Steadfast Networks - Review

About a month ago (early June) I ordered a Virtual Private Server (Plesk Bronze Package) with Steadfast Networks.
    My start with them was very shakey, and I came close to just saying forget it a couple of times, but now things have changed.
    Their support is excellent. I just submitted a ticket about Reverse DNS and was answered in about 5 minutes. So here goes...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steadfast Networks 1 Month Review

Sales: 7/10
    It took a very long time for them to setup my server due to internet connectivity problems in their offices. However, their live chat was very helpful and my server finally came up. Plus, I got my first month free as part of a WHT promotion.

Support 10/10
    Most issues answered within an hour, some answered as quickly as 5 minutes. With old hosts I had to worry about being able to "catch them at the right time". With Steadfast, its no problem. Plus their support staff are always friendly.

Network: 8/10
    There were some network blips here and there, but everything so far has been great. I upload at almost 200 KB/S too, which is a plus.

Server: 6/10
    The server has worked very well so far. The only problems have been when the server has been first set up (which happened twice), where I could not use the control panel due to errors.
    However, both times the errors were fixed very quickly.

Finally, I wanted to share something that Steadfast did for me a week ago.
    I finally got fed up with Plesk and sent in a support ticket asking them about a possible switch to Cpanel. They helped me through the entire thing. They even setup a second VPS for me so I could move all my stuff onto the new VPS and use Cpanel. I had expected it to take months before I could get the Cpanel VPS, and I expected it to cost me, but they did it in a week with no fees!

I definatly reccomend Steadfast Networks.

Thanks for the review, but make sure you give us another review after 3-4 months of using their services.

Yeah, you cought us at a very bad time with your order, right when we were in the middle of a sales/support office move that just wasn't going right. I can tell you everything has been smoothed out since then now that we're settled in.

I definitely appreciate your recommendation.
    Karl Zimmerman - Steadfast: Managed Dedicated Servers and Premium Colocation
    karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

No problem. You all have earned it.

Here we go, continuing the review...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steadfast Networks 7 Month Review

Sales/Billing: 8/10
    I have had a few billing issues in the past 7 months with Steadfast. Firstly, I recieved a $100 charge on my credit card for my server after 3 months. I immediatly submitted a support ticket, and got a response in about 30 minutes, and everything was solved (my mistake, not theirs). The second issue was an email I recieved saying I owed payment on my server. Turned out to be an invoice, but it wasn't labeled very well, and startled me. Another support ticket, and all cleared up!

Support 9/10
    Steadfast's support continues to impress, althought some response times can take awhile (1 hour to 1.5 hours). This can be a long time for a managed VPS, but I havn't had too many troubles yet (knock on wood).

Network: 7/10
    I have on some occasions (2 that I remember) experienced bad packet loss on the Steadfast Network (which doesn't hurt my websites, it just hurts my voice servers). There have also been small network blips, but all in all if my VPS could handle it, I would put game servers on it .

Server: 7/10
    The hardware for the server seems to be pretty good. I have not had any downtime and have been able to burst pretty well (a little over my guaranteed minimum). There has been alot of downtime, due mostly to Virtuozzo updates, but the server has never been down for more than 1 hour.

All in all, Steadfast continues to impress me (after 7 months, thats pretty good!). I hope to continue my stay there.

Steadfast has the best support i've ever seen. They'll even talk to you on AIM and help you solve your problems.
    :|

We just bought a 125 mb/s server with steadfast. First week has been great, lets hope it holds!

Steadfast's sales department has one of the poorest response times that I've ever seen.

Just tried to order from them, 48 hours later still no VPS. Also told me too late that they're not offering DirectAdmin for a control panel.

Poor billing too. No payment gateway it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by mukamo
    Steadfast's sales department has one of the poorest response times that I've ever seen.

Just tried to order from them, 48 hours later still no VPS. Also told me too late that they're not offering DirectAdmin for a control panel.

The delay on your account was because we are no longer supporting DirectAdmin on VPS accounts. I had been looking into seeing whether we could still get it installed for you, etc. Also, the ticket you submitted was answered in just a matter of hours, even though it was created well outside of the sales office's business hours. Note: I do acknowledge that we could have responded to your initial order more quickly, but we had just made the decision to stop offering DirectAdmin, and I wanted to wait to respond until I was certain as to the response.

Also, we manually filter all VPS and dedicated hosting orders before sending them to the payment gateway. This allows us to check for fraudulant orders, allows us to make sure discounts/extras are properly charged, and assures the customer is not charged if the service happens to be unavailable, such as in this case. I do not see how that equates to poor billing.
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 11-20-2005 at 02:28 AM.
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation
    Now Open in New Jersey! - Contact us for New Jersey colocation or dedicated servers

Quote Originally Posted by adb22791
    Sales: 7/10
    It took a very long time for them to setup my server due to internet connectivity problems in their offices.
    Bottomline:

If you have a lots of spare time like when after ordering VPS you take a vacation then go to steadfast otherwise find another

Bottomline:

If you have a lots of spare time like when after ordering VPS you take a vacation then go to steadfast otherwise find another
    Nearly 100% of our orders are filled witin the 24 hour timeframe we mention. Your case was unique, since it was for a product we are no longer offering and the one stated initially in review is because we were moving offices. Those are not common occurances, and as I stated, I would have to guess that 98% of orders are filled within the stated 24 hour time period.

Hmmm... No more DirectAdmin? I assume this applies only to new orders and not to existing accounts?

Any particular reason for dropping it?

Quote Originally Posted by Toe
    Hmmm... No more DirectAdmin? I assume this applies only to new orders and not to existing accounts?

Any particular reason for dropping it?
    Correct, it only applies to new orders and only applies for VPSes, we are still offering it on dedicateds.

With Virtuozzo and HSPomplete we have not found a method to set it up in a relatively automated manner and with the extremely low demand for it on VPSes we have simply decided to cut it.

Regarding support and reponse time i dont think its the poorest but yes it can be slow. I dont know if this is considered response time :

I pmed karl about some potential customer seeking a quote for dual xeon with 2 gb ram , but since that customer was not sure that day about managed or unmanaged so i pmed him again stating it would be unmanaged, and i am still waiting for the response from karl both on pm and on my msn. I know he is very busy person , but i felt kinda left out cause i had promised that client that i will get the quote within 24 hrs , so it reflects bad on my image also.

But karl is a nice person he must have had a good reason not to reply back or get back to me on msn.

And regarding server downtimes , we had 8 hours of downtime due to unknown reason and has not been found out yet cause i have not submitted the ticket to look why it happened but did pm karl about it on msn , so it would have been nice if they would have looked into the problem even if we didnt ask them to do full system checkup cause after all its their servers and their hardware. It again happend on 2nd day of nov and on 4th nov. , so dont know the reason yet . So we will probably shifting from dedicated to VPS cause atleast VPS will have full management as its stated on the site and hoping that no downtime will occur , and if it does good reason would be provided. Cause the reason for the server downtime that i understand could have been power surge or Power failure ,cause the firewall was working fine .

So over all my review is 7.5/10 and been on their server for 2 months now.

Regards.

Their site states that all dedicated servers are proactively monitored.
    Is that the case with VPS also, as it doesn't say anything in regards on their site?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    Regarding support and reponse time i dont think its the poorest but yes it can be slow. I dont know if this is considered response time :

I pmed karl about some potential customer seeking a quote for dual xeon with 2 gb ram , but since that customer was not sure that day about managed or unmanaged so i pmed him again stating it would be unmanaged, and i am still waiting for the response from karl both on pm and on my msn. I know he is very busy person , but i felt kinda left out cause i had promised that client that i will get the quote within 24 hrs , so it reflects bad on my image also.

But karl is a nice person he must have had a good reason not to reply back or get back to me on msn.

And regarding server downtimes , we had 8 hours of downtime due to unknown reason and has not been found out yet cause i have not submitted the ticket to look why it happened but did pm karl about it on msn , so it would have been nice if they would have looked into the problem even if we didnt ask them to do full system checkup cause after all its their servers and their hardware. It again happend on 2nd day of nov and on 4th nov. , so dont know the reason yet . So we will probably shifting from dedicated to VPS cause atleast VPS will have full management as its stated on the site and hoping that no downtime will occur , and if it does good reason would be provided. Cause the reason for the server downtime that i understand could have been power surge or Power failure ,cause the firewall was working fine .

So over all my review is 7.5/10 and been on their server for 2 months now.

Regards.

Note: We do not offer support via MSN or PM. If you want to make a request, etc. please make it via our ticket system or the phone number provided on our site. The request made was for a custom system and it takes time to get full quotes on a system, etc. The request was made on Friday and I would have a quote ready on Monday, which I do not find to be an excessive wait... We generally do not do custom quotes.

There has been no power surge or power outage that would have caused downtime and how are we to look into an issue that you state you haven't submitted a ticket for? We simply cannot look into issues that we are not aware of.

As a note, we do provide service monitoring inside our billing management area for all dedicated servers. This does not mean we take proactive action not do we ever claim to take proactive action. This monitoring is not currently offered on VPS accounts.
    Last edited by KarlZimmer; 11-20-2005 at 10:21 PM.

Could you clarify some things. I was looking at your site. It had great test times and low hops from my location so I decided to look a little further. That's why I am here.

As a note, we do provide service monitoring inside our billing management area for all dedicated servers. This does not mean we take proactive action not do we ever claim to take proactive action. This monitoring is not currently offered on VPS accounts.
    What do you mean by you don't monitor the VPS servers?

It does say on the site it's FULLY Managed. Could you explain the difference?

Also, could you tell us why you dropped direct admin? I was actually looking to use that panel. I currently use Cpanel which is OK. I used older plesk and ensim but after trying the new demo of Plesk and using Cpanel, I thought the direct admin demo was cleaner and easier to work with.

Thanks!

SteadFastNetworks VPSes seem to have fine features. The prices are affordable too.

But it is so difficult to communicate with them.

I've send e-mail to [email protected] with some questions about a VPS. Nothing.

I've posted on SteadFastNetworks forum the same questions. Nothing.

I've ordered a VPS before 12hrs. Nothing (i think an e-mail message with payment receipt at least or an e-mail message that inform me about my order, is necessary) ...

I don't know yet for the support, but the sales dept. moving like a turtle ...

My only complaint is that our VPS dissapeared after a month and they still havent found it yet
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

Quote Originally Posted by lavelle
    but the sales dept. moving like a turtle ...
    As I posted earlier, you can take a vacation while waiting.

Well, they don't guarantee setup times for one thing. For another, they just switched to a new billing system that (I think) automatically sets up the VPSes, so hopefully setup times will decrease.

SteadFastNetworks VPSes seem to have fine features. The prices are affordable too.

I've ordered a VPS before 12hrs. Nothing (i think an e-mail message with payment receipt at least or an e-mail message that inform me about my order, is necessary) ...

PM me the ticket number and I'll look into that. We respond to all sales requests with an average response time of under an hour. I am somewhat getting tired of this "slow response" complaints from which we are never being told the ticket number, thus we cannot look into it... Also, pre-sales questions should be sent to sales, not support, sending it to support would cause delays as it would need to be transfered to the correct department as well, etc. The forum is for support from customers, not from our staff. We never state it is an official support medium, that is what the ticket system is for.

When orders are placed an email is sent back with the ticket 3, to confirm that the order has been received. On VPS accounts we do not have a guaranteed setup time, but if you can tell me the ticket # I can look into that as well.

Also, I noted that your forum post was made on Thanksgiving... The sales office was closed on Thanksgiving Day and on Friday for the holliday, though all tickets were responded to.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlZimmer
    Also, I noted that your forum post was made on Thanksgiving... The sales office was closed on Thanksgiving Day and on Friday for the holliday, though all tickets were responded to.
    But what about the next day after thanskgiving , did he get replied the next day?

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    But what about the next day after thanskgiving , did he get replied the next day?
    As I said, sales was closed on Friday, which was the day after Thanksgiving. We answered all sales tickets on Thanksgiving day and the day after. The only thing which wasn't responded to was a forum post. Our forums are not an official support medium, they are there to publicly state issues/comlaints and to get asistance from the other users of the forums. The ticket system and phone are our official support channels.

I also have not yet been told by ANYONE of a ticket # which we did not respond to.

gregsbaby64 Guest
    I've been with Steadfast (Host Affection) since February 2005. They are great with responses and we've had great up-time. I have no complaints at all about their prices or services. After leaving another host, they set up my account quickly and after getting used to H-sphere vs. Cpanel (which I was used to for years) all the bumps on my end were worked out. And you can't beat the price, I have a Guru plan through Host Affection. For $14.95 a month I can host up to 10 domains and I don't even come close to using half of the BW monthly allowance.

I think no-details vague criticism posts are less than useless. As the host requested, give them the specific ticket numbers so they can ferret out what happened.

This forum seems rife with vague drive-by "Host X sucks!" complaints. I question how many of them are truly legitimate as opposed to trolls or competitors.

Just my $0.02...

[And no, I have never availed myself of the services of the host in this thread.]

As I said, sales was closed on Friday, which was the day after Thanksgiving. We answered all sales tickets on Thanksgiving day and the day after. The only thing which wasn't responded to was a forum post. Our forums are not an official support medium, they are there to publicly state issues/comlaints and to get asistance from the other users of the forums. The ticket system and phone are our official support channels.

I also have not yet been told by ANYONE of a ticket # which we did not respond to.
    Hello Karl,

I moved my main site to Steadfast Networks this weekend and noticed it performs much better now (accessing it from here in Thailand) but what's up with the email, down twice already?

Ticket ID: EJI-54302

Quote Originally Posted by lowland
    Hello Karl,

I moved my main site to Steadfast Networks this weekend and noticed it performs much better now (accessing it from here in Thailand) but what's up with the email, down twice already?

Ticket ID: EJI-54302
    Over the past couple of days we have had many instances of clients attempting to send SPAM through our mail server. POP3/IMAP has not been shutdown, simply SMTP, to allow us to clear out the mail queues, etc. We are also in the process of working on several measures to prevent these things from occuring in the future.

Over the past couple of days we have had many instances of clients attempting to send SPAM through our mail server. POP3/IMAP has not been shutdown, simply SMTP, to allow us to clear out the mail queues, etc. We are also in the process of working on several measures to prevent these things from occuring in the future.
    I forward all my mail from my sites to one gmail account so when SMTP is down my mail is delayed (delays of several hours this past weekend). I hope you get this sorted out as the rest of the account is perfect.