Comcast 6Mbs/768kbs

Hi everyone,

I am located in South Jersey, and just upgraded to Comcast's 6Mbs/768kbs connection. I was wondering if you guys could give me any tips on how to either check thoroughly to see what the full speed I am actually receiving is, and/or the best advice you can give for optimizing my PC to receive the max speeds I can.

I've got two routers between my 3GHZ Intel (spyware free, I know how to use a PC, unlike everyone else in my house who has every spyware toolbar you can imagine and can barely use their computer).

I've gone to PCPitstop and run their tests several times. Prior to the upgrade I was getting around 40XX Kbs/sec speed, and now I'm showing 45XX Kbs/sec speed. Naturally..that's not too good. The upload is showing about 72X Kbs/sec which is acceptable to me, I won't raise any hell as long as it's over 700 upload. The main reason I upgraded was for the upload speed, ANYWAY.

That being said, I WOULD like to take every possible step to insure I can get as close to the speed they are sending to my modem as possible, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Download from a site that is known for fast bandwidth. For example, get any file off download.microsoft.com (via Microsoft's website) or ftp://ftp.netscape.com. Back when I had Excite @ Home I used to download files off ftp.netscape.com at 950k/s off my cable modem. So that's always been one of my favorite benchmark sites.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

It could be the connection itself, for instance you could be on a congested node as it is cable.

For pretty much everything you wanted to know checkout dlsreports.

Speakeasy has good test tools, that's my opinion. For Los Angeles area, http://lax.speakeasy.net/ they have more all over but thats just ane xample. DSL Reports is probably the same but with more ISPs
    josh

Try the speakeasy tools or dslreports. Comcast is pretty good at getting close to advertised speed in my area.

Thanks to everyone for their tips!

Another good site is bandwidthplace.com/speedtest

Nice connection

RSayer - I'm in Evesham/Marlton area. Call comcast up and tell them you want to upgrade for another 10 bucks. The speeds get even better with the next upgrade.

Speed Test: http://www.speedurl.com

I got the following at speakeasy:

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 2159 kbps (269.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 116 kbps (14.5 KB/sec transfer rate

That's pretty good considering I'm in Australia and the server is in Seattle.

Originally posted by gman2
    Another good site is bandwidthplace.com/speedtest

Nice connection
    That's a good tool, thanks for the link!

Originally posted by eMax
    RSayer - I'm in Evesham/Marlton area. Call comcast up and tell them you want to upgrade for another 10 bucks. The speeds get even better with the next upgrade.

Speed Test: http://www.speedurl.com
    I was wonder the impression that 6mbs/768 is the best that they will provide for residential areas - and I did not see the option available for ANOTHER $10/upgrade from the current "10/upgrade". What's the next step up in connection speed, and what're you paying?

Edit: I now think PCPitstop sucks :-P Bandwidth place is showing me a steady 6.2-6.5MBs connection. NICE! :-)

For some reason I get 4Mbs/368kbs on the standard plan. Maybe im just lucky... hehe :-D
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

I like testmy.net for speedtests

VolkNet,

They upgraded their standard plan for free several months ago and sent out an email, here it is.. this came on January 29th, 05:

Just when you thought the Internet couldn't get any faster, Comcast has increased speeds by 33%,* with no extra charge or equipment necessary. Now all your favorite Comcast features are faster than ever before!
    4.0Mbps speed refers to downloads only, maximum upstream: 384Kbps. All speed comparisons are for downloads only. Faster speed claims compared to Comcast's previous 3.0Mbps standard residential High-Speed Internet services. Speeds for customers previously subscribing to 4.0Mbps/384Kbps plan have been automatically increased, to as fast as 6Mbps/768Kbps at no additional charge. Actual speeds vary and are not guaranteed. Many factors affect speed.

Originally posted by RSayer
    I was wonder the impression that 6mbs/768 is the best that they will provide for residential areas - and I did not see the option available for ANOTHER $10/upgrade from the current "10/upgrade". What's the next step up in connection speed, and what're you paying?

Edit: I now think PCPitstop sucks :-P Bandwidth place is showing me a steady 6.2-6.5MBs connection. NICE! :-)

http://site2.imageshosted4u.com/show.php/476_Snap1.jpg

You have to call them and ask for the upgrade.

chat id : 7b36d333-f4f9-4605-a5ac-0fc9ba1efa07
    Problem : Connection/Speed
    Helen.7299 > Thank-you for contacting Comcast. This is Helen. May I have your name and how may I help you?
    Richard > Hi Helen, I have a quick question for you.
    Richard > We recently upgraded to the 6.0MBs connection for $10/more per month, and I was talking on a popular message board I go to, and a member told me they also live in South Jersey, and for an ADDITIONAL $10/month, I can get an even faster speed. Can you verify this?
    Helen.7299 > May I please have your name.
    Richard > Yes, Richard, I thought I just submitted it in the form before chatting.
    Richard > I don't wish to make any changes just yet, I could not find the answer to my question on your web site.
    Helen.7299 > Hello, Richard.
    Helen.7299 > I haven't heard of any higher speed available.
    Helen.7299 > You can call in to verify.
    Helen.7299 > For this issue you will need to call in at 1-800-COMCAST ( 1-800-266-2278
    )open 24/7 and choose internet support to get it resolved. I apologize for the inconvenience.
    Richard > They posted a screenshot of their speeds and had somewhere in the 8-9MBits range. I suppose they could have been lying, but I don't know why they would be? To your understanding (and mine), is the 7MBs business connection the fastest you have available, or is there faster?
    Helen.7299 > There is a faster connection, but it is a commercial connection and it costs a lot more than $10.
    Helen.7299 > 1-800-316-1619 is the number to call.
    Richard > So the 6MBs is the fastest residential connection?
    Helen.7299 > Yes, that is correct.
    Richard > Thank you

I guess we lucked out here in Rochester, NY. I can pull 650KB/s down all day long. I just wish my uplink was more than 35KB/s.

Im happy with my average of about 515KB/s here in Portland, OR.

I was supposed to have the upgraded residential before but then i cancelled and then later down the road and just kept the normal speeds.

Thanks
    - James

Comcast does offer a business-class service in many markets with speeds up to 7Mbit/s. Just be prepared to pay about $115/mo for said service

http://work.comcast.net/smallbusiness.asp

The best parts of this package are that you get a different phone number to call for support (who answer very quickly 24/7) and the level 1 techs are far more competent.
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Comcast plans on rasing tier speeds soon. 6mbs will be 10mbs.

Originally posted by RSayer

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12552509

Also you might want to read this:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13793077

ok, something is wrong there, no way uploads are that fast.
    Last edited by (Stephen); 07-07-2005 at 11:40 AM.

Hey RSayer, Im in south Jersey as well (Camden County).

I too have the "Gold" plan, I ran a simple bandwidth test and it showed the upgrade. Although it wasn't really worth the extra $10 a month as I never saw any "real-time" differences.

If you're familiar with Voorhees NJ. Theres the Big Comcast/CIGNA building, I work for CIGNA and we share the building/cafe etc. I talk to some Comcast Employees sometimes and apparently if you ask the right person there are quite a few upgrades you can make.
    Last edited by viGeek; 07-07-2005 at 11:58 AM.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

I thought things were wrong, but I am getting consistantly fast uploads:

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::
    Connection is:: 2196 Kbps about 2.2 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)
    Upload Speed is:: 268 kB/s
    Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (server2)
    Test Time:: Thu Jul 07 2005 22:21:52 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
    Bottom Line:: 39X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 3.82 sec
    Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 540.23 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)
    Validation Link:: http://testmy.net/stats/id-VB2AC81JE

Not bad for cable, I better be quiet or it will be found out
    I was FTPing earlier at about 200kb/s upload as well.

I've done all I can do, I called about a FASTER speeds and apparently everyone I spoke to (and they spoke to after putting me on hold) is only aware of a "$10/upgrade to 6Mbpss/768kbs". That's the best they say they offer for residential, and from there the fastest business is 7Mbps ... so who knows. Either the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, or I'm talking to the wrong people. Either way, with what I do, a 768kbs upload sure as hell beats a 368 or whatever it was before, and 768 is just fine for my upload needs, couldn't ask for more, and probably wouldn't be worth it to me even for "just another $10".

Most of the good answers have already been given, but one you should also try is downloading Adobe Acrobat reader. I usually can max out anything under 10mbit downloading from them.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

<Holding Hand Up> Ummmm I have a question?????

How much of that 6 Megs do you actually need. How much are you going to actually use on a regular basis?????

Does it matter how much I need or use on a regular basis? The reason I purchased the upgrade is because when I am occasionally DOWNLOADING, it will go FASTER than a 4mbps connection, that's for damn sure, and time is money, i might only save a few seconds here and there but it will add up eventually, you'd be surprised. And as I stated before, I bought it for the upload. 368kbps was pitiful, now atleast uploading at 70/80kbs I'm happy with that, and wouldve paid $10 more per month for that alone.