Average shared clients on a server.

Now i know there are so many factors that go into this but just to get an idea, how many shared accounts usually end up on a server? 50,100,500,1000?

Well that is a very braud question there are many factors that will affectt he ammount of account the two main ones are the severs hard drive size and then the speed of the server and the qualty of the host

Originally posted by PWH-Mike
    Well that is a very braud question there are many factors that will affectt he ammount of account the two main ones are the severs hard drive size and then the speed of the server and the qualty of the host
    Thanks for not answering the question.

It will vary from host to host but I would say on average my guess would be 250-300 range. I say this based on what I have seen personally with different hosts.

Some hosts may run workhorse servers and stuff 500+ sites but there is no "standard" by which hosts go by.

You might be looking for a different answer and if so maybe more specific question could be asked.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Originally posted by detz
    Thanks for not answering the question.
    How many people can you fit in a building?

That answer was right on. A huge portion of it depends on your company and your accounts.

I offer accounts without mysql/cgi/php access, on average I could most likely fit over 500 onto a small machine, now on my php based accounts I would not nearly be able to fit that many onto the same machine. The easiest way to figure this out is to do this:

Take your plan you expect to sell the most and see how many times you can fit it into your server taking into accounts overhead for your own personal sites as well as usage for system files and whatnot. Take into account your overselling and you'll have a rough idea.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Thanks GWDGuy, that's what I wanted to know. I didn't think it was under 100, especially if they only charge <$10/site.

It depends of the server software as well as of the processor and other hardware. Most hosts will tell you that they host no more than 100 - 150 per server but if you check on whois.sc you'll see that there are some that put 600 - 700 site per server... so they oversell.

I can say that if you use Xeon or Dual Xeon processors with 2 gigs of RAM, 200 GB discs and software that gives good performance then you can place up to 500 web sites... But they should be small ones and you must not oversell neither space nor bandwidth.

... one more thing. It is not the same if you host large e-commerce web sites or applications that need to use a lot of resources. Then you can place no more than 50 web sites on the server.

Best Regards
    Dimitar
    Last edited by dawhb; 06-30-2005 at 09:41 AM.
    DawHB.com - Web Hosting Blog | VPSHostDir.com - VPS Hosting Media

Originally posted by fcolor
    [B
    I can say that if you use Xeon or Dual Xeon processors with 2 gigs of RAM, 200 GB discs and software that gives good performance then you can place up to 500 web sites... But they should be small ones and you must not oversell neither space nor bandwidth.
    [/B]
    A Dual XEON Web Server with SCSI hard disks (instead of SATA) and that is running in a cluster (i.e. database, mail & dns on different server), can easily take around 1500 websites without needing a reboot for months...

It depends on too many factors
    init.me - Build, Share & Embed

JodoHost.com - Windows VPS Hosting, ASP.NET and SQL Server Hosting
    8th year in Business, 200+ Servers. Microsoft Gold Certified Partner

Originally posted by Yash-JH
    A Dual XEON Web Server with SCSI hard disks (instead of SATA) and that is running in a cluster (i.e. database, mail & dns on different server), can easily take around 1500 websites without needing a reboot for months...

It depends on too many factors
    True, but that's more than one server we're talking about

Assuming mail on one, dns on another, and web on another, that'd make 3 machines which works out to 500 per machine (understand that all accounts on on one machine, external services, just doing some simple math)
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

It totally depends on the server hardware and connectivity. But like we say that the average speed of a sports car is 150 miles/hr, we could say the average number is 500+ . I think this is what Detz was looking for

Assuming mail on one, dns on another, and web on another, that'd make 3 machines which works out to 500 per machine (understand that all accounts on on one machine, external services, just doing some simple math)
    Yes, but whois.sc would have no idea about that and would report that the server (IP) hosts 1500 sites.

It is not the same if you host large e-commerce web sites or applications that need to use a lot of resources. Then you can place no more than 50 web sites on the server.
    What's large? And why 50? Why not 60 or 40?

The average is - 275 domains to 325 domains.
    IndoUS Hosting Quality IT Services since 2004
    Shared Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Dedicated Servers • Domain Names
    Custom Web Development • Mobile Application Development • SEO
    Custom E-Commerce Solutions, Sports Portals, Health Care - Health Tourism Portals