General PC backups

Hey,

I realise it is time that I started to backup some of my important and not so important information that I have accumlated over the last 2 months since I have bought my PC.

I run XP Pro and as most of us know that comes with a default backup program. My question is:

How good is it?

Are there better open source or freeware alternatives?

Are there better commercial alternatives (that obviously need to be better than the open source/freeware).

Any recommendations appreciated.

Edit: I will either backup to CD or DVD ... the latter being a bit cost prohibitive. I have approximately 60gb of used space (a lot of which doesn't need to be backed up).

I bought an external Seagate 160GB USB/Fireware hard drive and set it up with my computer. I, too, use the Windows backup utility and it works great. Then each month I make a DVD copy of my backup file (about 1GB Now).

I use Norton Ghost 9 and do monthly backups to dvdr on my main drive, and bi-monthly backups of "important" data off my storage drives.
    Happily hosting @ Dathorn.com (Since 3/2003), Ispeeds.net (Since 2004), & Quadspeedi.net (Since 7/2005)!
    Hosted @ FDC for 9 Years

Thanks, if the Windows utility is sufficient then I will stick with that.