ServINT VPS - $89/month Service Slow On Me

I was always happy with the $49/month VPS ServInt service.

My server was slow and it would only be fast for the first few hours I restart the server or contact the customer service.

I upgraded about a month ago to the $89/month service which supposedly gives me more memory/traffic, etc. I noticed the server got a lot faster!

But now after a month.. it's slow again.

What is the next step from here? Is it the way my website is designed, do I need to upgrade to their $129/month for more memory? do I need to get a dedicated server?

Thanks
    Spoofee

has your traffic increased over the last month? email the noc and ask them their opinion? they might be able to make some suggestions, help you optimise your servers performance.
    --
    Rich

Kenji4861,

Your website appears to be MySQL based. Therefore, you can install mytop and see if your MySQL database is referenced a lot under it.

You can install mytop with a few simple commands:

Code:
    [root@server]cd /tmp
    [root@server]wget http://jeremy.zawodny.com/mysql/mytop/mytop-1.4.tar.gz
    [root@server]tar -zxvf mytop-1.4.tar.gz
    [root@server]cd mytop-1.4
    [root@server]perl Makefile.PL
    [root@server]make
    [root@server]make test
    [root@server]make install
    [root@server]mytop
    If your MySQL database appears to be referenced a lot that could be an indicator of poor coding.

If you haven't already done so, you should install eAccelerator.

You can find eAccelerator at http://www.eaccelerator.net.

Lastly, you can try turning KeepAlive off in your httpd.conf file. This may decrease peformance a little but, it will decrease load which may actually increase perfromance too.

GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Originally posted by richy
    has your traffic increased over the last month? email the noc and ask them their opinion? they might be able to make some suggestions, help you optimise your servers performance.
    Traffic if anything has dropped in the last month, I will definitely ask about optimization and look into my mySQL coding. I do use mysql database access on everypage.
    Spoofee

Kenji,

Your site loads fast for me, did you change anything?

Nice layout, when did you change it?
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Looks like your PHP isnt cached or gzipped. As Elix said install eAccelerator. Check our your my.cnf configuration too, post it here and we can have a look at it. Check your tables make sure they have the proper indexes.

Seems to load pretty quick for me too, check out alot of the pages, it's a really nice site. Props
    DDoS Protected Chicago and New York Virtual Private Servers with INSTANT setup!
    RAID-10 OpenVZ Virtual Private Servers with hundreds of OS templates!
    CometVPS.com - We're all about customer experience. Try us!

Originally posted by saintagex
    Seems to load pretty quick for me too, check out alot of the pages, it's a really nice site. Props
    Can't disagree, it seems to be fast from here too.
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

Re: ServINT VPS - $89/month Service Slow On Me

Originally posted by Kenji4861
    My server was slow and it would only be fast for the first few hours I restart the server or contact the customer service.

I upgraded about a month ago to the $89/month service which supposedly gives me more memory/traffic, etc. I noticed the server got a lot faster!

But now after a month.. it's slow again.

What is the next step from here? Is it the way my website is designed, do I need to upgrade to their $129/month for more memory? do I need to get a dedicated server?
    My advice to you is to get a dedicated server. Since you are paying $89/mth now, you can get a decent Celeron server for that price and get A LOT more resources and better speed.

ServInt (seems to suffer a lot from slow speeds it seems (at least that's what I gather from reading these VPS threads). The reason for this is, they most likely have a lot of VPSs on a particular server. Their servers might be very beefy, but when overloaded, well...you know the story.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

Originally posted by RossMAN
    Kenji,

Your site loads fast for me, did you change anything?

Nice layout, when did you change it?
    Yes, thanks guys for the tip. I installed eaccelerator and zend's mysql optimizer and now it's running smoothly I just didn't respond, because I felt the problem will be back in a day or two, but so far it's been solid.

Rossman, looks like your page has been updated too. Looks very good.. I must catch up
    Spoofee

Pretty big page, loaded in under 1s ... not bad at all IMO.
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Originally posted by Kenji4861
    Yes, thanks guys for the tip. I installed eaccelerator and zend's mysql optimizer and now it's running smoothly I just didn't respond, because I felt the problem will be back in a day or two, but so far it's been solid.

Rossman, looks like your page has been updated too. Looks very good.. I must catch up
    How difficult was it to install eaccelerator and zend's mysql optimizer, got any links with a guide/tutorial?

Thanks for the kind words and we welcome the competition
    What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

Installing zend optimizer is easy

1. Download Zend Optimizer from site. https://www.zend.com/store/free_download.php?pid=13

2. Backup your php.ini
    cp /etc/php.ini /etc/php.ini.backup

3. Extract the tar file
    tar zxvf ZendOptimizer-2.5.x-Linux_glibc21-i386.tar.gz

4. Change to Zend Directory
    cd ZendOptimizer-2.5.x-Linux_glibc21-i386

5. Run installer
    ./install.sh

Installer now asks you the following.
    A. Specify the location where to install Zend Optimizer:
    /usr/local/Zend

B.Confirm the location of your php.ini file:
    /etc

C. Are you using the Apache webserver?
    Yes

D. Specify the Apache configuration directory:
    /etc/httpd/conf (Note this is different per install, please change as needed)

E. The install script should now detect the right Version of PHP. Choose "Yes" to proceed.

F. Specify the Apache bin directory:
    /usr/sbin (Note this is different per install, please change as needed)

After that, your php.ini is automatically relocated to /usr/local/Zend/etc and a symlink is created.

6. Restart Apache
    service httpd restart

Good tutorial on installing eAccelerator. Install zend before eaccelerator. Also if using both at the same time please install eaccelerator as a php extention.
    Tutorial >> http://forums.deftechgroup.com/showthread.php?t=45

I also upgraded my Servint VPS to the $89/month because load speeds take way too long and the speeds are alot better after the upgrade. However, once in a while, it still does get a bit slow. For an email I got from them, they said it was my neighbors pounding on the server. I really hope there is a better way of minimizing the effect of other vps users have on me.

Originally posted by lemonsensation
    I also upgraded my Servint VPS to the $89/month because load speeds take way too long and the speeds are alot better after the upgrade. However, once in a while, it still does get a bit slow. For an email I got from them, they said it was my neighbors pounding on the server. I really hope there is a better way of minimizing the effect of other vps users have on me.
    That will happen with anything that utilizes shared resources. That's what a VPS is. I know that ServInt puts in some safeguards such as only allowing their top plan to burst to 4 GB (while the machines have more, I think it was 8?) to make sure it's kept stable. They have a pretty well laid plan if you ask me (and yes, I did use them)
    Automated Tendencies - Brand Management Agency from Baltimore, Maryland.
    Reputation Management • Search Engine Optimization • Pay Per Click • Email Marketing

I've been looking around on your website and particularly noticed that you have a large forum. Something that will help increasing your performance a lot is installing eaccelerator. That will cache php pages until they change - which is really useful for forums.

Recently our company has even started to officially support eAccelerator because it works incredibly well - particularly the newest versions.

Give it a shot - if you need help just ask

Originally posted by Apoc
    Recently our company has even started to officially support eAccelerator because it works incredibly well - particularly the newest versions.

Give it a shot - if you need help just ask
    Can you configure eAccelerator to auto delete (or overwrite) files older than a specified number of days?

In other words, how do you ensure that it doesn't keep using all the disk space you have?

Many thanks,

- V

Originally posted by hostingvince
    Can you configure eAccelerator to auto delete (or overwrite) files older than a specified number of days?

In other words, how do you ensure that it doesn't keep using all the disk space you have?

Many thanks,

- V
    You can run a cron that deletes the cache every week.

-GSV
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Set this in your eaccelerator php.ini config

eaccelerator.shm_prune_period="3600"

That cleans it every hour

ask servint to install eacellerator and possibly make some httpd.conf or mysql tweaks...let THEM decide how to best optimize it...they know what else is going on within the server

Pruning every hour, or deleting every week seem like defeating the purpose to me.

Surely the developers that made this 'popular' caching app have someway better for managing these files?

Can it be set to delete/overwrite the oldest as my cache directory reaches a certain limit, rather than just time based?

Thanks.