Unmetered Windows VPS

I am seeking for a VPS with the following requirements:
    - Windows 2000 or 2003
    - Unmetered Bandwidth
    - 3GB to 10GB storage
    - Control Panel (100 or Unlimited Domains License)
    - Email, MSSQL and MS Access support
    - Reliable Server Hardware and Good Support
    - Monthly Payment

How much bandwidth do you really intend to use?

GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Actually, I do not need a large bandwidth. But I don't want to get a huge bill when somebody DDoS to the sites hosted on my VPS. I have seen such cases and many people got huge bills due to the DDoS attacks.
    RackForce offers limited bandwidth options (1.5mpbs, 3mbps, 5mbps, 10mbps, etc..) and offers unmetered. This surely solve the problem of bandwidth overage issues. However they do not offer any Windows VPS.

1.5 mbps Unmetered is fine for me.

PowerVPS has an option where they can disable your VPS when it reaches the bandwidth limit which may be useful for you. If the attack is actually mitigated properly, you won't see a huge bill. Additonally, PowerVPS has a special where you get an extra 100GB of bandwidth. I believe they are beta testing the Windows VPSs. E-mail [email protected] for more information about that.

GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Disabling the VPS when the bandwidth limit reach is good but it isn't the perfect solution since I need my clients' sites hosted on that VPS to be up all the time. Preferrably having a limited bandwidth like 1.5mpbs (approx. 486 GB/mth), 2mbps (approx. 648 GB/mth) or 3 mpbs (approx. 972 GB/mth) with unmetered option. With that limited bandwidth options, the traffic usage isn't a matter anymore since no bandwidth overage issues exist. I do hope someone could offer that.

Originally posted by erictanjj
    Disabling the VPS when the bandwidth limit reach is good but it isn't the perfect solution since I need my clients' sites hosted on that VPS to be up all the time. Preferrably having a limited bandwidth like 1.5mpbs (approx. 486 GB/mth), 2mbps (approx. 648 GB/mth) or 3 mpbs (approx. 972 GB/mth) with unmetered option. With that limited bandwidth options, the traffic usage isn't a matter anymore since no bandwidth overage issues exist. I do hope someone could offer that.
    Well if it's capped at 1.5mbits your VPS will be down during a DoS anyway.

GSV

Originally posted by elix
    Well if it's capped at 1.5mbits your VPS will be down during a DoS anyway.
    True. I personally suggest that you go for a metered solution (and not the 1.5mbits), since it will cost you less and you'll be practically getting "the same" thing.
    Have a question?

Most providers null route the DoS packets as soon as they notice. Bandwidth overage issue is the main concern for me currently. The overall traffic I might need for my client sites may be less than 500 GB per month. But I do not want to end up with huge bandwidth overage costs in case of some thing silly like DoS happends. If somebody can gurantee for the DoS protection, I might try to consider for the metered bandwidth options around 500GB/month (But only if I can assure DoS can't happend).

Originally posted by erictanjj
    Most providers null route the DoS packets as soon as they notice. Bandwidth overage issue is the main concern for me currently. The overall traffic I might need for my client sites may be less than 500 GB per month. But I do not want to end up with huge bandwidth overage costs in case of some thing silly like DoS happends. If somebody can gurantee for the DoS protection, I might try to consider for the metered bandwidth options around 500GB/month (But only if I can assure DoS can't happend).
    If 'most providers nullroute the DoS packets' as you claim, then why would it use up bandwidth? (except for inbound which is very little)

GSV

I've experienced with The Planet. They've nullrouted the packets as soon as they've noticed (or found out) the DoS attack after 2 days. However, the bandwidth was used upto extra 10GB and 50GB (I forgot the exact bandwidth which was caused by the DoS) within 2 days of that attack. And that's one case only.

Another case is there's many providers offering 10 mpbs unmetered dedicated boxes with the monthly cost under 200$. The only fact which I havn't getting the another new dedicated box is the price isn't under 100$/month. I cannot afford getting a new box with high cost when the initial client potential is not known for that box yet.

If I have the known client potential and exact profitable revenue figures, I would have taken the managed dedicated servers from rackspace. Only because of with the limited budget and the unpredictable client potential situations, I'm seeking for an unmetered VPS.

Instead of requesting an unmetered VPS you will be better off by just getting a regular bandwidth limit (like 400gb), and simply ask the host to enable traffic shaping on your account.

Our customers asked that to us before for the same reason and it works perfectly according to them.

Basically any host that offers Virtuozzo can do this.

hey good luck there fella with your vserver
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Originally posted by Apoc
    Instead of requesting an unmetered VPS you will be better off by just getting a regular bandwidth limit (like 400gb), and simply ask the host to enable traffic shaping on your account.

Our customers asked that to us before for the same reason and it works perfectly according to them.

Basically any host that offers Virtuozzo can do this.
    I am interested about regular bandwidth limit (400gb) and traffic shaping. Can you please explain more?

Traffic shaping will basically allow you to limit transfer rates yourself. It can be used fairly easily with any linux server. You can also do the same thing with windows but I don't have any experience there.

15. nothing is ulimited.........every thing has limit
    Last edited by nida_pakistani; 07-02-2005 at 10:10 AM.

Hi nida,

I'm not talking about "unlimited" bandwidth here. I'm here mentioning about "unmetered".
    unmetered 1mpbs has the limit of approximately 324 GB per month if you utilize the alloted bandwidht 24/7.
    unmetered 10mbps has the limit of approximately 3240 GB per month if you utilize the alloted bandwith 24/7.

for the control panels, almost all of the control panels have the unlimited domain license with different pricing.

There is no such thing called unlimited for Bandwidth and Storage only. "Unlimited" Domain licences do exist. and "Unmetered" Bandwidth do exist with fixed bandwidth pipe.