I have a site set up now and want to transfer it to new hosting . It is all based off invinsion powerboard . I was wondering what is involved with transfering a mysql database and reuploading the forum system so you could never tell it was gone .
Edit: ohh and i have cpanel and so does my new hosting . I saw a mysql backup and restore option is that what I use ??
You could set up the new site to remotely access the old one's mySQL database temporarily, then have some planned downtime once DNS propagates, and during that time, export then restore the database on the new server, and configure it to point to the locally restored database.
You can accomplish this with almost zero downtime (under 5 mins) - and quite easily...
1) take your site offline
2) export your DB via phpmyadin
3) ask your new host to import the DB via root (as Im assuming your DB is too large to import via phpmyadmin)
4) change your config file on your old server to point to the db on your new server
5) put your site back online
6) migrate your http data
7) make your dns changes (all requests going to the old server will utilize the DB on the new server and as dns propogates, all requests will be going directly to your new server)