Am I being fooled?

I have a client who recently said they were purchasing 8 of our best packages. When they told me they had finished, I went to check my email to see if I had gotten any confirmation from PayPal/2CO. Nothing. I figured there was just a delay, and that it might take a while. I logged into WHMAP, and there were no new orders, no pending orders. Things get confusing since the client says he is head of marketing for [org. which is quite large and reputable] and is interested in purchasing 300-400 more of our top packages in the future. Some time passes, and I still don't see his order. The next day, he says that he tried ordering again, but surprise surprise, nothing shows up in WHMAP, or anywhere else for that matter.

Yesterday, he seemed to be a little infuriated, and was quite upset that he would have to re-enter his information, and that he would contact me by phone on Monday to get things straightened out. I got his name and org. under which he registered for one of our other packages, and the weird thing is that none of our clients in the management system, paypal, or 2co are listed under his name or company. I'm going one-by-one through the accounts listed in WHMAP now, but I don't see anything promising yet.

How do you think I should handle this?

If he paid for via PayPal, then ask him to send you a copy of the Paypal receipt. Maybe there is something similar from 2co.

Maybe you are being fooled... it seems kind of strange.

Greetings:

Have you tried placing an order yourself to verify your order system is working?

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

You could always give this .org a phone call and verify he actually works for them. If it seems odd to you, spending a buck on long distance is worth it.

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings:

Have you tried placing an order yourself to verify your order system is working?

Thank you.
    Yes, I have, and it works fine.

He's not doing something right. PayPal and 2CO both send email receipts. Ask him to forward you those if he has in fact ordered correctly. Something tells me he's not completing all of the steps, which is why you're not showing any new orders from him at all.

If he got as far as the payment page in WHMAP, they should show in WHMAP as incomplete orders. If they're not there at all, he either didn't order, didn't go past the first page, or he's using someone else's site...and contacting you by mistake.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

You should phone him immediately and walk him through placing the order.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Originally posted by bear
    If he got as far as the payment page in WHMAP, they should show in WHMAP as incomplete orders. If they're not there at all, he either didn't order, didn't go past the first page, or he's using someone else's site...and contacting you by mistake.
    This is what I concluded, however he is quite persistant in claiming that he HAS ordered through our system.

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    You should phone him immediately and walk him through placing the order.

--Tina
    I intend on doing this as well, however my only way of communicating with him is via MSN messenger and he is not always online.

You should ALWAYS have phone contact information. I would never setup an order that didn't include a valid phone number. If the only way to contact him is MSN - I would ditch the order.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

It's not that I don't ask for it, I do, however he doesn't seem to exist in my list of accounts in WHMAP.

Originally posted by AH-Tina
    You should ALWAYS have phone contact information. I would never setup an order that didn't include a valid phone number. If the only way to contact him is MSN - I would ditch the order.

--Tina
    That's the problem though. There isn't any record of the orders, even though the user is claiming that he's placed them
    Alasdair
    Long time ex-host, ex-billing software owner/developer/support staff. Recent lurker.

Wait for him to call you like he said. Then walk him through it.

Something seems just a little fishy here.

Originally posted by MegaGeo
    Wait for him to call you like he said. Then walk him through it.

Something seems just a little fishy here.
    I'd be proactive and try to contact the organization he says he represents. It's win/win you find out if it's legit, and if it is you show off your companies willingness to support someone.