Microsoft's New AntiSpyware "helper"

i dont know if any of you have installed it.

but did you happen to look at the file size?

http://www.filemirrors.com/search.sr...e&size=6816904

Hasnt picked up any Spyware yet, but i run Ad-Ware so maybe in a few it will.

Any thoughts?

Re: Microsoft's New AntiSpyware "helper"

Originally posted by vdaonline

but did you happen to look at the file size?
    I've always suspected that Bill Gates was the spawn of the Devil!!

Seriously though, I've found it more effective than Ad-Aware and Spybot.
    Fast2host Ltd. Affordable, Fast and Reliable UK Hosting.
    Shared, Multidomain and Reseller Windows & Linux Hosting.
    VPS and Dedicated UK Servers.

yea i would agree!
    Last edited by Jeremy; 08-26-2005 at 09:36 PM.

Not anything new, its been available as a beta from microsoft for a while, prior to being bought by microsoft it was sold by Giant. A very good product by the way.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Personally, I'm a fan of PCTools Sypware Doctor. It's not free, but it blows the pants off MS Antispyware, Adaware, and Spybot Search & Destroy.

I have found MS Antispyware to be one of the worst at "removing" pre-existing spyware, but it's best at "preventing" them. I have seen it remove a spyware, then a moment later it comes back saying the same spyware is trying to install, and you go thru the same thing over and over. However, if you install it on a clean computer, then it certainly does the best job of "preventing" spyware.

Originally posted by Utaria-Aaron
    Personally, I'm a fan of PCTools Sypware Doctor. It's not free, but it blows the pants off MS Antispyware, Adaware, and Spybot Search & Destroy.
    Utaria-Aaron I have never really had much faith in adaware or any of the other free ones, I think MS's is ok. I use Spysweeper, Pest Patrol Corporate Edition, Norton Anti Virus, Microsoft Anti spyware, there's one other but can't remember the name.

These all work very good however there doesn't seem to be one program that can get every threat, some are good with registry, some are good with gookies. I want ONE that does the lot.

Would you say "PCTools Sypware Doctor" is better than the ones I have listed and is it good enough to be used by itself.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    Need help? just ask The Doctor
    House calls a specialty
    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy ?

Hi,

I think using at least 2 of the well-regarded sweepers will cover most of your bases.

I use Spybot and Adaware.

How much is Spyware Doctor?

N~

Originally posted by Nordie
    Hi,

I think using at least 2 of the well-regarded sweepers will cover most of your bases.

I use Spybot and Adaware.

How much is Spyware Doctor?

N~
    It cost $29.95 per single computer and an extra $9.95 for a CD delivered.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

Im pretty impressed with this as well. Lots of neat features.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Nice find thanks for sharing man!

MS antispyware is really much better, imho. It detected stuffs that my ad-aware never detect.
    Linux System admin (since 2001)
    * cPanel/WHM, Directadmin, Apache, DNS, PHP, HyperVM, Lxadmin, Openvz*

Originally posted by jayzee
    MS antispyware is really much better, imho. It detected stuffs that my ad-aware never detect.
    I've never thought ad-aware was any good. I have lost count of the amount of times I have had clients computers and they were running ad-aware and I found several incidents of spyware using my programs.

I have just got Spyware doctor and it is running a scan as I type and so far it has found 14 on my alledgely clean computer.

Doc
    www.doctorhill.com.au
    House calls a specialty

I'll check it out, thanks for the link guys

I had it on my pc a while back
    but since it's a beta, I probably deleted it

I've recently acquired pc-cillin internet security 2005. I'm still looking at it since it also had an active spyware control.

I've reinstalled microsoft antispyware though.
    I'm scanning my pc right now

I wonder if it will find stuff ad-aware and pc-cillin did not find...

Ok here's the result:

I installed microsoft antispyware again and scanned my pc,
    it found nothing

I then scanned my pc with pc-cillin antispyware scan it found 16 possible harmfull cookies

I then scanned my pc with ad-aware which in turn found another 2 "critical objects" (another 2 tracking cookies)

in all, it comfirms something i believed since long: there's no "best" antispyware tool. it's using a combination of different ones that will keep your pc clean.

It also comes down to how you use your machine. Running FireFox will just about stop almost all spyware from coming into your system minus a few tracking cookies.

Here @ work (lucky me, I get to work saturday) we use
    Ad-Aware Current
    CWShreder 2.15
    HiJackThis 1.99
    and Spybot Search & Destory.

I just use the top 3. Never had that much great use for spybot s&d.

The biggest problem I'm seeing lately, besides the normal aggravating spyware toolbars, ect is that damn ABI Network (Aurora) crap that requires you to download their removal tool from another website (mypctuneup.com) which isn't always up. For myself I just put that file on my pendrive, as well as my personal site I use for help files/fixes/storage of fixes.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Since I've been using firefox, I agree that the only thing that seems to stay and store itself on the computer are cookies.

but even then, different applications will display different harmfull cookies.

I've used spybot s&d before. it's a good tool.

Just scanned with the so called "Microsoft AntiSpyware" software. It found one thing. Called it a moderate threat. RealVNC which we use here @ work to remote into another pc, and remote back into this one.

None of the other anti-spytware software see it as a "threat". Just MS.

I know I ran ad-aware yesterday afternoon (was bored, waiting for parts) and all I found was a few tracking cookies (multiple users use this pc, and Im the only one that uses firefox).

So much for MS AntiSpyware, I will just stick to what I know works, and something that won't mess up installs of other software. Excuse me, I need to remove this crap from this pc.

My "Moderate Threat"
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Originally posted by Webdude
    I have found MS Antispyware to be one of the worst at "removing" pre-existing spyware, but it's best at "preventing" them. I have seen it remove a spyware, then a moment later it comes back saying the same spyware is trying to install, and you go thru the same thing over and over. However, if you install it on a clean computer, then it certainly does the best job of "preventing" spyware.
    Ahh yes, I have delt with the same problem before on a freind's computer. I had to remove that that particular piece of spyware manually.