"The house is burning down" "Not my problem" - 911

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

BUSTED .. ... :-D

Ya i mean,if this dispatchers house was the 1 burning down,you know he would not like that being said!!!!!

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

sheesh! What is that? What kind of respond is that?
    They shouldn't take up on that type of job if they aren't prepare to deal with the calls they will recieve.
    That was a very rude respond.

I read a different article about this earlier. The caller kept hanging up when the 911 operator transferred him to the fire department. Hello? Stay on the line? I wouldn't have said 'not my problem' but I would have been awfully exasperated, had I taken a call from some moron who can't follow the simplest possible instruction -- "Don't hang up!"

The 'not my problem' bit came on what, the fifth call?

That's like opening five trouble tickets on the same day, for the same problem, with your host!
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

I have to sympathize with the dispatcher here. From the description in the story it seems like the dispatcher was trying hard to do his job to help the caller, and the caller wasn't cooperative enough to do what was needed to get her own burning home extinguished. Then he gets accused of "rudeness".

I thought we call 911 so they handle the calls for us? Not be transferred from department to department like some monkey to get help. 911 should have been able to dispatch Fire Rescue from is machine.

Originally posted by Rob83
    I thought we call 911 so they handle the calls for us? Not be transferred from department to department like some monkey to get help. 911 should have been able to dispatch Fire Rescue from is machine.
    In Utopia, perhaps. If your home is difficult to locate, would you rather give the flunky in the call center directions to relay to the fire department, or put you through to the guys on the street?

The purpose of 911 is to act as a call center. In my county, if one calls 911 and needs the Sheriff, one gets transferred to the Sheriff's dept. dispatcher. For local police, the local police dispatcher.

The 911 call center services all of Northwest Colorado. Without transferring me to someone local, how is the flunky 75 miles away supposed to know where 'Decker Park' is if I respond "I'm right across from Decker Park" when asked for the cross-street?

If you don't like how the system works, you'll find the primary reason it isn't better is 'lack of funding'. We whine about problems with 911, yet never vote to give them enough resources to carry out the mission. Hold queues? Or undertrained warm bodies to 'triage' and route calls to avoid putting calls on hold? Or adequate funding in the first place? Those are the options.

Originally posted by BigBison
    In Utopia, perhaps. If your home is difficult to locate, would you rather give the flunky in the call center directions to relay to the fire department, or put you through to the guys on the street?

The purpose of 911 is to act as a call center. In my county, if one calls 911 and needs the Sheriff, one gets transferred to the Sheriff's dept. dispatcher. For local police, the local police dispatcher.

The 911 call center services all of Northwest Colorado. Without transferring me to someone local, how is the flunky 75 miles away supposed to know where 'Decker Park' is if I respond "I'm right across from Decker Park" when asked for the cross-street?

If you don't like how the system works, you'll find the primary reason it isn't better is 'lack of funding'. We whine about problems with 911, yet never vote to give them enough resources to carry out the mission. Hold queues? Or undertrained warm bodies to 'triage' and route calls to avoid putting calls on hold? Or adequate funding in the first place? Those are the options.
    I guess down here in S. Florida it's different. I can call 911 for fire, EMT or police and they will all be dispatched. Thankfully I have all three within a 5 minutes drive from me. And to think I pay for a home alarm with the same three buttons that will automatically activate the EMT/Police/Fire and I've never used it! Grr now that I think about it.

Same in NJ. You call 911 for EMT,Police,Fire,Hazmat everything. When you call they know your address already, I guess they have some sort of caller ID that knows the address etc. When you call from a Cell I assume they ask. Either way im pretty lucky where im locate, im about 400 yards from a firehouse and about 1 mile from the police head quarters along with just less than a mile from the hospital.

poor dispatcher.... *feels sorry for him* ...
    Get help with your server optimization - A forum on server optimization...
    ExoPHPDesk - Powerful PHP HelpDesk