Oops! B.C. Ferry Runs Aground In West Vancouver

B.C. Ferry Runs Aground In West Vancouver

June 30, 2005

By KOMO Staff & News Services

Witnesses say the vessel missed the terminal berth and was blowing its horn as it crashed into Sewell's Marina; early reports suggest no one was hurt.

WEST VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA - A B.C. ferry ran aground Thursday morning at a marina while docking at Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver, British Columbia.

Witnesses say the vessel missed the terminal berth and was blowing its horn as it crashed into Sewell's Marina.

Article here: http://www.komotv.com/stories/37720.htm
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

....and that's what happens when you hire Whistler dopeheads for the summer....dude.

Oh wow, amazing. I always worry that'll happen when I'm vacationing up in Friday harbor on a boat. Looks like some people lost very nice boats, or at least the boats sufferred significant damage
    If you have to operate your company behind the scenes or under a fake name, maybe it's time to leave the industry and start something fresh.

Originally posted by CTG
    Oh wow, amazing. I always worry that'll happen when I'm vacationing up in Friday harbor on a boat. Looks like some people lost very nice boats, or at least the boats sufferred significant damage
    My wife was on the Nisqually when it crashed coming home to Lopez a few years ago. Bad one... the ramp went right over the hood of our truck... and close to cutting her in two. She was pregnant at the time. They got free ice cream though... the impact tumbled an ice cream truck off its wheels left then right, and broke the refrigerant lines. So the driver was giving it all away. The people on the starirs got pretty banged up. We still have a chunck of wood from one of the wing walls that "exploded".

After the Nisqually crashed, it started drifting until Tug Boats could two it back to Anacortes. She ended up having to fly back to the island late that night. Of ferry landing was in ruins, and no ferry service for days. The grocery store was getting pretty empy.

B.C. has some nice ferry boats, just glad nobody was seriously injured, at least none reported yet.

Originally posted by virginia
    ....and that's what happens when you hire Whistler dopeheads for the summer....dude.
    It was a power failure on the vessel. So is it the old and aging fleet, or shoddy maintenance?
    --

Or just a freak occurence?

Wasn't it the Oak Bay who's engine room caught on fire? Or was that a different vessel.
    Nonetheless, there should be an investigation. If an airplane suddenly lost power and crashed, we wouldn't want to just leave it at "Freak occurence"
    Last edited by MStar; 06-30-2005 at 06:57 PM.

Originally posted by MStar
    It was a power failure on the vessel. So is it the old and aging fleet, or shoddy maintenance?
    Old and aging? Wasn't that vessel built in the 80's? That is hardly "old and aging". Besides, didn't they just do 35 Million in work to it? Unless that was 35 million Canadian dollars.... then that was only enough for an oil change.