Thread: Thanks WHT

Thanks WHT

Thanks WHT. I first came here as a wide-eyed 14-year-old reading about the wondrous world of web hosting. I had wanted to jump right in and start my own company, but held back and read as much as one possibly could. Over the years I've worked for different companies learning what I could. Again I decided I wanted to start my own company. I began researching different things; software, business registration, managing the business, hiring employees, writing a business plan, and much more. Unfortunately, I realized that schoolwork was my real job. The aim of my business was to go above and beyond in terms of support, and do as much as I possibly could for each individual client. Still in high school, I realized this was an impossibility -- I would have to rely on other people that I didn't necessarily trust to run my business. I would also be sacrificing hours of spending time with my friends to help clients solve a problem or an error.

The benefit of reading my long and drawn out story? Thank you WHT, for allowing me to see that starting a business while still in high school would, at least for me, have been a bad idea. Knowing me I would have lost interest and not been able to provide total support for my clients. When I start my business, I know I want to focus on providing the best support possible for my clients, and this isn't possible for me while in school. I'll be a senior in high school this year, and plan on attending a great local college and majoring in entrepreneurship. The classes that comprise the major all look really exciting and interesting to me, and I hope that when I graduate I'll have the focus and knowledge to run a successful company.

My words of advice to those fellow teenagers looking to start their own company here on WHT: if after reading this you honestly think you have the dedication and commitment and you're willing to spend countless hours working with your clients, more power to you. I honestly want to see you succeed, which is also why I'm warning you: if you have the slightest doubt that you'd rather be hanging out with your friends at 8PM on a Friday night when someone is having trouble uploading to their FTP account, stay out for now. Hang out with your friends, you'll thank me later! Wait until you're out of school and have everything you need to succeed.

If this post has helped anyone, please let me know. I'm not here to flame at all -- again, if you're sure you're succeed more power to you. I just don't want to see any more teenagers fail because they haven't properly thought ahead.

Thank you.

Would that more people (young or old) gave as much careful thought and consideration to starting a business as you have, Chris. You sound very grounded, mature and sensible (not to mention well spoken).

Good luck in all you do.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Thanks Vito

I appreciate your kind words!

Well spoken Chris.
    It's good to have an occasional reminder that maturity and age are not always proportionate.

Kudos to you Chris. I was in the same situation as you not too long ago, although I decided to take a risk and kick things off while college was still a major part of my life.

Luckily, the risk paid off, I managed to juggle college, a Web hosting company and freelance Web development work, as well as still providing enough time for social activities, don't ask me how I did it, I suppose I had a lot of luck along the way.

With college behind me, things are now going from strength to stength.
    - Jamie Harrop

Thanks blue

And excellent job Jamie, maybe it'll be possible to start a small PC repair business while in college, but I don't think I could manage an internet business with the time commitment. Congrats!

Crap, I just noticed a typo but it's too late to edit. Please ignore that everyone

Hey, we all make the occasional mistake, Chris.
    - Jamie Harrop

Chris,
    This may sound incredibly stupid if I have the wrong person but...

Are you the person who said they wouldn't be posting much on WHT anymore about a year ago because he was training for the Olympics or something like that?
    Haven't been on WHT for 6 years!

Afraid not, I've said nothing of the sort. Maybe another Chris? There are a lot of us here on WHT. I'm a little too young to be in the Olympics

Originally posted by jasong
    Chris,
    This may sound incredibly stupid if I have the wrong person but...

Are you the person who said they wouldn't be posting much on WHT anymore about a year ago because he was training for the Olympics or something like that?

All rights and wrongs aside, your post is very true. Is most of the kids involved in the hosting business would take your advice, the industry would gain in quality. And most of the established hosts would better spend their time. I'm sure you know what I mean by that.

Chris, it's a good thing that you could find the courage and dedication to post those words. Let's hope that you believe in that, as well as follow your own words.
    Lorand R. Minyo
    Co-Founder @ Neveli

Thanks Lorand, and of course I believe them, that's why I posted... I want others to believe them too.

Your post was very helpful toward me. I am a college student. College comes first. Getting my bacholar or associate degree is very important to me. I always feel so left out because I didn't have a hosting company...and I didn't have the time or all the knowledge to run one. At least that yet...but when I have the time, which is not going to be anytime soon, then I will learn to handle a website company.
    Most of my time went to school stuff and trips for my school. Pretty much I am busy doing an undergraduate lab research program. At least, I can't back out of getting up at 8 am in the morning and leaving after 8 hours later. When it come to a website, I won't have anyone to push me to get out of bed everyday to maintain a web hosting company.

Re: Thanks WHT

Originally posted by Chris Armstrong
    Thank you.
    No, thank you! I'm not against kids running businesses, but I have often taken the time to point out the very issues you've raised. They are common sense, aren't they? I've been to college and I've run my own business. I don't see how I could have focused on either while trying to do both.

It's nice to see a youngster put his ego aside for a moment and realize the advice given to kids around here about running their own hosting company, really is good advice and not 'bias against youth'. Yes, go to school and hang out with your friends. You'll never be a teenager again, enjoy it while it lasts.

Never put yourself in a position where you have to decline a social invitation, or put off your studies, because of "too many tickets in the queue".

Chris, I think if you ever do start a hosting company, it will be successful. You've demonstrated a level of maturity, sense and reasoning in your post which is uncommon around here amongst the under-20 set.
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Glad you have your priorities indiaberry.

Thanks BigBison, and I like your unfrozen caveman lawyer reference

As much as I'd love to start my company now, I know I need to wait until everything is in place to do so.