Firewall on IRC Server

Hello does anyone know which port to open for a normal irc server ?

If you are referring to IRCd Servers then you would be usually using ports such as 6660-6669 7000 and possibly 6697 (which is unreal's default ssl port). Of course you would want to open another yet for doing server linking.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

OK how about things like incoming port or outgoing port
    TCP or UDP etc..

Sorry as I have never dealt with irc server and a customer server is keep getting hack. It gets to a point, I feel so annoying. I just want to firewall it and secure it for the customer

We're talking incoming ports of course since these would be the dst-port as the src would be the client connecting.

Firewall alone won't do much unless you are blocking out apache and such as well. Honestly have yet to see a hacker get into a server actually through the ircd itself (most ircd code is fairly secured and at best gets crash problems where the ircd itself would just core dump only). (Presume the system has a bunch of other processes running besides the ircd then obviously?).

In any case you're talking TCP mainly for the ircd and then UDP for it's dns lookups.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

My IRC Network uses:
    6660-6669 & 7770-7779 for Clients
    7010 for Servers
    6697 for SSL

You can probably freely block most other ports (I have mail & apache on one server for signup with services + website so those ports are open).

The 7770-7779 range is open for users who might not be able to connect to 6660-6669 range (Universities blocking IRC).

is that incoming or outgoing port
    and UDP or TCP?