Exclamation Several raids in Internet Piracy Crackdown

http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pr/2005/June/05_crm_353.htm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6586.cfm

It is being reported on some news sites that some raids took place today against Internet "warez" groups. It has been confirmed so far that there was at least one arrest against a Fremont man. Chirayu Patel, 24, was arrested yesterday accused of setting up hardware and running a site for a group called Boozers; who are famous online for releasing pirated DVDR copies of movies. Apparently the FBI unmasked a number of piracy groups by making massive amounts of storage space available to them.

On these 2 servers provided by the FBI and 2 servers provided by "warez group members", 27TB of data appeared including movies like Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith just hours after their first theatre showings. Patel is alleged to have become a "Site Op" who used one of the undercover servers and uploaded loads of video games, architectural software and movies.

While now there are only a couple of news sources writing about it, the rumours have been buzzing around the Internet all morning with some details reaching us slowly. Apparently, raids were also targeted against the leaders of groups Centropy and TDA. Some other details that have come this way include the apparent nickname of one federal agent involved - Griffen.

An announcement by U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales is expected today with details on the larger investigation. We will keep up to date as more details come clear.

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Re: Several raids in Internet Piracy Crackdown

Originally posted by The Dude
    Some other details that have come this way include the apparent nickname of one federal agent involved - Griffen.
    Could it be?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails peter.griffen.jpg  
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

And yet, Centropy released another movie within next few hours of the raid. (fbi )

Should we get the terrorists? Hell no!

Should we get those movie pirates? Yes! Yay giant corporations!

Originally posted by HenryJ
    And yet, Centropy released another movie within next few hours of the raid. (fbi )
    Hehehe

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

lol, yeah get the pirates not the terrorists
    <<Please see rules for signature setup>>

Not just any pirates--they got the movie pirates. I've seen more spam offering to sell me MS Office or Adobe Photoshop, so I'd rather see those spamvertising pirates busted.

Originally posted by LP-Trel
    Should we get the terrorists? Hell no!

Should we get those movie pirates? Yes! Yay giant corporations!

What kind of argument is that?
    So, are you suggesting that because there are terrorists out there that we should let all other crimes go unpunished?

Why don't they invest in reducing the credit card frauds? Why not catch people using stolen cards.

And what can we say about FBI, it's just doing a great deed. Now the question is, will they EVER be able to put an end to piracy?
    Get help with your server optimization - A forum on server optimization...
    ExoPHPDesk - Powerful PHP HelpDesk

Originally posted by Mike_R
    Why don't they invest in reducing the credit card frauds? Why not catch people using stolen cards.

And what can we say about FBI, it's just doing a great deed. Now the question is, will they EVER be able to put an end to piracy?
    Will there ever be an end to murder?
    Will there ever be an end to drug dealing?
    Will there ever be an end to wife beating?
    Will there ever be an end to robbery?
    Will there ever be an end to terrorism?

No. There probably will not. Do you suggest that we should quit trying to eliminate them?

Just because there are people out there who find nothing wrong with stealing the work of others doesn't make it any less of a crime.
    It's ironic how you question the fact that they are concentrating on the warez groups and at the same time wonder why they are not spending more time catching people who use stolen credit cards. Perhaps there is a very good chance that these warez groups are responsible for a very large percentage of credit card theft.

Very good chance, but it's not obvious. Well, I am not saying that they shouldn't work against piracy, but I think more priority should be given to eliminating credit card fraud.
    Get help with your server optimization - A forum on server optimization...
    ExoPHPDesk - Powerful PHP HelpDesk

Originally posted by Mike_R
    Very good chance, but it's not obvious. Well, I am not saying that they shouldn't work against piracy, but I think more priority should be given to eliminating credit card fraud.

I would say that by going after pirates they are also going after credit card fraud.
    From what I can tell it's all related.

Pirate's/Warez groups etc. are closely related to the hackers. The hackers are the ones who are stealing credit card information and passing it along to the warez and pirate groups.

What???
    Credit Card info has nothing to do with the warez scene...

Blue.. what are you talking about?

Originally posted by blue27
    there is a very good chance that these warez groups are responsible for a very large percentage of credit card theft.
    Ummm ok if you say so

Originally posted by OKI-Paul
    Ummm ok if you say so
    Do you have evidence otherwise?
    What is the point of your post if you don't have something to add?

Credit Card info has nothing to do with the warez scene...
    How can you say that the same people who are creating these warez groups have no affiliation with identity theft? They distribute the information therefore they are related.

How can you say that they do? You have no proof, all you have is a theory. No evidence from you either. Reading your posts lately make me wonder about you blue.

Do you have evidence otherwise?
    What is the point of your post if you don't have something to add?

How can you say that the same people who are creating these warez groups have no affiliation with identity theft? They distribute the information therefore they are related.

Quote Originally Posted by blue27
    Will there ever be an end to murder?
    Will there ever be an end to drug dealing?
    Will there ever be an end to wife beating?
    Will there ever be an end to robbery?
    Will there ever be an end to terrorism?
    Don't forget husband beating

I know a few people who are involved in piracy (various group affiliations), and they're only involved in distribution of the data.

Hell, alot of people who release the groups state in their nfos that if you like the product, that you should buy it. I myself have followed these practices with those albums and products i really enjoyed.

Invest more money and time finding the real terrorists.

Some really immature comments made in this thread. Simply because the DoJ have announced the a string of raids fighiting crime; everyone starts saying how they should be spending more time fighting terrorism or "real" crime? If someone raided an HMV store, driving off with thousands of copies of DVDs and CDs to distribute on the black market; would that be considered "real" crime to you? The only difference here is it takes the DoJ/FBI spends much more time and expertise to catch the criminals on the "warez scene".

Maybe 1 in every 100 press releases from the DoJ/FBI involve "warez" raids. To me that sounds like they are prioritising; however , in any case, they had gathered enough evidence to prosecute a small string of criminals; and so they went ahead and arrested them... that is afterall their job...
    Adam Harris
    Technical Director, XOMY Limited
    XOMY LCD and Plasma Televisions :: XOMAC Apple Macs

Originally posted by portal
    How can you say that they do? You have no proof, all you have is a theory. No evidence from you either. Reading your posts lately make me wonder about you blue.

I just want to get this straight.
    Are you saying that there is not connection between hacker, cracker, and warez groups?

If someone raided an HMV store, driving off with thousands of copies of DVDs and CDs to distribute on the black market;
    The warez people don't do that though. They'll usually obtain a copy of a title via

A) Buying a single copy
    B) Stealing a single copy from a store they visit
    C) Stealing a single copy from a store they already work for
    D) Stealing a single copy from a record company they work for
    E) Obtaining a promotional copy of a cd that is released by record companies

One copy of is obtained, and used for distribution on the internet. If it's used for mass distribution on the streets, they'll use their own equipment to copy the product.

Are you saying that there is not connection between hacker, cracker, and warez groups?
    Hackers, not really. Some lower class groups who distribute via IRC will employee people who are "mass rooters" to setup distribution bots on compromised machines.

Crackers, I'm assuming you're referring to software crackers; yes. There are people who specialize in reverse engineering of copyright protection.

But, just because there's a connection there, doesn't mean there's a connection to the identity theft people. There are people out there who just sit around all day defacing websites. There's absolutely no connection between warez groups, and defacement groups. Warez groups simply recrute people who can assist them in the distribution of copyrighted works. Warez groups have nothing to gain by employing identity theifs, or defacement groups.

Mike: I was not likening the technicality of the two crimes. I was likening the end results.
    Adam Harris
    Technical Director, XOMY Limited
    XOMY LCD and Plasma Televisions :: XOMAC Apple Macs

Hackers have very little connection to the warez groups, crackers however do, these are the people that create the "cracks" so that the software or video game can run without it's original CD.

You stated that the people that steal people's credit cards and pass them along are connected to the "warez" scene, there you are mistaken.

I just want to get this straight.