Looking For IRC Dedicated server Help!!

Ok here are the constraints,

Needs to be on some sort of Tier 1 BW.

Something in California, Chicago, or Newyork For the phsyical location would be nice. No Tampa, Dallas a maybe but trying to spread out the infastructure.

The server needs to have this or better.
    512 mb ram +
    1000 gb + BW

No need for any control panels, just straight red hat is fine.

Here are a list of companies that wont do ircd or are located in the wrong location.

Layered Tech (disapointed really wanted to buy from them)
    Hivevelocity
    Ev1 (Already have 2 servers there)
    Sagonet
    ezzi.net

I was looking @ Unitedcolo.com justdedicated.com and 1and1.com

Un mettered 10mbs is prefered, but then again i dont want crappy bw.

looking to spend about 70$ give or take $10

Thanks!
    Last edited by UAE46; 06-30-2005 at 05:12 PM.

Try Staminus.net in California, or GigEServers.com or SteadfastNetworks.com in Chicago.

Staminus.net Sold out of everyting in my price range
    GigEServers.com Way too exspensive though they are on some NICE bandwidth

steadfast seems nice but they offer an IRC dedicated hosting service which is like 150$ a month =/

And ive been on hold with 1&1 forever and they have the WORST music ever

1and1.com permits the use of IRC and their prices can hardly be beat. Their a good choice if you can handle yourself on a Linux box but don't count on fanatical support.
    eWebtricity
    Hosting | Web Design | Server Administration
    http://www.ewebtricity.net | [email protected]
    http://www.1and1faq.com 1and1 Customer Support

Originally posted by UAE46
    Staminus.net Sold out of everyting in my price range
    GigEServers.com Way too exspensive though they are on some NICE bandwidth

steadfast seems nice but they offer an IRC dedicated hosting service which is like 150$ a month =/

And ive been on hold with 1&1 forever and they have the WORST music ever
    All the "hold" music is horrible

I heard 1&1 was really horrible when it comes to support so you may want to investigate.
    - 7de5igns

Honestly i was trying to figure out where there data center is located 1&1 music was soooo bad its going to make me not purchase from them. Also heard over crowding was a problem.

FDCservers.net had a nice 5 mb unmettered for 69 a month on Cognet BW

Blacklotus has a 94$ a month deal for 2000gb of bw.

thouse Sssinc-Hosting.com has IRCDs cheap, im just worried if im on a network with a buncha other IRCDs is DDos going to be rampent

Ok one last push for answers Anyone? I may just try to host it @ LT but some one said Savvis doesnt allow it on any of there networks?

Honestly in that price range you are not going to find a stable network for IRC, you could try managed.com they have irc dedicated in that price range but you wont really have a very stable network. Almost the same with any other provider in that range.

To get a decent reliable network you are looking around 150us at least.
    Ryan Dubois
    Director of Sales
    Hostbusters Web Solutions
    www.thehostbusters.com

not sure if the server matrix does or not but i know there a stable network for under a 100. FDCservers.net isnt stable? cognent i thought was decent.

Add CI host to a list of people that dont allow IRC

Add CI host to a list of people that dont allow IRC
    There's no reason to be upset by that fact. Who the **ck wants to host with those scumbags?

thouse Sssinc-Hosting.com has IRCDs cheap, im just worried if im on a network with a buncha other IRCDs is DDos going to be rampent
    To the OP all our clients are thoroughly screened so you need not worry about such. Besides the fact the datacenter runs nine edge routers for ddos firewalling.

In any case good luck in your hunt for an IRC allowed dedicated server hopefully you won't have much trouble in your search.

-Justin
    Justin Schurawlow :: Technology Enthusiast
    Schurawlow PC Repair
    Computer Services for the Lehigh Valley area
    Blog :: The Justin Schurawlow Blog

hehe i have had bad server support @ CI host

If i go EAST coast i want New York specifically to bridge the network to europe. If i go West I want LA Mzima

If im in dallas or chicago i prlly want equinox

Abovenet has been having router issues in Chicago, so FDC has been having a rough couple weeks.

Staminus is your best bet, Matt should have some more cheapo's in the next couple days i thought i heard.

i picked up a really cheap box from nexpoint, which is in virginia, and they lemme put a IRCd there. The network has been amazing, supports been nice and fast, and really well priced (only $50 for my box, a cheapo celly 1Ghz).

~Francisco
    BuyVM - OpenVZ & KVM Based VPS Servers - Chat with us
    - All popular VPN methods supported
    - Affordable offloaded MySQL & DDoS protection
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

I was looking @ Unitedcolo.com justdedicated.com and 1and1.com

Un mettered 10mbs is prefered, but then again i dont want crappy bw.

looking to spend about 70$ give or take $10
    Couple things to note with your search. I would highly suggest you do a search on 1and1 as there are quite a few stories on them. Also you would need to get very lucky to find a server in the $70-$80 price range which is IRC allowed as not many providers offer IRC bargain servers anymore (most companies have decided to phase them out). However you may find something if you search enough.

In any case definitely research is prudent on this.

-Justin
    Schurawlow PC Repair

hehe JS i looked @ your company too but i think i want a dedicated box. Not sure as to the resources needed for an IRC network though. Any input?

Not sure as to the resources needed for an IRC network though. Any input?
    Most who run irc networks typically either go with several ircd shell accounts and/or a dedicated server if they have more funds available. Just my experience thus far on this. Many companies are smart and host servers in a few datacenters to allow clients to have ircd leafs on separate networks so in case of one facility flapping then the other leafs/hubs would take on load of the network.

In any case if you are on a limited budget it may be wise to just look into some reliable shell providers at least initially.

Wish you the best on this in any case.
    Schurawlow PC Repair

Originally posted by DeltaAnime
    Abovenet has been having router issues in Chicago, so FDC has been having a rough couple weeks.

Staminus is your best bet, Matt should have some more cheapo's in the next couple days i thought i heard.

i picked up a really cheap box from nexpoint, which is in virginia, and they lemme put a IRCd there. The network has been amazing, supports been nice and fast, and really well priced (only $50 for my box, a cheapo celly 1Ghz).

~Francisco

Not trying to hijack the thread, but that is a bunch of boloney, since we are on the SAME routers connecting to abovenet as FDC in chicago, and we have had 0 downtime in this time period of a couple of weeks you refer too.

So NO abovenet is not the one having problems, just Like Level3 wasnt the one having problems when they switched from Yipes to abovenet for IRC in the beginning of the month.
    GigeNET
    Dedicated Servers + Cloud Servers + Colocation + DDOS Protection + IP Transit with FCP optimized routing
    Locations in Chicago Los Angeles and Ashburn

http://dedicatedplace.com/servers.htm

Any experience with them, awaiting the final word on IRCD from them /me crosses fingers

As shown by dnsstuff.com dedicatedplace.com is actually a LayeredTech reseller more then likely (their plans seem about right as well as the fact that their IP address resolves and shows up as an IP owned by LT) IP Whois

thus UAE46 as they would be bound by the same TOS/AUP as LayeredTech uses then you will probably be getting the same no irc allowed response.

In any case as always best of luck in your search.
    Schurawlow PC Repair

http://dedicatedplace.com/servers.htm

Any experience with them, awaiting the final word on IRCD from them /me crosses fingers
    Hi,

Thank you for your interest but unfortunately, IRC / IRCD is forbidden to our Network. It is LT's policy and we need to be strict on this also.

Regards,
    Charles

looking @

Staminus
    Black Lotus
    Sago Net
    Sssinc-Hosting

gige sounds nice but its a bit too expensive

Does it matter when a host says Free inbound or out bound? i mean i assume @ 1 terabyte and 2 terabytes that its really mute point?

Originally posted by ameen
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but that is a bunch of boloney, since we are on the SAME routers connecting to abovenet as FDC in chicago, and we have had 0 downtime in this time period of a couple of weeks you refer too.

So NO abovenet is not the one having problems, just Like Level3 wasnt the one having problems when they switched from Yipes to abovenet for IRC in the beginning of the month.
    Well you got damn lucky.. Had to pull a leaf out of FDC and get it elsewhere due to the spontaneous ping outs affiliated with FDC networks.. I'd never recommend them for any sort of stable service.. Though their uptime has greatly improved as of late - A while ago it was quite a different story..

Does it matter when a host says Free inbound or out bound? i mean i assume @ 1 terabyte and 2 terabytes that its really mute point?
    That simply means if you get ddos and it gets past their firewalls (which it really should not get past the datacenter's firewalls obviously) you would not be billed for it basically. Mind you in many cases that is just window dressing and if the datacenter allows IRC they normally wouldn't be billing you for that traffic anyhow (at least from what I have been told).

-Justin
    Schurawlow PC Repair

from what im reviewing above and my personal experience my two cents goes with 1and1 or fdcservers.net for your budget but remeber and expect to be your own tech suppor team
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Originally posted by ameen

Well then you would know better than me

I'm only going by what I was told by Petr, and have read in many irc channels.

~Francisco
    - 5GB backup space, unmetered private LAN bandwidth & native IPv6 included. All with a strong serving of pony

hehe thanks guys i appreciate it a lot i think im going to go with staminus they have some new servers today !!

hehe thanks guys i appreciate it a lot i think im going to go with staminus they have some new servers today !!
    Would be a great choice

For the west coast they provide some crazy-*** low pings, like 30 ms from Victoria, BC Their network is solid, and has outstanding filtering so even though they have a lot of IRCd's, you'd never notice a dDoS. These days matt can filter upwards of 1.5Gbit worth of dDoS without nullroutes. Within the next two months he's bringing in a few more gige lines, bringing in even more filtering

~Francisco

hehe that sounds like some cool stuff though http://www.dinix.com/hosting/dedicated010.htm just contacted me there server specs arnt bad, im just trying to figure out what Unmettered means with them.

There @ internap in altanta, ive had good experience with internap there.

2.2 AMD Athlon Processor
    512MB DDR RAM
    60 Gig Western Digital 7200 RPM
    Unmetered bandwidth
    3 IPs included
    Free Plesk!

Odd that they would offer you IRC, when they have a policy stating NO IRC, and that any sort of dDOS to their network will not be tolerated o_O

http://www.dinix.com/about/aup.htm

~Francisco

lol im wondering the same thing

heres what the email said

"I am replying to your Hosting Request. Hi, first let me introduce ourselves. We are Web Host Plus, the parent company of Dinix, a Tier 1 provider of Hosting Services since 1998 located in Fort Lee, New Jersey, and we have the Right Hosting Plan for you! After reviewing your request, it seems that our Dedicated AMD Server Plan exactly matches your needs and it supports IRC! Please check it out at http://www.dinix.com/hosting/dedicated.htm."

After reviewing your request, it seems that our Dedicated AMD Server Plan exactly matches your needs and it supports IRC! Please check it out at
    And yet they clearly state in their AUP they do not permit IRC/high risk hosting? Something doesn't quite jive on that one.
    Schurawlow PC Repair

lol im wondering the same thing

heres what the email said

"I am replying to your Hosting Request. Hi, first let me introduce ourselves. We are Web Host Plus, the parent company of Dinix, a Tier 1 provider of Hosting Services since 1998 located in Fort Lee, New Jersey, and we have the Right Hosting Plan for you! After reviewing your request, it seems that our Dedicated AMD Server Plan exactly matches your needs and it supports IRC! Please check it out at http://www.dinix.com/hosting/dedicated.htm."

Maybe they don't allow linked servers. But if they don't, then that doesn't help you either, since you have a network, not a single box.

~Francisco

Perhaps it's an auto reply.

I would personally recommend looking into a IRC friendly VPS solution for a medium network.

If you would like to run a smaller network you might be satisfied with a shared IRCd account.

Otherwise, Staminus would be your best choice.

Just have some patience and wait for server stock or specials.
    All My Data From small shared web hosting accounts to powerful dedicated servers.
    Now offering Affordable UNIX shells and IRCd hosting!