Thread: How to start?

How to start?

Hi everybody.

I have just started up an internet hosting company with my friend. We are using Hearts Reseller Plan (heartinternet.co.uk) which is 30 a month for unlimited everything due to the fact we don't have the funs to set up servers keep them running. Basically i need some advice on how to get started, my URL is r-online.co.uk. Thats the site i have done so far, i will create and upload a logo soon so excuss the text. Because of Hearts deal i offer Unlimited Hosting for 4.99 a month and Blog and Forum hosting for 1 a month with minimum contracts.

As im sure you would agree this is a fair deal i would like to know how to advertise, currently we have no money for advertisements and only a few clients that are friends which we gave 50% discount to so that we at least had SOME money coming in. So we need some ways to advertise for free, so far we have given discount to friends hoping they will pass on the message, and we have put posts on forums advertising and submitted to all major search engines. Can you help plz.

unlimited?!

Before we get into advertising, let me explain why the words "unlimited" and "webhosting" do not go well together.

When a person purchases bandwidth from a telecom provider, they do not purchase in increments of "unlimited".

When a person buys storage space, they do not purchase it in increments of "unlimited".

I don't feel I need to explain the matter much more indepth.

I would strongly suggest you change to a more accredited reseller; a company that you can perhaps read reviews of on here.

Also, Do not follow down this road with your own company, as it will bring you "unlimited" problems.

heart internet is 1 of the biggest internet firms around, lol. if u bother to look at the site, and if u would like me to use the word unmetered then i will, lol.

That bit of it is fine, i have done my homework. i just need to no the advertising

.............................................fine, I would like to sign up for one of your accounts, but beware, one of my sites alone uses 2,500 gigabytes of transfer per month.

Why don't you e-mail heart internet and see if it's OK for you to sign me up?

yep, thats fine. unmetered means unmetered, which means u can use a terrabyte of information a month if u like. good luck uploading it all :-P

Greetings:

Why does one start a business prior to writing a business plan?

Why does one sign up with a provider, and then only ask if they did the right thing?

Why do people still believe unmetered = unlimited; AND that either are ok?

Why do people still think that unmetered means no limits?

{sigh}

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Ok I will gladly send you the money to purchase one of these accounts; please keep in mind your provider will shut your doors the minute I start uploading my data.

I plan to start a free software demo site--- like download.com -- but with no mirrors.

Who needs a mirror site when you offer unlimited storage and transfer?

I'd like to invite everyone to purchase an account from r-online and do the same!

Thanks!

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings:

Why does one start a business prior to writing a business plan?

Why does one sign up with a provider, and then only ask if they did the right thing?

Why do people still believe unmetered = unlimited; AND that either are ok?

Why do people still think that unmetered means no limits?

{sigh}

Thank you.
    We do have a business plan, lol. Just on the magical thing called paper. I was never debating my provider, i was askign about advertising. And the site says unlimited, to a provider which now has 122 TB of data on its resellers accounts unmetered does mean the same thing. So shh

How should I pay for my account?

paypal?
    Private message me the details.

Sorry, but someone will have to teach you the hard way it seems

10. paypal will do fine, lol. unfortunitly domains are quiet expensive as well at about 10.00 GBP or 6 GBP for transfer, ouch i no.

ill pm u the details now

Let me save you some troubles without teaching you the hard way.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...heart+internet

Read, Read, and then Read a little more.

Greetings:

Originally posted by r-online.co.uk
    We do have a business plan, lol. Just on the magical thing called paper.

If that's the case, then would not have your business plan answered the questions of where and how to start?

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

13. thats all well and good panel accept they have just moved datacentre and its 10 times better connection they say. and dynamicent no it did not say. as if it did then i would not be asking would i?

Now would anybody like to give any useful advice...

You're not intelligent enough to consume good advice,

Sorry, I thought I might get through to you.

Oh well, another wasted 20 minutes

Best of luck!

15. lol, u r so full of ****

You will find that Heart Internet will suspend your account if you are using anything
    above there allowed resources, it is detailed in there terms.

23.1 Web hosting accounts include a certain amount of data transfer, if you exceed this amount in any one month your account will be deactivated until you have upgraded to an account that has more data transfer included.

23.2 Web hosting accounts that are prohibited from hosting file distribution websites, adult content orientated websites, hosting banners, graphics or cgi scripts for other websites, storing pages, files or data as a repository for other websites, reselling or giving away web space under a domain, sub domain or directory.

24 SERVER USUAGE

Should your account use more than 5% of the servers processing power and as a result have a detrimental effect on other customers we will discuss with you alternative solutions for your hosting requirements.
    and

7.1 Heart Internet shall use its reasonable endeavours to make the server and the Services available to the Customer 100% of the time but because the Services are provided by means of computer and telecommunications systems, Heart Internet makes no warranties or representations that the Service will be uninterrupted or error-free and Heart Internet shall not, in any event, be liable for interruptions of Service or downtime of the server.
    from the ToS page and
    Not only are we great value for money but we also guarantee that our servers and network will be available 100% of the time!
    linked from the front page.

Greetings:

1. If there is a written business plan, there would be no need for this thread.

If there is a need for the questions, then the business plan is incomplete.

2. Unlimited is a lie. The web site uses the term "unlimited" rather than "unmetered;" BUT in any event, it is a lie.

See http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/termshi.shtml

23 DATA TRANSFER

23.1 Web hosting accounts include a certain amount of data transfer, if you exceed this amount in any one month your account will be deactivated until you have upgraded to an account that has more data transfer included.

23.2 Web hosting accounts that are prohibited from hosting file distribution websites, adult content orientated websites, hosting banners, graphics or cgi scripts for other websites, storing pages, files or data as a repository for other websites, reselling or giving away web space under a domain, sub domain or directory.

24 SERVER USUAGE

Should your account use more than 5% of the servers processing power and as a result have a detrimental effect on other customers we will discuss with you alternative solutions for your hosting requirements.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

Jeez, all this business plan harping is getting old too. Good to see everyone's business plan is perfect.

Greetings:

God is perfect; we are not. This includes our business plans.

That stated, a business plan needs to answer where and how to start. If it doesn't do so, then it is not complete.

Business often fail because of lack of proper planning (which must be implemented, monitored, changed as necessary, etc.).

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

IV just read through this post and find his knowledge of web hosting very funny.

For one nobody can provide 'unlimited' hosting. Unlimited and unmeatered are two very different things.

Also the grammer makes me think he is another one of these kids who think they know the lot...but when it comes to it they cant handle pressure (hence his swaring and bad grammer)

I would wish him luck but i dont think that will help him succeed

EDIT: when browsing his web hosting site i noticed this line:
    Every web hosting package at Neptune Web Hosting includes an array of FREE web tools to help you manage, design and implement your website, these include:
    Now who the devil are 'Neptune Web Hosting' ?
    Last edited by sketchy; 07-01-2005 at 04:35 PM.

Yes thats right! Unlimited web-space, bandwidth, MySQL, ftp accounts, mail boxes and everything else! Unbelieveable? Believe it.
    Unbelieveable? More like Impossible.

That quote reminded me of a magican.

Also, read their slogan:

http://r-online.co.uk/widgets/gen_82.1.gif

(far too lazy to type it out)

I can't wait for their adverisments...without the word hosting, it's like a coffee shop without the word coffee in their name/menus...hey wait a moment
    Web Handyman - Website and Internet Marketing Service

Haha, very good point there affordahost, i also see what you mean about the magican quote.

24. ok, ok you have made your point. No i am not one of these little kids who no everything, and my bad grammar is due to my regional dialect.

I have taken your advice as harse it is as i overlooked that bit in the t&c's about the 5% crap which is outragous, we we got out 30 day MBG and thats currently sorting, and i spent about 2 hours on this site sifting through reseller plans.

I have found one on here at mkoh.com which looks very good, opinions plz.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...der=descending
    Some info there not alot though.
    Just think is it reasonable or too good to be true.
    All the best with your venture

Is it true?

R-online listened to us?

Let me know when you switch reseller plans, I'll give you some marketing advice.

27. DELETED DUE TO THE FACT IM TALKING ****

28. I have switched to the basic plan with this host:

http://www.amajorreseller.com/reseller.htm

It seems pretty good.

29. ok they only go through paypal, so maybe not, lol.

hostingzoom was next on the list. which has recieved great reviews. god i sound like a prat.

and the tide turns.

Good Day,

I am glad that you discovered the 5% resource clause within your Money Back 30 day timeframe and have decicied to research other potential providers to allow you to offer your service(s).

However I would like to make a few points that I have observed when reading this thread. First off there are a some people that use this forum to research possible hosting providers, much as I did when I recently switched hosts and the fact that you are using your business as your Username and then replying in the manner that you did, such as **** to blank out foul language and the 'scuffing' of replies does not reflect the best of images for your company.

Secondly after looking at your website, and I am only being honest here, it looks like a quick template that was modified, I would suggest a remodel of the design. You can not start a business on a shoe string budget and have a reasonable chance of success, but it is remotely possible. I have started a few business on show string budgets and they have failed and I have also started a few business with bank acceptable quality business plans and they have been a success.

Also do not forget about the cost of Server Admin (you may be surprised to see what your provider will not cover), Customer Support, Pre-Sale Support, Software Licenses, etc. If I was in the situation that you are in at this point I would pull the current site, replacing it with a 'Coming Soon' page and then spend the next 2 - 3 months going over all the details, financials, etc. and once that is completed and you have a solid plan that shows success I would then do the plan all over again but with 10% more expenses and 10% less revenue and if the revised plan still shows a profit than and only than would I enter the business.

Hope you find my informaiton of some use and the best of luck in the future.

Iwill vouch for Hosting Zoom, when i was with them we were given great support...i think they even give a free client exec licence now!

32. yes very useful thank you. Well that current web was in production and logos and such were about to be uploaded.

However i think with this new plan i will do a under contstruction page with a e-mail link in case people want details, i have enough friends who will get hosting from me to cover costs for a few months (i hope).

Luckily i did a mega check and our provider gives us everything we need for a fee which is more then their counterpart, which is some proof i suppose that they arent fobbing me of.

Like i said im ina partnership with somebody who speaks the queen's english and he does all the CSR stuff.

Buying any hosting account that is unlimited anything and everything is like taking toxic everyday, death will arrive sooner than later.

Nobody needs the Queen's English to be successful.

34. needs and wants are different. u should no that