Hosting essential scripts

I want to start up my own shared and reseller hosting business and say bye to my manager.

What are the essential scripts for shared and reseller hosting business? i.e private label, ssl, cpanel, directadmin, .... etc
    Is it better to hire dedicated server?

Other than ds and software, where should I pay attention to?

Any professional can give me your professional opinions?
    Cast in thy lot among us;
    let us all have one purse.

OK, my advice is don't give up the day job , unless you are absolutely 100% sure you can make it profitable within a month.
    Do your research- and lots of it, especially when it comes to where you can get your customers from.
    Finding a server and software is absolutely easy, you need to fill it with customers, which is the hard part.

If you want to do it properlly- and make a living straight away, get a dedicated server. You can choose any CP you want- my personal preference is cPanel.
    Other than that, you need to make a website to take orders. I suggest you learn php or perl so that you can make a decent interactive site.
    Also, do you want a windows server or Linux? Linux imho is better than windows, and it's cheaper, and much easier to manage through shell. But if you need ASP and MSSQL then it's the only option.

Like I say- techy stuff is easy- concentrate on the business side of things.

As far as SSL is concerned, if you are using paypal or other merchant accounts to take payment, you don't need one.
    All you need is a domain, and some nameservers. Your domain registrar will setup the nameservers for you, and you just configure them on your cpanel server.
    Andrew Thomas

Thanks.

You suggest dedicated server and install cPanel, right?
    Build a website to take orders, it is better on linux server?
    Use paypal as payment gateway?
    Last edited by Saints; 07-03-2005 at 09:23 PM.
    Cast in thy lot among us;
    let us all have one purse.

There's a "running a webhosting business" forum here on WHT, you'll find a lot of useful info there. Your questions aren't really server-focused.
    Fabio A. Calderon
    C.E.O.
    SEATi

I agree with SEATi.

Also make sure you that you did not inadvertently sign a non-compete agreement when you agreed to your present employment.
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH