Yipes peering with ATT

I have a server colo'ed in a site with a yipes backbone in Dallas, TX. This server is a game server, so latency is critical for it's operation. About 70% of our users experience no problems. However about 30% complain of high(er) latency then what they experienced at a different host. I've had a few of them submit tracert's from their client to our server, and the bad hop (adds 60-120 ms) is usually similiar to this:

example #1:
    9 13 ms 14 ms 20 ms ggr1-p320.n54ny.ip.att.net [12.122.12.54]
    10 127 ms 129 ms 125 ms nycmny2wcx2-pos6-3.wcg.net [64.200.68.41]

example #2:
    9 70 ms 47 ms 49 ms ggr1-p370.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.123.16.245]
    10 94 ms 119 ms 99 ms IPP-dllstx9lce1-pos5-0.wcg.net [64.200.232.201]

example #3:
    8 37 ms 50 ms 55 ms ggr1-p370.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.123.16.245]
    9 115 ms 123 ms 131 ms IPP-dllstx9lce1-pos5-0.wcg.net [64.200.232.201]

I have submitted 8-10 of these tracert's to my host, and he has submitted them to yipes. Is there something more that I can do to get this issue looked at? Since I don't have an account with yipes, I doubt that I can call a ticket in with them. Or is this something that probably can't be fixed, that the peering arrangements that Yipes have, don't provide good connections with ATT networks?

TIA,
    Dean G>

where are yipes on those traceroutes?
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Dean,

You appear to be referring to wcg.net which is Wiltel not Yipes.

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I'm a little ignorant of backbone providers. I was told that our host was on a Yipes backbone, thus my assumption. Can readers of this post re-read, but replace Yipes, with Wiltel?

Thanks,
    Dean G>

I thought YIKES was slowgent+williams ....

I could be wrong though.

Originally posted by omaha.stylee
    I thought YIKES was slowgent+williams ....

I could be wrong though.
    Yipes uses WilTel and Level3 primarily. They also have a WilTel-only product which is significantly cheaper.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Located in Ashburn, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, and Manchester, UK
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

Any advice on how I can act as a customer of a host using this service to get these particular issues resolved? When I refer to 'this service', i'm referencing the Yipes/Wiltel/Level3 consortium that my host must use.... according to the responses so far... uggh.

Or do you get what you pay for with a host?
    Last edited by Dean G; 07-01-2005 at 11:18 PM.

This is a WilTel/AT&T problem. You have done about all you can do from what you said in your original post.

If you need this to be fixed quickly, your best recourse is probably to switch to a new host.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]
    Since 2003 - 20+ Years! Dedicated Servers, Co-location, DDoS Filtering, Data Backup & More!

its porbably the yipes colonet product (straight wiltel feed). as stated, not much you can do..and i don't think yipes would be able to do much with peering issues, since all yipes does is buy wiltel transit

I don't necessarily need it to be fixed quickly, this has been happening since February of this year, when we moved hosts to this provider. I do like the currenty host. I just want to know that it can be fixed eventually. Let's say I'm patient, is there anything I can do to help facilitate the process of getting the peer point from wiltel to AT&T working better? Any better data I can get to my host for them to submit to help this peering or connectivity problem between wiltel and AT&T?

Thanks,
    Dean G>

Not really. AT&T is probably trying to get WilTel to pay for additional peering...

WilTel will probably do one of the following:

1) let things stay like they are
    2) arrange for additional peering with AT&T (whether settlement-free or paid)
    3) buy transit from someone else who peers with AT&T

This process could be influenced greatly by the AT&T/SBC merger and how friendly SBC decides to be with peering policies once the merger is complete. The merger isn't due to close until late this year/early next year (pending regulatory approval), so it will probably be at least a year until you see many changes at AT&T, if any at all.
    [QuickPacket™] [AS46261]

Last time we did testing with Yipes, they earned their name well. I can't imagine hosting game servers on it.
    Game Servers are the next hot market!
    Slim margins, heavy support, fickle customers, and moronic suppliers!
    Start your own today!

I guess it's a matter of economics... My game server wouldn't even exist if I had to pay standard hosting fees. You get what you pay for. However, as I mentioned above, 70% of my community have absolutely no problems, and good latency rates. For less then the price of my home cable bill, I have a server colo'd, can run multiple game servers on it, and have complete control of the box and all the bandwidth I could ever need.

It's just that 30%.. LOL, if I could just do something to help those folks .. .. It would be the PERFECT colo....

Oh well, thanks for the help for those that posted, though it looks like there is little I can do but move to a new host with multi-peered connections... and I just don't want to fork out that kinda cash for a hobby/gaming server. So, I'll just grin and bear it

Thanks,
    Dean G>