Thread: nameserver ip's

nameserver ip's

Hi,
    I'm looking to provide reseller hosting, and I wanted to know what the best rout to go is in terms of offering IPs for resellers to have their own nameservers registered

1) Get two IPs and reverse DNS with an unbranded domain.
    2) Make sure your host name is unbranded for the main shared IP too.
    3) Assign resellers the IPs you purcahsed in step 1. Don't physically assign them in cPanel but, give the clients the actual IPs.

That should do you well.

GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I agree, two IP's with unbranded hostname/rDNS. Then a third shared IP for websites. This should work fine for most resellers.

When you say unbranded hostname or unbranded domain, does that mean you register a domain name and use the anonymous info / hide info service provided by paying an extra amount to the registrar?

I think he means something like

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx-reverse.provider.net
    instead of like notaveryinconspicuousdomainname.net

layeredtech provides rDNS afaik, would something like that work, or would it need to be even further unbranded than that?

That would work but I suggest you use:

host-dns1.superDNS.com or something.

I highly suggest you use a hostname that actually resolves to the server.

GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

well, the layeredtech rDNS does resolve to the server.

But again, should it be even further unbranded than that?

So, would you register superDNS.com with hidden whois information feature to make sure it has no connection with your regular business domain name?

Originally posted by WebSpider
    So, would you register superDNS.com with hidden whois information feature to make sure it has no connection with your regular business domain name?
    Yes, that is a good idea. You can use www.domainsbyproxy.com for that.

GSV

I have read somewhere that if this is done, the domain may not legally belong to you if there is any dispute since your own info is not listed as the registrant of the domain. Anyone know if this is the case?

It's technical

Hello,

WebSpider - technically if a domain is legally challenged or disputed then it would be best if you have levels of protection built into your anonymity. That being said, the chance of your domain being challenged is pretty rare and remote.

The best solution to this would be to become a legal business - meaning that you establish yourself legally in your State or locality. You can register as a Sole Proprietor and include a DBA (doing business as: xxxxx).

For example, your name is Mr. Web Spider but your anonymous name attached to your registration of your nameserver is SuperDNS. You can license as Mr. Web Spider DBA SuperDNS.com. One your domain registrant information you could simply list SuperDNS.com as the owner.

If you are challenged you can produce dated legal documents indicating that you are the owner of the domain. This will quickly end any challenge and keep your anonymity.

This is the simplified version of these steps. You are best suited to investigate the regulations regarding this where you reside.