to cage space colocation in Seattle
    ServerStadium - Affordable Dedicated Servers
    Come visit our 18k sq ft. facility in Seattle!
    Managed Private Cloud | Colocation | Disaster Recovery | Dedicated Servers
      0 Not allowed!

It all comes down to one main point that should be the backbone of all of your decisions. Do you trust him? I don't care if the owner of the company I buy through is 13 or 30, if I don't trust him ... why would I be with him?

Trust is the backbone of any business relationship, it is what decides whether you will be with them for days or years. It's the deciding factor for if you will refer friends to them or not. It is what every business relationship depends on.

So basically my bottom line is, do you trust him?
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management Search Engine Optimization Pay Per Click Email Marketing
      0 Not allowed!

Well, what happens when he goes to school and the servers crash?

I don't mind seeing younger people managing hosting businesses.. Infact some of them are pretty smart and can come up with good ideas. but they really should be backed up by a team or an adult for them to run a hosting business

Hosting is no joke really.. You are hosting the livelihood of many people
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
      0 Not allowed!

In the US, minors can't legally enter into a contract. If this is the case with your arrangement, then you'll have to ask yourself if you're comfortable with the fact that your host has absolutely no accountability if things go wrong.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by rockersrock
    Sorry I said that i was with them since june, actually its from middle of may 2005.

Thank you people you encouraged me to stay with him. i really trust him & want to host more sites with him.
    You changed your mind quick enough.... "i really trust him & want to host more sites with him".

Sounds weird to me.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Yash-JH
    Well, what happens when he goes to school and the servers crash?
    What happens when a middle-aged person goes to work?
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ
      0 Not allowed!

I think both are valid questions and should be asked, before you sign up with a host. If it matters to you, find out if your host is a one-man (or woman) company with a contingency plan...should that person not be available in an emergency.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)
      0 Not allowed!

Regardless if the minor has to go to work or to school, they can always hire customer support representatives to do tasks while he/she is absent. Although they are a minor, you can never say they arn't earning good profit to pay customer support.

Like said before, judgements should be based off performance. If tickets are being answered in a timely matter, then there is no reason to start worrying now just because you find out that the owner is a minor.

Also Tina, the minor can always have a guardian / parent to co-sign on contracts to make it legit, and the parent can also file for a LLC or Incorporate for the minor, so there's your alternative.
      0 Not allowed!

There are a lot of under age people running hosting companies. The problem is, you cannot legally enter into any type of an agreement with them. Plus they control the power. For example, if they decide to shut down their servers or close the company, nothing you can do. They can easily do that and no recourse.

I would locate a hosting company that is owned by someone at least 18 years of age. We used Hostway for years and was very happy with their services.

There is just way too many things that can go wrong with someone under 18 running a business. That is why we have all these laws in the United States
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by BaselineAce
    What happens when a middle-aged person goes to work?
    A real web hosting company has its own employees and they run 24*7.

It makes me laugh to see people here talking as if they actually run a web hosting business, when infact, they are mostly just reselling someone elses product.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by gavingreen
    A real web hosting company has its own employees and they run 24*7.

It makes me laugh to see people here talking as if they actually run a web hosting business, when infact, they are mostly just reselling someone elses product.
    Actually, it is optional for a company to run 24/7, it's not a requirement, and is more an optional addon to a company. As well, resellers do not resell someone elses product. They buy space and bandwidth and create their own plans if you are referring to reseller accounts.
      0 Not allowed!

Honestly his age should not matter as many under 18 kids have started successful businesses on the net. Take Polsteins for example, the kid was around 15 also when he started it and now it is doing 2 million a year. Then you could find multitudes of sites that have come and gone that were run by successful business people that were much older that have failed. Age is not a good factor of whether that business will succeed, but the attitude and determination and the ability to stay focused on the project they have started and to see it thru to the ultimate goal. So if you are with a well run host, dont change based on the owners age.
    Hostnetric.com - Specializing in web hosting for small business owners.
    Cheap SSL Certificates - Low cost SSL Certificate Solutions.
      0 Not allowed!

TheNetCode is correct, it's not about age - but it is about credibility and substance.

Has the 15 year old invested several million pounds in his facility and marketing? Probably not, but neither have any resellers.

If you want a reliable host, then you need to use a genuine hosting company with assets, staff, infrastructure and financial backing.
      0 Not allowed!

What company does 'Polsteins' own, or is that the company?
      0 Not allowed!

Polsteins.com is the name and the original company was started by the parents and is a hardware store. He took it and put on the net by himself and built it from there. I read the original article in Forbes just a few months ago and was amazed at what he has done at such a young age. So the lesson is dont judge a business by the age of the owners, judge them by the end product and service they provide.
      0 Not allowed!

15 is a VERY low age to be the owner of a hosting company, if he is the only one in charge it makes you think if everything is being done legally. I am sure everything is alright but it would be wise to check up on him :-D
    Phlint! Web Media [http://phlint.com]
    [email protected]
      0 Not allowed!

What happens when his Mom or Dad shut off his access to their credit card? And he can't pay his bills?

At 15 he doesn't have business-level control of the essential elements of the operation.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.
      0 Not allowed!

More than likely, they arn't using a parents credit card, but probably a bank account. And I am not sure how he/she would not be able to pay bills just because a credit card is shut off, as regardless you should be making enough money from the customers you have to pay bills.
      0 Not allowed!

aeserver.com appear to be located in United Arab Emirates. That's probably a good reason in itself not to use them unless you are located in that country.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by gavingreen
    aeserver.com appear to be located in United Arab Emirates. That's probably a good reason in itself not to use them unless you are located in that country.
    Why do you say that, Where are the servers located?
    -Nap
      0 Not allowed!

What if his parents ground him and he can't use the internet
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by The Napster
    Why do you say that, Where are the servers located?
    -Nap
    Nap, I think their servers are located in the USA, which is fine.

But my point is this - if you run a business in Europe or the USA, you would be much better off using a hosting company who has offices in Europe or the USA.

Also, if you have any legal problems with a host, it's best to be located in the same country so that you are both operating under the same legal system.
      0 Not allowed!

Good point Hes right if some issue does arrise its good to have that extra piece of mind knowing he has to follow the same law as you.
    Legally in the UAE he may be able to operate a bussiness on his own at 15.

What if his parents ground him and he can't use the internet
    If hes churning in a few bucks extra a month for them they wont do that
      0 Not allowed!

Gavin now that is good advice as you all know that the laws in other countries are not the same as here and they tend to not always fall in favor of those that are foreigners. His age though should have nothing to do with his ability to run a business and if he is running it and it looks like for sometime now than his parents are most definitely aware and involved in the operation of the business. No self respecting parent is going to allow their child to run a business on this scope without some kind of guidance.
      0 Not allowed!

I dont believe that my dream came true. My customers started posting in WHT. WOW thank you god.

Dear all poster,

I want to make somethings clear here as many of the posters did not agree for a 15 year old guy running a company.

Iam 15, I started into webistes stuff in 2003, when I was 13. First I runned premium mobile downloads site. In 2004 I was thinking of making a webhosting company & looked for sponsors, NO one agreed, what I have done is that I started it alone!

Yes, I do resell hosting, but I pay alot for that to support all the needs of my current customers.

When ever iam at school, I have my smartphone with me to check mail, actaully I rarly receive any mail since all my hosting is managed by the actual company from who I resell.

Some one sayd about paying the bills, well I have my OWN credit card which my dad usually reloads, he is happy for what Iam doing & there was never a situation when my internet access was cutoff.

I really dont know why many of you think like this, a 15 year old guy cant have a company... we cant trust him.....etc.

Iam the prove. I have been in business since 2003 & will never stop.
    If the support is excellent, the website is up all the time, why should one worry what age am I.

If a contrat is required to be signed, my parents are always upto this!

Thanks for your support people.
    AESERVER UAE Hosting & Domains [www.aeserver.com]
    United Arab Emirates' Premier Webhosting & Domain Name Registrar.
    ae Domain Administration (aeDA.ae) accredited registrar | Register your .ae today!
      0 Not allowed!

I am glad that you are taking such an attitude to responsibility at your age. Takes alot of courage and focus to maintain a business of any type and any time that I see a person of your age doing so that is a sign that you are going somewhere in your life. Good luck and best wishes.
      0 Not allowed!

36. well i would stay with him... if you dont have any big problems over the next year... considering the fact that i host my dads site's and my site's and my freinds site's and i just turned 14. i have been doing it since last summer.

FYI: I do all my hosting on my own server. And i also have a smrt phone which allows my to get email, and fix server issues using remote durring school.

STAY WITH YOUR HOSTER!!!!

Thanks,
    Alden Gleason
    Last edited by adminwebserver; 07-02-2005 at 02:59 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Created: 2005-04-06
    Expires: 2006-04-06

I don't think you have been in business since 2003 buddy. More like a couple months ago unless you had another company.

Also, just so you know, most people who posted on this thread said it has nothing to do with age, but of how the company is ran. No one here say's a 15 year old cannot run a good company which you seem to be claiming.
      0 Not allowed!

Irregardless of when he started his business, all that matters is how he runs his business and if he takes care of his customers. That should always be your major concern. Age is not a factor and if you are using a reseller program than most of your work is being done for you. And customer service is not going to be much of an issue. So if you take care of your customers and stay on top of your business than you will be able to be successful.
      0 Not allowed!

To TheNetway

My previous post

In 2004 I was thinking of making a webhosting company & looked for sponsors, NO one agreed, what I have done is that I started it alone!
    I think you have a problem in understanding what I said. I had Mobile downloads business in 2003
    AESERVER UAE Hosting & Domains [www.aeserver.com]
    United Arab Emirates' Premier Webhosting & Domain Name Registrar.
    ae Domain Administration (aeDA.ae) accredited registrar | Register your .ae today!
      0 Not allowed!

When you said "I have been in business" that signaled to me that the company you are doing now is what you were specifying. In the future, please be more specific.

Good luck with your company though
    Last edited by VN-Ken; 07-02-2005 at 03:24 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast