Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Planet

14 35.90%
  • Rackspace

25 64.10%

Red face RackSpace Vs The Planet

Hello,

I'm a currently hosted with The Planet. I have two dedicated high end servers with them, and I pay an additional $250 per month for their platinum support.

I've experiencing even as a platinum support memeber VERY slow support response times. Average response time is 3-4 Hours, with some tickets open 36+ hours with no response. Even some tickets about server being down have gone un answered for 4+ hours.

I'm seriousely conisdering going to RackSpace but I am looking for any current customers to give their review. RackSpace is MUCH more expensive than ThePlanet as my quote was at $2,500 for 1 server with 2,000 Gigs bandwidth (bandwith fees were $2,000 alone) and The Planet is givng me the exact same server with 2,000 Gigs bandwidth for only $550 per month.

Does RackSpace have a good support reputation? How fast do they respond to tickets? And are they worth the much higher price?

Thanks
      0 Not allowed!

RackSpace is a complete fully managed solution and ThePlanet is semi-managed at best. There is really no comparison. If you want to check out another company that offers full management at attractive prices you can look at www.liquidweb.com. Do you intend to use all of that bandwidth? I have noticed that RackSpace charges quite a bit for their bandwidth.

GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by elix
    I have noticed that RackSpace charges quite a bit for their bandwidth.
    Yes, they are charging me a $2,000 per MONTH in bandwidth fees in addition to the $700 per month for the server lease.

And yes, use all the bandwidth for a few high traffic websites
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by 2HostUNow
    Yes, they are charging me a $2,000 per MONTH in bandwidth fees in addition to the $700 per month for the server lease.

And yes, use all the bandwidth for a few high traffic websites
    Hmm..

Try DefenderHosting.

www.defenderhosting.com

Their new site is not up yet, but you can still get quotes and order new boxes.

GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the URL. I am looking for someone with a very solid reputation and someone that has reliable and fast support.

I don't think I trust my servers with someone that doesn't have a website yet.

Anybody can testify for RackSpace ?
      0 Not allowed!

I can say that Rackspace is not all it's cracked up to be - under any circumstances. I'd agree with elix about DefenderHosting (who also owns PowerVPS, among other brands). LiquidWeb is also a solid choice. You might also want to look at HostMySite.com as well, they might fit your needs a bit better than Rackspace but still provide the same level of support.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!
      0 Not allowed!

We've had a few clients go to Rackspace over the years, and they seemed to be quite happy. Rackspace has a rock solid network and fast support. Their definition of fully managed is a little lacking, but everything I've seen says they have fast reboots, 24/7 active monitoring, and a great network/DC.

You may also want to check out servint, as they offer a solid managed server line as well.

- John C.
      0 Not allowed!

I vote for LiquidWeb.
      0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the URL. I am looking for someone with a very solid reputation and someone that has reliable and fast support.

I don't think I trust my servers with someone that doesn't have a website yet.

Anybody can testify for RackSpace ?
    They *had* a website. I've actually seem what their new site actually looks like and it's quite nice, I must say. You should really check them out as their support & network are superb.

GSV
      0 Not allowed!

Look at the screenshot on their coming soon page.
    I havn't used them so I can't reccomend them, but their website sure looks good
      0 Not allowed!

Greetings:

RackSpace is a complete fully managed solution

GSV

While I voted for Rackspace.com, I don't know why some people believe Rackspace.com is fully managed when they are not fully managed.

Rackspace.com does provide managed services, but not a complete list; and many that are not proactive.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by adb22791
    I vote for LiquidWeb.

How fast does LiquidWeb respond to support request on the average?
      0 Not allowed!

How fast does LiquidWeb respond to support request on the average?
    I've actually heard that they are quite slow for that according to some reviews here. However, if you call, they will probably reply ASAP.

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings:

While I voted for Rackspace.com, I don't know why some people believe Rackspace.com is fully managed when they are not fully managed.

Rackspace.com does provide managed services, but not a complete list; and many that are not proactive.

Thank you.
    I see. From their advertising it certainly does seem that it is complete management.

GSV
      0 Not allowed!

I've actually heard that they are quite slow for that according to some reviews here. However, if you call, they will probably reply ASAP.

This is what Liquidweb said about their response times...

Our average initial response time is around 25 minutes over the last
    week. Our average phone answer is under a minute.

Can anyone tell me if this is a true statement?
      0 Not allowed!

Sounds true. I have heard many good things about LiquidWeb around here.
    Plus you get 50GB free off-server backup space when you signup (as of 6/29/05).
      0 Not allowed!

As far as I'm concerned (almost) anything beats The Planet.
    PacketAce
    Because packets were meant to be delivered.
    Premium Mzima Bandwith at Equinix - Secaucus, NJ
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by BaselineAce
    As far as I'm concerned (almost) anything beats The Planet.

I like ThePlanets pricing and features, but I have tickets that have been unanswered for 36+ hours and I pay an additional $250 per month for their platinum support.

I am looking for a solid reputatble server provider that ...

- Is Fully 100% managed
    - Provides FAST support ticket response
    - Has a solid reputation and network

From what I can tell LiquidWeb and RackSpace are the only ones that seem to meet those requirments.
      0 Not allowed!

From what I can tell LiquidWeb and RackSpace are the only ones that seem to meet those requirments.
    I can asure you there are plenty of providers able to meet your requirements out there.

Just because one or two brands are mentioned quite often here at WHT, it doesn't mean they are the only options in the whole world.

Some other providers you may want to look at:

datapipe.net
    xodiax.com
    pair.com

At least you'll extend a bit more your searching...
      0 Not allowed!

This is getting horrible... have 4 tickets open just sitting there...

7915XXPLNT 9+ Hours NO Response At all
    7902XXPLNT - 3+ Hours Since Last Repsonse
    7892XXPLNT 14+ Hours Since Last Response
    7865XXPLNT 39+ Hours Since Last Reponse

This is horrible support on behalf of The Planet.... Definately need another server provider that can respond to tickets within 1 hour and hopefully get a resolution within a few hours (depending on issue). I can't stand waiting almost 40 hours for a reply to a ticket.
      0 Not allowed!

Your post doesn't say if you're on Windows or Linux. If on Windows, I highly recommend either Xiolink or Datapipe for real super high-end managed hosting. I've hosted with Rackspace (and The Planet!) too, and either of those, Xiolink or Datapipe, beat Rackspace in both customer service and price, and still miles ahead of the Planet overall.
      0 Not allowed!

. . . I see. From their advertising it certainly does seem that it is complete management.
    We all have a different perception of what constitutes a fully managed server. What one person thinks is fully managed, might not measure up to another person's standard of fully managed.

It's somewhat a complex issue.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!
      0 Not allowed!

Greetings:

It is not complex if you look at the definitions of the words "full, fully, complete" and then compare those definitions to such pages as

http://www.rackspace.com/services/se...vice_admin.php
    http://www.rackspace.com/services/monitoring.php
    http://www.rackspace.com/services/security.php

Hmmm... does "complete, full, fully" and "optional" mean the same thing?

Or... OHHH... it is OPTIONAL.... I guess that DOES NOT mean full, fully, complete <smile> unless I PAY for ALL of those optional services so I have a "full, complete, fully" picture and service.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile
      0 Not allowed!

I would probably recommend that you choose a reseller in this case. I think The Planet is the absolute number 1 choice when it comes to prices and stability. Okay, their support could be better, but that is where the reseller comes in.

Have a look at Hostgator for example. They are resellers of The Planet/Servermatrix, and they will manage the server for you when buying through them. I think you will get a very good deal with a reputable reseller.
    MP Hosting
    http://mphosting.net
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by mpoulsen
    I would probably recommend that you choose a reseller in this case. I think The Planet is the absolute number 1 choice when it comes to prices and stability. Okay, their support could be better, but that is where the reseller comes in.
    The Planet is picking up a lot of blocklistings lately, which their abuse department is doing little/nothing to correct. If going with a TP reseller, I would only go with one who has their own IPs, and only then if they weren't simply reassigned from within a larger block of TP IPs.

-B
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by JDMundo
    Your post doesn't say if you're on Windows or Linux. If on Windows, I highly recommend either Xiolink or Datapipe for real super high-end managed hosting. I've hosted with Rackspace (and The Planet!) too, and either of those, Xiolink or Datapipe, beat Rackspace in both customer service and price, and still miles ahead of the Planet overall.
    Hello,

This is a Linux server
      0 Not allowed!

This is getting horrible... have 4 tickets open just sitting there...

7915XXPLNT 9+ Hours NO Response At all
    7902XXPLNT - 3+ Hours Since Last Repsonse
    7892XXPLNT 14+ Hours Since Last Response
    7865XXPLNT 39+ Hours Since Last Reponse

This is horrible support on behalf of The Planet.... Definately need another server provider that can respond to tickets within 1 hour and hopefully get a resolution within a few hours (depending on issue). I can't stand waiting almost 40 hours for a reply to a ticket.
    Out of curiosity... have you called them?

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by sirius

Sirius
    I was just about to post that. If you call you'll definately get a response soon.

GSV
      0 Not allowed!

I was just about to post that. If you call you'll definately get a response soon.

GSV
    There's definately no excuse for going that long without getting a response to you ticket. I would think though, that you would pick up the phone and call them to try and get your issue moved along.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.
      0 Not allowed!

Sirius
    Yes, I have made more than 5-6 calls with the NOC staff saying, "We will look into your issue, thank you..."

Actually last night I called and got ahold of an account representative who seemed helpfull.

He forwarded my tickets and issues to the NOC Mangaer Tom Tram which is only 2 levels below the CEO, so he told me to expect some attention from The Planet now that the big guys become aware.

I told them, that I just felt like I was not getting $250 worth of upgraded support, by waiting 49+ hours with no response for a ticket.

Since them a few of my minor issues have been resolved, but on the one ticket, we are now around 49-50 with no response after 4-5 phone calls.

Hopefully Tom Tran will work on my issues and see to it that I get a full resolution
      0 Not allowed!

There's definately no excuse for going that long without getting a response to you ticket. I would think though, that you would pick up the phone and call them to try and get your issue moved along.

Sirius
    I never said it was an excuse but, it's definately something the OP should have done.

Yes, I have made more than 5-6 calls with the NOC staff saying, "We will look into your issue, thank you..."

Actually last night I called and got ahold of an account representative who seemed helpfull.

He forwarded my tickets and issues to the NOC Mangaer Tom Tram which is only 2 levels below the CEO, so he told me to expect some attention from The Planet now that the big guys become aware.

I told them, that I just felt like I was not getting $250 worth of upgraded support, by waiting 49+ hours with no response for a ticket.

Since them a few of my minor issues have been resolved, but on the one ticket, we are now around 49-50 with no response after 4-5 phone calls.

Hopefully Tom Tran will work on my issues and see to it that I get a full resolution
    I agree, it's definately not worth it to pay a premium for support you aren't even getting.

GSV
      0 Not allowed!

This is basically what I currently have and what I'm looking for..

Dual Xeon 2.8 HT
    4 Gigs Ram
    4 x 73G SCSI
    Raid 5
    2,000 Gigs Bandwidth
    cPanel / Whm
    Fully 100% Manged With Support Responses UNDER 1 Hour

Getting FAST and quality support is VERY important to me. That is why I invested an additional $250 per month for upgraded support, which I pretty much did not get anything in return IMHO.

Rackspace offers support responses within 2-5 minutes on the average, but going from $750 per month to $2,700 for the same server is just a little out of reach for me
      0 Not allowed!

Here is what ev1 quoted me for...

> Dual Xeon 3.2 with 4GB RAM, 4x 73GB SCSI HD and RAID 5
    > Free remote reboot and remote serial console access
    > 3,000 Gigs Bandwidth
    > $199 setup, $499 monthly for base config
    > $398 setup, $1018 monthly for two servers + load balancing

Then maybe hiring FastServerManagement to handle all my support tickets?

Does this seem like a good way to go with a high end server and good quality and fast support?
      0 Not allowed!

Take a look at ServInt (Servint.com). They are truly the best in the managed hosting business.
      0 Not allowed!