How big a difference does Ram Make?

How big a difference does Ram Make? After 256 mb of ram I mean. Does 512 mb of ram make that much more of a difference?

Thanks,
    Milanaz

Depends on what your doing with your VPS, I guess.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

For an image hosting site, plus in general when should you upgrade to more RAM when your load gets over a certain amount?

You're mainly looking for extra CPU. I usually never use more than 3/4 of the RAM I have.

GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

It totally depends on the purpose of your VPS. In our experience, for most users 256mb is enough.

Basically every application you use uses a bit of RAM. Particularly databases use up a lot of RAM, and certain other applications to too. However as long as you don't use up 100% of your RAM, there will be no difference in performance (regardless of whether you have 256mb or 512mb of RAM).

You'll be okay unless you are using a database of some sort like MySQL. (e.g. messageboard/forum) If you are, you will want a lot of RAM.

That just depends on how large and how active the database is. Just because you would be running MySQL doesn't necessarily mean you need a lot of RAM.

I'd get 512 MB ram for good measure.