Google Sued for Click Fraud

It was just a matter of time...

http://www.webpronews.com/insiderrep...lickFraud.html

A class action lawsuit was filed in US District Court against Google alleging breach of contract, negligence, unjust enrichment, and unfair business practices-all involving charges of click fraud. Click Defense Inc, a click fraud protection firm, filed the suit in California in the name of an unknown number of plaintiffs for an amount not less than $5 million.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

It was just a matter of time...
    Guessed so too
    New site: www.talkutas.com

This is what everyone is ranting about, I don't think they will get in any trouble.....way too much money!

Google is pretty strict with their click fraud rules.

If you don't like it, don't use it!

Originally posted by DanX
    Google is pretty strict with their click fraud rules.

If you don't like it, don't use it!
    I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you suggesting that advertisers should either accept losing 20-38% of their ad revenue to fraud because it's the cost of doing business with Google? I can recount some very frustrating and costly stories of click fraud on Google and it is my opinion they could stand to be more diligent in fighting and refunding fraud.
    Rich
    WebsiteMaven - Web Hosting Reviews, Guides, and Advice to Build and Promote your Web Site

The company suing doesn't appear to be a customer. Rather, they sell click fraud guardian software. I don't see how they can seek damages for this claim. If a customer of Google sued I'd be sympathetic (assuming they could prove damages), but this company is either bitter Google wouldn't buy their software or just trying to litigate themselves some cash. Hope they lose
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Originally posted by CTG
    The company suing doesn't appear to be a customer. Rather, they sell click fraud guardian software. I don't see how they can seek damages for this claim. If a customer of Google sued I'd be sympathetic (assuming they could prove damages), but this company is either bitter Google wouldn't buy their software or just trying to litigate themselves some cash. Hope they lose
    Yeah. I think that's kind of the point of the article as they wonder whether the suit is a publicity seeking thing. Of course, the nature of class action suits is that the lawyers who file it file it on behalf of all the customers and then make a lot of money and distribute small checks to those who suffered the damages.

I don't really care if they win or lose, I'm just kind of glad that there is attention paid to it because it is a costly issue to many.
    Rich

Very interesting. Thanks for the link!
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Google isn't the only ad service. If someone doesn't like how they run it, they don't /have/ to use it.

I am thinking that this is just a PR thing for Click Defense and as others have said, something to get a quick settlement out of Google.

Originally posted by DanX
    Google isn't the only ad service. If someone doesn't like how they run it, they don't /have/ to use it.
    So that is the answer?

While that may work for me as I know that the network has fraud and how to detect/prevent it then what is your solution for the new advertiser with little experience on PPC networks? They know little about click fraud or Google's lack of due diligence and they should just figure it out after they've lost money?

I guess I've just never heard of the idea that a company does little to combat fraud and even profits from it and has people defending the idea that "well if you don't like that they profit from fraud then just don't use them..."

There's a ruthless logic here that I'm not connecting to.
    Rich

They are going to gain more attention, they will win out easily and hah, building more trust. *fingers crossed*
    Get help with your server optimization - A forum on server optimization...
    ExoPHPDesk - Powerful PHP HelpDesk

$5 mill eh?

They might be laughing right now.
    TS-Host, A Tulip Company - Hosting since 1995! - AS7219
    Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Bargain Dedicated Servers and High performance Dedicated!
    http://www.ts-host.com/ -@- [email protected] -@- 1-800-977-TOWN

There is fraud EVERYWHERE in every company, if this case goes to any courts, the decision will have to be based on if it was something Google could have prevented, or if its in excess..
    Let Google know when your dead | Read More >>
    Submit Your Press Release, Article, or News Tip Today
    W3Reports - News for Webmasters