* News : Sons of US sports tycoon greeted with blcokades & fierce protests on UK visit

Article extract >>

Protests have boiled over after around 200 Manchester United staged a demonstration as the club's controversial new owners visited their Old Trafford stadium.

Joel, Avi and Bryan Glazer were touring the ground during a 48-hour trip to the UK.

The three brothers took their first joint look at the stadium they now own as a result of their father Malcolm's successful £790m takeover.

Angry supporters gathered at Old Trafford in an effort to stop the Glazers leaving.

A group of around 200 fans were present and United officials were forced to erect security barriers to block off the directors' entrance to the ground.

Mark Longden, of the independent Manchester United Supporters Association, said: "We want to confront them, they have been speaking to everybody else since their arrival in the UK, apart from the most important people, the fans.

"We are blocking all the exits in an attempt to force the Glazers to face us.

"This is a peaceful protest but we intend to get our message heard."

The Glazers were in Britain to offer "the truth" about their plans for United following the completion of their takeover.

They met with representatives of the Football Association, Premier League and the Government.

Joel Glazer, who is tipped to become the new chairman, said: "There has been a lot in the UK press about us in the last 18 months and this has been an invaluable chance to tell the men who run the game what the truth is.

End extract <<

For images :: http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1310213.jpg and http://static.sky.com/images/pictures/1310214.jpg

Also see :: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2...300083,00.html

Although the Sky News article puts the number at 200, there is some disagreement in this area, some fans groups have put it at 800+ and other news agencies settling for 500.

I think someone must've misplaced the welcome mat...eh?

A shame the turnout wasn't hgiher but not bad on such short notice notice.

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 06-30-2005 at 12:29 AM.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

I've actually waited on them before. I used to work at a Deli and had waited on them a couple of times. They are cheap tippers.

Originally posted by recipher
    I've actually waited on them before. I used to work at a Deli and had waited on them a couple of times. They are cheap tippers.

Where was that, in Tampa? Was that long ago?

You'd think with all their money they'd be a bit mroe generous on the tip front in fact.

Well, they were tipping the police last night.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions where possible.

You never know, you might be recruited to spike their drinks or food. Just kidding

Critic,

Update -

Greater Manchester Police defend "heavy handed" tactics :: http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3729232

Critic,

Hmm...

I'll be pissed too if my club is taken over by a business man who wants to squeez every penny out of the club. That is taking the fun out of football...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Originally posted by Critic
    Where was that, in Tampa? Was that long ago?

You'd think with all their money they'd be a bit mroe generous on the tip front in fact.

Well, they were tipping the police last night.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions where possible.

You never know, you might be recruited to spike their drinks or food. Just kidding

Critic,

Yes, Critic, it was in Tampa about 4 years ago. Yes, you would think they would be good tippers! Anyhow, little fact here, Malcolm Glazer said that he would initially fund the money for the new stadium here in Tampa. When the plans were underway, he changed his mind and threatened to leave Tampa with the Bucs if we didn't foot a certain percentage of the bill. I don't have numbers as this is coming straight from the top, but, pretty shady. However, we did win the Super Bowl a few years ago!

I think I'd rather not get on the bad side of English soccer hooligans.
    Rich
    Husband, Father, Retired Marine, Geek

These weren't "English football hooligans". They were passionate and concerned fans [wishing to take part in peaceufl protest], although a minority got carried away, the police handlded the situation very poorly throughout. I've heard word that some are calling for a complaint to be made to the Polcie Complaints Authority over here.

That all said, there is a militant group known as the MEC or Manchester Education Committee, who are supposedly willing to use all necessary means to fight the Glazer's and their plans for the club. I don't know if they were present last night or not, they don't adopt a high profile.

A protest i was on earlier this year where up to 10-15,000 took part wasn't managed overly well, no violence but safety was an issue because if the intense numbers confined into a very small place and not allowed to move for some time.

You avhe to understand, there is a large core of oppositon to this takeover and as a result the Glazer family in general amongst United fans.

And by the way, English football fans, ALL British football supporters now ahve a superb and envied record around Europe and the world.

Critic,
    Last edited by Critic; 06-30-2005 at 11:41 PM.